PDA

View Full Version : Feeling crap!

Rachie
13th June 2007, 09:33 PM
Hi there,

Just wanted to tell you about the crap time we've just had at GOSH (not the fault of the hospital).

Yesterday Maddy went for her MRI under general anaesthetic. We were waiting there 3 hours and she had been fasting for 4 hours before we even got there. Maddy is my little ray of sunshine, always chirpy and upbeat, despite hospital visits. But this time she was quite down. She was trying hard to do the craft activities the play leader was pushing her way but after a couple of hours she just looked at me and said "I want to go home" - it broke my heart. She was so good having the gas for the anaesthetic, she didn't struggle at all. Me and my hubby just went out of the room and burst into tears. This is the first anaesthetic of many and this was only the MRI, we have surgery to come next.

They said it would take 45 mins but we were waiting nearly two hours, trying so hard not to worry. Then she was sick twice and had to have anti-sickness medication. She was so desperate to go home but when they tried to take her cannula out she completely lost it. She was hysterical :cry: and by this time it was 8pm so I decided it would be better to stay the night rather than try to get a taxi and train home. She did calm down but we were in the same room as a boy hooked up to some monitors. Every time she dropped off to sleep an alarm would go off! To cap it all they don't have pull out beds for parents to sleep on but reclining chairs! My back was killing me (great for a spinal ward!) and they wouldn't even let me have a pillow, so I ended up getting in bed with Maddy! Goodness knows how I'm going to cope when I'm in there for a week with her.

Anyway, having managed to keep down some water and a piece of toast from the night before, Maddy woke up and was sick again! Although the nurses and I decided this was anxiety about having the cannula removed rather than sickness from the anaesthetic, so I got them to take it out straight away before she could get hysterical again. As soon as it was out - a SMILE :-) - my little ray of sunshine was back!

So here we are, home and completely exhausted. The reality of what we are about to go through has hit us. (Maddy is having growth rod surgery in July or August).

I just needed to get that all off my chest. Great therapy. I blubbed my way through typing it. Now it's your turn to say nice things...

Rachie

Amazed Jean
13th June 2007, 11:34 PM
I am so sorry you are all enduring the 'crap" as so aptly put it. It doesn't seem at all fair. She sounds like a little lamb and doesn't need any of this. I'm glad you got into bed with her - it was probably better for both of you. Sometimes Mom's just have to be Mom's - damn whatever nurses etc. say. I am so glad you are all back to normal at home. Can you give a little hug from me? I'll send you one too!

ELLA22
14th June 2007, 07:01 AM
Hi Rachie
Hope that you're feeling a bit better today. I know how you feel! Cerys had her MRI in December and it was awful. We were allowed a parent to go into the room with her though so Dad was with her all of the time. We were also borderline whether ahe would have to stay in as it took her a long time to come around (she had sedation rather than ga). However, next day she was up and about back to normal and it was all forgotten about.
It amazes me how resiliant our kids are! As Toni has said before, I'm sure sometimes it's harder as parents to watch it all. I'm glad you managed to have a good cry about it! I'm sure you felt better after that.
Anyway, I'm sending big hugs for you and Maddy :squeeze:
Love Ella x x

andrea
14th June 2007, 10:31 AM
Aw Rachie, it's hard isn't it? Sorry that your visit didn't go as smoothly as it could have done. Some kids are sick with GAs and some aren't - you just don't know what you're going to get until they have their first GA. Next time, make sure they give her the anti-sickness medicine while she is under the GA. It's one less injection while she's awake and should stop her being sick at all

The canula is always an issue with us too, even after the 15 or so GAs that we've had. She won't use her hand when it's in and insists on holding it out in front of her like a little old woman. I wonder if they're quite painful (although necessary, esp if she was sick) for them. I remember having one when I was pg with Erin, and I couldn't bend my arm with it in as it hurt, so I imagine they're not the most comfortable of things.

Hope you're feeling a little better about it all now.
Big hugs to you and Maddy :squeeze:

Take care
Andrea
xx

GillyG
14th June 2007, 07:39 PM
Poor little mite, I can really sympathise, I hated my canulas and they kept making my arm swell up and had to be re-done. I think I had a junior Doctor doing mine and he obviously still had a lot to learn!!

As Andrea said, now they know she is sick with GA, they will sort that out while she's asleep, so that's one less thing to worry about. She will probably sleep for a lot of the time after surgery and may not be as aware of the canulas anyway.

It sounds like it was a pretty gruelling day all round, I hope you're all feeling a bit better now. Give Maddy loads of gentle hugs from me!

:squeeze: :squeeze: :squeeze: :kiss: :squeeze: :squeeze: :squeeze:

Gilly xx

scolioscott
20th June 2007, 08:14 PM
Poor you, how awful for you all! I had a tear in my eye just reading it (mind you I cry far more since I've had kids! - even Eastenders sets me off sometimes).

I think the worst thing is knowing there's more to come and then you've got apprehension on top. I find bribary and spoiling works best (as if you haven't done that already!)

H 8)

Nicki
21st June 2007, 12:23 AM
Hi Rachie

So sorry you had such an awful time with Maddy's MRI. She sounds such a brave little girl.
It is really good to get it off your chest, and this site is great for getting support and feeling much stronger and ready to cope with the highs and lows.

Nick :squeeze: