PDA

View Full Version : my son has congential scoliosis

michelle wessollek
13th June 2007, 12:00 AM
Hi my name is michelle and I have a son who has congential scoliosis he has the vepter implants one on each side that go from his top rib to his pelvic.I dont have any ?s now.I just wanted to introduce my self to the forum.If anyone has any ? I would be glad to try to answer.thanks Your Friend Michelle

pink_candy_swirl
13th June 2007, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by michelle wessollek@Jun 12 2007, 10:00 PM
Hi my name is michelle and I have a son who has congential scoliosis he has the vepter implants one on each side that go from his top rib to his pelvic.I dont have any ?s now.I just wanted to introduce my self to the forum.If anyone has any ? I would be glad to try to answer.thanks Your Friend Michelle
Hi there! :welcome2: May I ask what vepter implants are? I really want to learn as much about scoliosis as I can. Can I also ask how your son was diagnosed congenital? I was diagnosed idiopathic but now my sister has being diagnosed with scoliosis. We do not know anything about her yet as her first appointment is July 2nd. I'm guessing that both of us are cngenital since we noth have it.

michelle wessollek
13th June 2007, 02:46 AM
VEPTER means vertical expandable prosthetic titanium rib.Congential means born with.I was about 5 months preg with James I was told I should get an abortion that if he lived he would be a vegtable. Well he isnt. I was told that his scoli is caused from hemi vertabra that is were part of the vertabra is missing.He also has fused and missing ribs as well as thoracic insufficiency syndrome.He was born with a 55 degree curv and was stable until he was one and a half then it progressed to 63 in just acouple of months.I too am still learning as much as I can about scoliosis.My son James is my miricle boy I love to share his story.If you are interested the local news paper where I live wrote a article if you go to Wyoming bikers assosiation then hit search scroll down to #5 its called black leather heart strings click on that.If you have anymore ? I would love to try to answer them.

Sealy
13th June 2007, 04:53 AM
Hi Michelle,

I'm so sorry to hear the medical staff advised you to have an abortion - what a horrible thing!!!! I refused ultrasounds for both my kids because I figured that was the whole point behind them and I wasn't the least bit interested in knowing what *could* be wrong with them and then having to make such a heart wrenching decision.

Amazed Jean
13th June 2007, 08:25 AM
Michelle, Welcome to SSO. I see you must live in the states yea! It's a shame that you and your son must go through all your trials and tribulations. Glad you found us! I can't seem to find the website you were mentioning. Can you please give us the whole website again?

sins
13th June 2007, 10:44 AM
Hi Michelle and welcome,
We get many questions about the titanium rib but you're actually the first person whose child has been fitted with it who has actually posted.We're so pleased that you want to share your experiences with us and once again welcome.
Sins

andrea
13th June 2007, 01:56 PM
Welcome to SSo Michelle. I've read quite a bit about VEPTR, although few hospitals offer it in the UK. As with all "relatively new" procedures, it takes a while for it to filter through the hospitals. Glad to hear James is doing well.

Andrea
x

michelle wessollek
13th June 2007, 05:12 PM
The web site is Wyoming Bikers Association. Click the search then scroll down to # 5 Its called Black leather heart strings click on that.

titch
14th June 2007, 05:47 PM
Hopefully this link should work:

http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/...2d20020ff24.txt (http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2007/05/06/features/range/28a56df62b566f0e872572d20020ff24.txt)

Amazed Jean
14th June 2007, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the link titch. I was driving myself crazy trying to find it. At any rate it's a heart warming story. The little guy sounds like a miracle doesn't he ? I guess I've had my opinion of bikers changed completely!

michelle wessollek
14th June 2007, 09:43 PM
I am so sorry for the run around on the article Iam kinda new at the computer and dont know how to post the links.Iam glad you got to read the article James is my miracle.Thanks for responding to my post.Your Friend Michelle