PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Positions

LightningRod
20th April 2004, 08:25 PM
I ussually have almost NO pain out of my back (one of the lucky ones :) ) But I occasionally wake up in the mornings, and will be sore for a couple of hrs.. I have to stretch out a lot. This never happened to me b4 the surgery... It is almost in a different place every time as well. This morning, happened again, my back has been sorta sore all day... This happen to anyone else? Did I just sleep in a weird position or something?

Is there any sort of position that ppl with rods are NOT supposed to sleep in? I can barely remember my doctor telling me something about sleeping on your stomach... but I can't remember if he said that I could... or I couldn't... or rather shouldn't neway... ;-)

Blair
20th April 2004, 11:08 PM
Well, I sleep in some WIERD positions, torso going one way, hips going another, all twisted around. I wake up sore sometimes. The pain is mostly in my ribs though. I think it's odd that when I stress my back, my ribs are what ends up hurting most...
I can't stand sleeping on my stomach. It just hurts after a few minutes.

Jonny
20th April 2004, 11:19 PM
I always used to sleep foetally, curled up on my side. When I got the brace I could only sleep on my back - which I had to learn to do, as I could never sleep on my back if I wanted to. Now, even though I have learnt to sleep on my side in the brace, I don't - it affects my neck and it aches for the day ahead.

Kayla
20th April 2004, 11:28 PM
I take nighttime tylenol so I fall right asleep but my leg always hurst before I go to sleep and I toss and turn

Lieve
21st April 2004, 12:23 AM
I used to sleep on my side all my life. When I had broken some stuff I learned to sleep on my back and since then mostly I sleep on my back. I'm doubting it's the right way for me coz I often wake up sore :-?

jaedyn
21st April 2004, 01:55 AM
now that i've finally gotten over the initial pain from my fusion forming, i've been sleeping on my stomach all the time. Dr. Dvorak flips out at me every time he hears about it (as do all the other doctors that treat me), but he should have seen it coming. i've slept on my stomach my entire life, i'm not about to stop now.

i get some stiffness in the morning, mostly in my lower back or my neck and shoulders. a good hot shower or a nice long stretch usually works it out.

Carly
21st April 2004, 06:33 AM
I sleep with a brace and i sleep anywhich way is comftrable at the time. I wake up feeling stiff all the time.
I bet you just slept the wrong way or maybe you did something the day before... if it persists though i would gte it checked out just to be on the safe side...

Kayla
21st April 2004, 10:01 AM
I hated sleeping with the brace its was so uncomfortable plus when you wear silk PJ's it just slides and is so annyoing! Have I ever mentioned how much I hated that brace!

mark
21st April 2004, 10:11 AM
I usually sleep in the foetal position and as i go to be d i have a pain in the small of my back.

If i try to sleep on my back i feel like i am drowning and its really difficult to breath.

I am usually tossing and turning all night so i don't have a preference as to whether i lie on my left or right

jfkimberly
21st April 2004, 10:19 AM
I can't sleep on my stomach because it puts too much pressure on my chest, and I can't breathe (not enough lung capacity to begin with). I sleep on my back, and because I've got a weird indentation between my lower back and where my ribs start I sometimes put a pillow there to fill that space. It's equivalent to "lumbar support," I guess. I used to do this without a pillow under my head (which is really comfortable for me), but that put me in a funny position where my heart was higher than my head, and I'd wake up with the worst headaches. Now I make sure I have a pillow under my head.

I can't sleep on my sides because my circulation to my arms cuts off too easily, and they start to tingle and then go numb right away. If I fell asleep that way, I'd probably do permanent damage. Actually, that's something I need to talk to my doctor about when I finally get an appointment... The circulation has been getting cut off more frequently lately. Like, just when I'm sitting down at my computer, or in front of the television. Off topic. Sorry. *grin*

-kimberly

Jessica*
21st April 2004, 12:53 PM
I can't fall asleep usually unless I lie on my back. It's a good way of going to sleep but no waking up. I swear one night I didn't move AT ALL and I woke up in the morning (obviously) and I was soo stiff for the rest of the day.
If I'm in pain, I prefer to lie on my stomach though - why do you get told off for that Jenn?

DublinPauline
21st April 2004, 01:08 PM
I need to sleep on my side but tend to switch between the two - the left side feels a bit too "slight" to lean on all night but when I'm on my right side (concave) my right arm and shoulder get very uncomfortable.
Could NEVER sleep on my tummy, would feel suffocated. Can't stay on my back for very long although I feel like it's the best option for my back.

sins
21st April 2004, 01:48 PM
My curve is to my left so I always sleep on my left side curled up in a little ball with my arms wrapped around myself. :yawn: yes I wake up sometimes with a dead left arm and on other occasions I have no control over it.My main problem with sleep is that I never get enough. :woe:

iamcrooked
21st April 2004, 01:55 PM
I used to sleep on my sides before a few years ago then I somehow couldnt anymore. Now I can again,woohoo! :)
But I basically fall to sleep on my back with my heads covering my face orso. I also wake up sometimes cause I bend towards my wife cause my curve goes to the left towards her. She then wakes me up, how mean is that?!? :)

But as with sins my hands fall to sleep though if I place them somehow under my body or hold them false on the couch...

Wife can fall to sleep within 5 seconds, I take my time but sleep like a stone...

ivanleg
21st April 2004, 02:00 PM
I go to sleep on either side, legs curled up a bit. Could be due to the fact that most beds are too short for me.

I don't think sleeping on your stomach is good for your breathing. And people who sleep on their back have more problems with snoring I think.

Sins I am a chronic night owl and I find it hard to get sleep before 1am, so I am usually knackered due to lack of sleep. :yawn:

BarmyArmy
21st April 2004, 02:36 PM
I take ages to fall asleep aswell as I can never get comfortable for long periods of time. I have a bad habit of moving about after a wee while which I think my boyfriend is finally getting used too. I was told not to sleep on my stomach but sometimes that's the only way I can fall asleep. I suppose it depends on how bad my pain is, most of the time I fall asleep on my side in the foetal position. I have a foam shaped cushion with a strap that comes in handy. If I'm lying on my side I sometimes put it on to make sure I'm not twisting on my spine and lying in an awkward position. You place it in between your knees and strap it on to one of your legs. It sounds daft but it is really comfy and I've falling asleep with it on loads of times.

When I lived at home and I couldn't sleep I used to put on a lamp and read some books but I don't want to wake up my boyfriend in our house so I came up with a plan. I keep my personal stereo on my bedside table and the headphones under my pillow so I don't make too much noise in the middle of the night. If I'm having a really bad night I listen to comedy tapes or my Harry Potter audiobooks, they help to take my mind off of the pain and I eventually relax and fall asleep.

Little~shedevil~dee
21st April 2004, 02:46 PM
i fall a sleep on my back with my feet crossed i have about 6 pillows as my back hurts i have trouble falling asleep as it doesnt what position i lie in my back and ribs allways hurts i try to go to sleep early but dont go off untill 4am when i wake up my back feels so tight

BlueIce
21st April 2004, 03:08 PM
I sleep on my side (left or right, doesn't matter) with my legs curled up a bit. I change position every once in a while but there's no way i can sleep on my back.. it just doens't feel comfy.

Little~shedevil~dee
21st April 2004, 03:26 PM
i could never sleep on my back untill i had my redcution now i got used to it when i was in hospital i couldnt get out of bed couldnt lie on my side with the tubes every where lol

tonibunny
21st April 2004, 05:00 PM
Interesting thread!!! I am intrigued that people with fusions/rods etc might be advised NOT to sleep on our fronts....I've never been advised one way or the other.

I sleep in a variety of positions but have problems with all of them, and rarely get a good night's sleep. If I sleep on my sides, the circulation to my arms often gets cut off, as jfkimberly (welcome hon!) has also found. If I sleep on my back, it affects my breathing and my neck hurts because of the slight hump I still have on my left shoulder. I often lie with my arms above my head if I'm sleeping on my back, as this reduces the tightness in my shoulder muscles. If I sleep on my front, I don't stay comfy for very long and I can only lie with my face turned to the right anyway, due to my high thoracic left curve.

