PDA

View Full Version : Cracking back

Blair
23rd August 2004, 03:24 AM
Sometimes I will wake up at night and sit up too quick, or twist a little too far too fast, and the part of my back that is fused/instrumented will grind and crack.

Saw my doc not too long ago and mentioned this to him. New x-rays were taken, and everything looked as it should. But it still is a little worrisome to me....

jfkimberly
23rd August 2004, 03:27 AM
I can't offer you any advice or anything, as I have no instrumentation and pretty much zero flexibility/mobility in my back, but I'm curious... How can you tell where the grinding and cracking is coming from? What does it feel like? Is it just weird, or is it painful?

Kayla
23rd August 2004, 03:52 AM
Sometimes when I am doing something strenuous my back cracks too but it feels soo good!

titch
23rd August 2004, 10:59 AM
I get a certain amount of that, and went through a stage where it was pretty common. It's happened a lot less since my back finally stabilised and started to really feel fused, but I think that's probably coincidental, because as we're approaching autumn it's starting to happen again. In any case, I can well understand why it's worrying - it had me pretty worried when mine was doing it. However, everything looks stable on my xrays too, and the doc reckons it's either ligaments/tendons making the noise when they move suddenly, or in some cases may be the joints that the ribs make with the spine that are making the noise. Either way, the impression that they gave me was that it's actually pretty common, certainly enough that they weren't at all worried by it - hopefully yours is just the same :D

BlueIce
23rd August 2004, 11:28 AM
mine cracks too sometimes. Not much, just a light sound and a weird feeling. It happens most when I'm in the car (not driving myself) and it freaks me out too :-) But I'm probably seeing my doc withing two weeks so I'll ask him to make sure it's nothing bad

boardstalker
23rd August 2004, 12:05 PM
I havent got any steel in my back, but ive put up with cracks and crunches for ages now. It doesnt seem to be changing anything though. I wouldnt worry about it eh.

Blair
23rd August 2004, 12:57 PM
titch- A lightbulb popped on while reading your post- I'll bet it's my ribs! The pain I've been having lately has kind of been off to the right hand side- not right on my spine, but over my ribs.

kim- it's slightly painful, but not really bad. Just one of those momentary irritating twinges that makes you say "ouch" and then you go about life. I can't pinpoint exactly where it happens, but I know it's not down in my lumbar spine since the popping that goes on down there is a lot larger... this feels more like a little slip with a click/pop that I'm not sure is audible....

Liv
23rd August 2004, 01:12 PM
I can crack my spine! But only the parts that aren't fused... :-?

floralgypsy
23rd August 2004, 01:29 PM
If I sit curled up on my chair (as I often do), my lower back will often make a cracking noise as it readjusts to my seating position. I couldn't/can't crack it deliberately though, even someone cracking their knuckles (Liv!) makes me feel sick.

Liv
23rd August 2004, 01:59 PM
I can crack my neck deliberately too, and I was very surprised to see Jessica* doing the exact same thing on webcam! :D

I asked my surgeon about this the last time, and he said it wasn't something to worry about it. Physiotherapy to strengthen the muscles could help though!

titch
23rd August 2004, 02:57 PM
Definitely! I often need to crack my neck, but the last few weeks since I started weight training again at the gym, it's been noticeably less frequent as time has gone on :-)

Blair
23rd August 2004, 07:25 PM
My mom wants to shoot me. I sit and crack my knuckles, knees, ankles, neck, and lower back. Drives her absolutely crazy. But it feels soooooooo GOOD!

jfkimberly
24th August 2004, 12:58 AM
*shudder* It freaks me out to see/hear people cracking their joints.

Marti
24th August 2004, 01:28 AM
me too. There was a girl in a bunch of my classes in middle school and during lit. she would always crack her knuckles, then her neck, then her arms, then her back, then she'd stand up and crack something in her legs, then she'd sit back down and start all over again. It drove me insane! My right wrist cracks a bit sometimes. I think it's from knitting, crocheting, and the violin.

Carly
24th August 2004, 02:05 AM
I hate hearing cracks.... oh i just freak out!

Joy
25th August 2004, 04:24 PM
I want to crack my back really badly sometimes but I usually can't. It cracks on its own soemtimes. But my knees crack all the time, esp after riding.

BlueIce
25th August 2004, 05:48 PM
the first weeks after surgery my ankles used to crack a lot, which was a really freaky sound :-o it's better now, but they still do it sometimes :s

lindzi_11
25th August 2004, 06:24 PM
Omg when i wake up in the morning my bones crack sooooooooo loud. And this is freaky haha but when my dad walks his ankles crack and he can't help it either lol.

Joy
27th August 2004, 05:46 AM
My other joints were all cracking today.

Blair
1st September 2004, 12:40 AM
Apparently my new, improved back does not like my quest for higher education. Second day of class and I'm feeling about useless. My back has been cracking a TON. In an hour and a half lecture, i counted four times that my back/ribs/whatever went out of whack and then eventually popped back in.
It's been more painful. I think it may be muscle spasam related as I have pain along my back, up through my shoulder, and radiating all the way down my arm.
Going to be fun trying to do accounting homework doped up on valium and codine.

Joy
1st September 2004, 02:24 AM
poor Blair. *hugs*

Sarah
1st September 2004, 08:38 PM
What are you studying Blair? Can you have someone to carry your bag. Flutter your lashes at them :-).

My back cracks/pops sometimes. I can make my left hip pop too but not that often and usually only when I've been sitting on my left leg, but has been known to pop while I'm walking.

Blair
1st September 2004, 09:26 PM
I'm studying for a Bachelors Degree in General Business Management. This term I'm taking Microeconomics, Critical Thinking and Reasoning (a philosophy class), and Managerial Accounting. Also am picking up some other class at the local Community College so I am in school full time and can stay on my mom's insurance. Not sure what that class will be though.

Good thing is that I don't ahve to bring my books to class with me. Just a notebook, a pen or pencil, and a calculator. It's great.

I used to be able to pop my hips in and out of joint a lot. but then i strengthened my upper legs a lot (particularly the parts that control hip rotation) and now I only can do it once in a blue moon. Only downside is that now when they pop out, it hurts. Didn't used to before!