PDA

View Full Version : ME AGAIN/CASTING

snowy24040
27th June 2007, 12:38 AM
IVE JUST BEEN ON THE NON SURGICAL SITE AND THEY ARE DISCUSSING CASTING ,I THOUGHT TO HAVE A CAST COURTNEY WOULD BE PUT TO SLEEP ?OR DO YOU STAY AWAKE WHEN YOUR OLDER IM CONFUSED. :help:
BY THE WAY COURTNEY HAD A POWER NAP WHILE I WAS AT WORK WHICH IS WHY IM ANNOYING EVERYONE THIS TIME OF NIGHT SHES STILL RUNNING AROUND FULL OF BEANS.

SHARON

crkcallie
27th June 2007, 12:44 AM
I have never heard of being put under anesthesia for a cast. That sounds bizarre to me. I was put in plaster to be fitted for my brace. I would imagine they would keep her awake to do it. If not, then someone can correct me on this information.

Mandy
27th June 2007, 01:11 AM
Callie,
She is talking about Serial Casting not just making a cast mold for a brace. For the Serial Casting I believe it is normal to put the person under anesthesia no matter what the age because of the amount of distraction used to straighten out the spine before applying the cast itself. I know that the casts are only used up until a certain age, so I can't imagine even an early adolescent doing well for the casting procedure while awake. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Sealy
27th June 2007, 04:21 AM
I agree with Mandy! I'm certain they will put Courtney under general anaesthesia for the cast. Refresh my memory....she has idiopathic scoliosis? Congrats on getting an appointment with Mr. Taylor!!!!! :niceone:

sins
27th June 2007, 10:42 AM
Small children are anesthetised for casting usually as otherwise the manipulation of their spines would be too distressing for them.Technically it could be done, but they may not cooperate very well.
Sins

andrea
27th June 2007, 02:12 PM
I agree with the others - she'll definitely have a GA for casting. It would be hugely traumatic for her to be awake. I've only known of one case where the child was awake, but she was 8 and understood what was going on. I know Toni was awake when she was cast as a youngster, but it's not the practice now. The first cast usually takes about an hour and a half.