I often put a pillow between my knees when lying on my side....they lay me like this following my first fusion when I was ten, and I kept doing it because it's so comfortable....I guess it sort of supports my lumbar spine, or my hips, or something. I can recommend you all giving this a try; you never know, you might find it extra-comfy too! :-D

Sometimes I can't bear to have a pillow under my head as my neck is so stiff.

DublinPauline
21st April 2004, 05:25 PM
Toni, that was the only way I could sleep when I was pregnant. I think it keeps your legs aligned with your hips, which causes less twisting of the back.

BlueIce
21st April 2004, 05:32 PM
hmm.. i think i'll be sleeping with a pillow between my knees tonight :-)

LightningRod
21st April 2004, 09:49 PM
Argh, I am still hurting today...

I suspect it is slowly going away. Still hurts to turn around.. checking my blind spots has been a load of fun today :-o :woe:

I tried to sleep on my back last night.. but finally gave up... I couldn't fall asleep. I think I may try the whole, sleeping with my arms above my head thing.. sounds comfy actually ;)

DublinPauline
21st April 2004, 10:03 PM
I like to sleep with my arm above my head too (the one I'm not leaning on). I think that it stretches the back a little and is possibly a subconscious way of opening up the lung?

kkk(arine)
21st April 2004, 10:47 PM
I often put a pillow between my knees when lying on my side....they lay me like this following my first fusion when I was ten, and I kept doing it because it's so comfortable....I guess it sort of supports my lumbar spine, or my hips, or something. I can recommend you all giving this a try; you never know, you might find it extra-comfy too!

I do the same when I read a book in bed (can't read when not laying on my side). It's very comfortable. I agrre with you, Pauline. Your legs are then aligned withou your hips, that must be the reason why it's comfortable.

As for feeling sore and stiff in the morning: I definitely always do when I sleep to long (let say more then about 9 hours...) Otherwise I often wake up with a slightly sore neck, but it's soon gone away.

Karine

DublinPauline
21st April 2004, 10:53 PM
9 hours sleep? :-o :-o :-o In my dreams. :yawn:

Pikey
21st April 2004, 11:06 PM
i wish I slept , i wake up every two hours . I have to change position because of neck and back pain and I can never get comfortable . My best sleeps are after a few drinks and falling a sleep in my recliner chair .

Jonny
21st April 2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Pauline@Apr 21 2004, 09:03 PM
I like to sleep with my arm above my head too (the one I'm not leaning on). I think that it stretches the back a little and is possibly a subconscious way of opening up the lung?
It is, definitely. Apparently my great grandmother used to tell anyone who choked to hold their arms in the air. My mum now does the same thing. Sounds stupid but it helps.

jfkimberly
21st April 2004, 11:49 PM
Oh! I forgot to mention that when I'm sleeping on my back, I almost always have my left arm extended over my head, like tonibunny but not for the same reason. I think it opens my chest cavity so I can breathe better.

I don't raise my right arm because I can't. I have limited range of motion in my right shoulder, so it only goes up about 90 degrees. I really don't know what to do with that arm. *giggle*

So I sleep on my back, with a pillow under the small of my back and another pillow under my head, left arm over my head, right arm just wherever it lands.

nutmeg
22nd April 2004, 05:57 AM
As a child I slept on my side, curled up very tight in a foetal position. I still slept on my side well into adulthood, but not curled up, just gently curved. By then it was definitely my left side that I slept on, can't remember whether this was the case when I was younger. Then for some unknown reason, when I was in my mid thirties, I switched to sleeping on my front, with my head turned to the left. This is still how I go to sleep most of the time., but recently I sometimes find myself going to sleep on my side again.

It doesn't seem to have much to do with comfort, I'm comfortable in any position except on my front with my head turned to the right.

Meg

Joy
23rd April 2004, 01:11 AM
Right after my surgery I slept on my back with my arms above my head. My shoulders hurt too much to do anything else, and I could only strech them when I was lying down.

Now I sleep kinda twisted up on my side. I put part of the quilt between my knees, and the pillow goes all the wayy down under my shoulder so it doesn't hurt my necks, but my torso and legs don't always face the same way.

Crazy16girl
23rd April 2004, 11:45 AM
I find if i lie on the side of my scar my ribs hurt, so i quickly turn over, but i sleep in some awkward posisions, and ive never had any soreness in the mornings, i guess im quite lucky :)

Kayla
23rd April 2004, 08:33 PM
I am always uncomfy while trying to go to sleep but aftr I fall asleep I am ok pretty much

rosie
23rd April 2004, 09:50 PM
I think i sleep on my back.
But it used to takes me ages to get to sleep cos i had a really firm matress. so my mum bought me this kind of 2nd duvet, which you put under your sheets or whatever. and thats is so comfy and padded on my back.
I dont get achy in the morning. but i do when i sit for ages lol
rosie xxx

Marti
24th April 2004, 06:30 AM
I usually sleep on my stomach. But after my surgery I've had to sometimes put a pillow under my pelvis becuase it hurts to tilt it. I can't sleep on my back or on my side. It doesn't really have to do with physical comfort, more that I really don't like going to bed with my face exposed to my room. Crazy fears. :-P

Kayla
24th April 2004, 07:12 AM
I can never lay on my stomach to uncomfy

Marti
24th April 2004, 07:15 AM
I wish I could sleep on my side or my back becuase I'm sure I wouldn't ever have any pain if I didn't sleep on my stomach, but I have serious night fright problems. I don't know what it is exactly, but sometimes I need my light on (but I need the dark to sleep, so I huddle under my covers) and I really can't face the door. YEs, I am a freak :spin:

rosie
24th April 2004, 11:20 AM
nah ur not :)
we all have fears of something or other
xxxxxxx

LightningRod
24th April 2004, 01:36 PM
lol, Do any of you use a special matress?

I've seen these really neat new foamy like things for sale that look comfy... anyone know what I am talking about?

rosie
24th April 2004, 02:00 PM
yeh, thats kind of what i have (see my message above.) they are great, sooo comfy :-D

Kayla
24th April 2004, 06:51 PM
Are those the ones that mold to your skin? If so yah they are comfy, I dont have one but have been to the stores that do ;-)

Marti
25th April 2004, 12:12 AM
Those do look comfy :yawn: makes me tired just just thinking about it.

Kaja
28th April 2004, 10:41 PM
I have a Tempur (http://www.tempur.com) matress, and they're great!! :clap: Seriously, I'm never in pain when sleeping, or afterwards. After my op I needed a softer one, but now, and before my op, it's perfect!! Shapes after your body. Aaaaah :-D My grandmother gave me it (she's got back problems), after she found out I had Scoliosis. You really should consider buying one! *falls asleep by thought* :yawn: Snoooor!

LightningRod
29th April 2004, 12:49 AM
They are really expensive! :-o

Jonny
29th April 2004, 01:13 AM
My mattress is delicious - it has about two inches of stuffing on top! But it really doesn't affect me while I wear the brace.

When I saw the topic title I didn't read it as, "In what way do you lie in bed and sleep?" I read it as, "How the hell do you sleep at night? :evil: "
Thought that was quite funny.

LightningRod
29th April 2004, 01:17 AM
Lol! Sorry Jonny... never thought about that!

Blair
30th April 2004, 01:06 AM
He He... That was actually kinda how I took it right to start too.
(second came the thought to post "Verrrrry carefully". :glee: )

Jonny
3rd May 2004, 01:54 AM
Does everyone get a stiff neck after they sleep badly? Is it a scoliosis thing? I always used to sleep on my side, but recently I've had to sleep on my back to protect my neck. Last night I must have rolled onto my side or something, because I spent most of today in qute a bit of neck pain.

Blair
3rd May 2004, 07:33 AM
Nah... Even before my scoliosis got bad (or noticeable, at least), if I slept crooked/wierdly, my neck was stiff as heck.

Pikey
3rd May 2004, 10:29 AM
I can't remember the last time I had a good nights sleep . Before my neck operation I used to wake up when I lost the feeling in my arm and with my neck hurting . Now I dont loose the feeling nearly as bad but my neck is still aching . I was never told what posistion to lye in either but I do like to sleep on my front because if I lye on my back I get pain from a disc just below my fusion , I generally toss and turn all night though . I am hoping my neck will settle down soon and I will get some sleep .

mark
5th May 2004, 05:47 PM
I hope you do too pikey there is nothing worse than going to bed and not being able to sleep the time doesn't half drag and if you get up there is generally nothing on the telly.