PDA

View Full Version : Scoliosis Quacks

tonibunny
24th August 2004, 10:10 PM
I was just doing some research on scoliosis and thyroid problems (I'm interested to find if there could be a link, more on that later) when I came across the following site:

Phile Wade, Chemist, Australian Naturopathic Network (http://www.ann.com.au/phil/scoliosis.htm)

I quote:

"Scoliosis emerged as the new mystery disease of the 80s (or was it the 70s?)

It was unexplained, misunderstood, feared and considered a life sentence.

Treatment amounted to pinning the spine straight by radical surgery.

It is still widely misunderstood, still feared and still fairly common. It can certainly sentence the sufferer to a lifetime of discomfort, restricted movement and pain.

It has cancelled many a promising athletic, ballet or occupational career.

It is considered inevitable to the affected person some kind of genetic flaw.

It is also preventable in my opinion."

How terribly ignorant and misleading. He makes it sound as though scoliosis didn't exist before the '70s!!! Note that Phil Wade's lovely little theories do nothing to explain why a scoliotic spine twists up as well as curves.....if it was merely the case of one's spinal column collapsing under the weight of one's head, rotation wouldn't happen at all. Neither does he explain why infants can get idiopathic scoliosis. He makes it sound as though scoliosis is a condition that only affects adolescents.

If scoliosis were down to a nutritional deficiency, we'd be seeing thousands of African famine victims with scoliotic spines. As it happens, scoliosis appears to be a lot more common in Caucasians than in any other race (and especially in those Caucasians with a Celtic ancestry).

This sort of thing makes me so angry!!!

Kaja
24th August 2004, 10:21 PM
:evil: :shock: :rant: :nut: :nutter:

That's just extremely silly.

mark
24th August 2004, 10:47 PM
Yes Toni i agree there are a lot of ignorant people out there and a lot of ignorant people who should know better, if you look at lot of information on Kyphosis specialy in old medical text books and some webites it blames the sufferer for having a bad or slovenly posture rather than as we all know that it is a genetic condition (ihave a paticular interest in kyphosis as that is what predominatly affects me).

The books about hunch backs and blame the patient and the family for allowing the sufferer to have a bad or slovenly postures in their infant years.

I think in some ways the Drs should not take all the blame because these books are what they would have used as their text books whilst they were studying so they were just learning their ignorance from someone elses ignorance.

It makes me really really angry and upset as well toni because all i was ever told as i was growing up was sit up straight and stop being slovenly, stop slouching, its your fault you look like you do stop being lazy (not from my parents ) and all the Drs i saw as an adolescent from my Gps through to the one and only consultant i saw made me feel guilty because they saw my kyphosis as me being lazy and slovenly.

Everyone seemed to be blaming me for how i look and i withdrew into myself and just got on with it i blamed myself and when you do that you give up when people are constantly telling you its your fault you believe them you really do i hated myself for years and years i could'nt look at myself in the mirror (i still do and i am almost 34 how irational is that i should have got over it years ago but i have'nt) everything about life was so painful

Sory for ranting a little i read your post and it made me so angry and so upset at what uneducated morans come out with and it brought back a lot of memories i thought i had buried years and years ago.

Teacher -"Sit up straight, stop slouching " Class - would start tittering and then the name calling then the hell would begin day after day year after year.

Well you b*******s i was sittting up straight, or as straight as i could

tonibunny
24th August 2004, 11:33 PM
Oh Mark, I'm sorry this stirred up bad memories for you. I got bullied for wearing a Milwaukee brace, but was never actually blamed or made to feel it was my own fault by my teachers!! That's just awful. It's not fair. I'm glad you can feel vindicated now.....and you ought to look at yourself in the mirror with pride, because you are a fine-looking man.

Hopefully people who are looking for scoliosis treatment info will come to sites like this one first, so they get accurate information.

Joy
25th August 2004, 02:40 AM
Oh,lots of people thought I just didn't sit up straight or carried too much in my backpack. I'm carrying the same things as they are, it's just I'm smaller so it looks like I'm carrying more. "oh, I have that too, where it hurts to sit up straight. but why would you need surgery for it?" That's bad posture, idiots, not scoliosis!Anyway. They just don't know what they're talking about.

Joy
25th August 2004, 02:46 AM
And type one diabetes is caused by an immune system mess-up, not nutritional deficency. That's why the islet cells are destroyed, not under-functioning!

ivanleg
25th August 2004, 05:38 AM
Quacks like this deserve to be flamed.

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/flamethrower.gif

Kayla
25th August 2004, 07:06 AM
lol ivy! hehe those are silly

tonibunny
25th August 2004, 12:01 PM
That is a *fantastic* icon Ivan :D

If anyone else finds an example of scoliosis-related quakery, please post it here! The more of these we find, the better. We can explain why they are wrong.....hopefully it will be useful info to have, for people who come here not really knowing anything about scoliosis.

mark
25th August 2004, 01:07 PM
If i can find the web sites again i will post the links some of them are dreadful

Crazy16girl
25th August 2004, 02:16 PM
I actually use to get told to SLOUCH by my friends, it use to upset me when i was age 12-13 because i couldnt, if i did it hurt. And i had no idea why. I use to get bullied in PE aswell because i couldn't keep up.

Also "It is also preventable in my opinion" ok, if it is i would love to know how. For gods sake that quote wound me up. :evil:

tonibunny
25th August 2004, 03:42 PM
Ha, I've been told to slouch before!!

"Stop sitting up so straight!! Relax, can't you???"

Pah!!! We can't win!!!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Joy
25th August 2004, 04:19 PM
Of course not. If we could win, that would take all the fun out of life.