PDA

View Full Version : Better ways to sleep?

Seeking_help
19th June 2007, 03:07 PM
I'm just wondering if there are any reccomended sleeping positions for people with spinal issues. I find myself geting a sore back during the night and when I wake up. Any help?

Thanks!

GillyG
19th June 2007, 03:51 PM
Well, personally I've never slept better since we invested in a memory foam mattress. I honestly don't know how I would have survived post-surgery without it as you have to sleep on your back for the first couple of months while it's fusing and I could never sleep on my back before!

RugbyLaura
19th June 2007, 04:59 PM
Hi,

We bought our daughter a memory foam mattress topper. It's about 6cm thick & cost 99 (single size). It's sooooo comfortable, I want one too. Shame you can't try one out all night. I always think that about beds, they're such an investment and so individual, you never really know if it's any good until you've slept on it. I notice that Tempur do a 60 night trial, but they're quite pricey.

Laura

crkcallie
19th June 2007, 07:47 PM
I don't have a memory foam matress, but I tend to sleep on the carpeted floor. It's firm enough that when I wake up in the morning, I have NO back pain and I'm able to move around without much discomfort.

Amazed Jean
19th June 2007, 07:49 PM
My mattress has a foam topper on it and it seems to work well. I am never really comfortable staying in one position all night but I sleep the longest on my right side. It's also always good to have your knees bent if you have spinal issues to help take your weight off your spine. The other thing I sometimes do is to put a small throw pillow between my knees. It seems to also help take stress off my spine when I lie on my side. I went to a sleep cloctor who also had us raise the head of our bed up about 6 inches. We just put wooden blocks under the legs at the head of the bed. He is convinced that people with breathing and back problems seem to breathe better and he says it also helps with sinus drainage an/ or reflux. His thought is that when we lay down our lower body weight is often shifted up slightly which puts more stress on your diaphram, lungs and other upper organs. Since we raised the head of our bed it does seem a bit easier to breathe so we still have it that way after 2 years. Can't hurt and its free!

ScoliJess
19th June 2007, 09:07 PM
I've got a memory foam mattress topper and have found that I have far less pain and sleep lots better since I got it! Woulld recommend one definately.

Thaleias spirit
19th June 2007, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by GillyG@Jun 19 2007, 03:51 PM
I honestly don't know how I would have survived post-surgery without it as you have to sleep on your back for the first couple of months while it's fusing and I could never sleep on my back before!
What??? Really? Am trying to remember here .. I think I slept on my side if I was able to. I found it too difficult to lie on my back. The last night in hospital I slept on my side (was sitting back into the bed and kinda fell in to a half on stomach/half on side position .. but I slept all night that night).

I took to sleeping on my quilt at one stage and it helped for a while. Have debated changing mattress again because I can't sleep a full night and the pain I have in the lumber area/pelvis in the mornings is just unreal. So it would be interesting to see if a change of mattress would be any help.

Of course if I could try one overnight it would be much better ....

titch
20th June 2007, 09:45 AM
It was lumbar pain and stiffness in the mornings (it got to the point I had to be up for 30 mins to an hour before I was able to reach my feet to put socks on) that led us to get a new mattress several years ago. We couldn't afford a foam mattress at the time, so got a soft pocket sprung one instead. It's getting to be much the worse for wear some 8 years or so later, but it was an absolute godsend.

Since the last surgery I've been unable to sleep on hard mattresses not just because of my back (in fact for a while my back was not really bothered terribly much as long as it was only for a couple of nights although lately it is again) but also because lying on my side gives me terrible attacks of bursitis in my hips, left especially. It can be bad enough that I can scarcely walk. I'm *hoping* next year to find the money to get a Tempur mattress - a nice 6ft one seeing as the current 5ft isn't really big enough for the 2 of us and 2 cats, and that was before Will :lol:

Seeking_help
20th June 2007, 03:17 PM
Hmmm...looks like I might have to take a look at a memory foam mattress. Any specific brands/models I should look at?

Lucy7
20th June 2007, 03:17 PM
I have an S curve and find that lying on my back on a Sealy bed (with a "soft top" rather than a "pillow top") is best. If you lie on your back, be sure to put a small pillow under your knees. But in winter, when I'm cold, I prefer to sleep on my side and then I make sure the little pillow is between my knees. Having said that, I was in massive pain past night and just ended up on the carpet.....!

GillyG
20th June 2007, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Thaleias spirit+Jun 19 2007, 08:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Thaleias spirit @ Jun 19 2007, 08:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GillyG@Jun 19 2007, 03:51 PM
I honestly don't know how I would have survived post-surgery without it as you have to sleep on your back for the first couple of months while it's fusing and I could never sleep on my back before!
What??? Really? Am trying to remember here .. I think I slept on my side if I was able to. I found it too difficult to lie on my back. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, that was the advice I was given. I was shown how to do a log roll into bed and wherever I landed, I stayed as I couldn't really move myself around much at first!! :P Eventually I was able to roll over onto my left side and sleep like that for a while, but actually found it more comfortable on my back.

titch
21st June 2007, 11:02 AM
:lol: I know that feeling of sleeping where you land oh so well :P After the revision, I kept getting asked "are you comfy like that?" - I'd ask what was meant, and it was because I was diagonal in the bed because that was how I'd land!! The other entertaining thing was that my left leg was a little lazy for a while, so it wouldn't always follow me into bed, so there were several occasions where I had to ring the buzzer for help because I was stuck there with my leg hanging out, totally unable to either get the leg in bed, or get the rest of me out with it, and of course I'd be a giggling wreck which didn't exactly help me to do anything either :glee:

Ruthie
3rd September 2007, 06:05 PM
I'd also recommend the memory foam mattress topper. I bought a 3" thick double bed topper on e-bay. There are lots available, much cheaper than Tempur for the same thing. It's very important that you know what density it is. They start around 30 kg/m which is low grade. Get at least 60 kg/m, the highest I saw was 104 kg/m. The toppers are fine as long as you have a decent mattress underneath. If you buy a mattress look to see how thick the memory foam layer of it is, end what density it is. I now wake up free from pain, and lying flat and straight on my back instead of curved round to the left. :kiss: