PDA

View Full Version : Do I have congenital scoliosis?

pink_candy_swirl
12th June 2007, 11:58 PM
I was diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis. My mum and I thought we had noticed it in my sister too. We were right. My mum asked while my sister was at York hospital seeing her occupational therapist (for something unrelated). The woman said she had it and 'It's not the straightest of spines'. She is due for her 1st appointment at Leeds General Infirmary on July 2nd under Dr Milne (he helped operate on me). Does this mean I have congenital scoliosis? Is this something I should mention when I next see Mr Dunsmuir on June 20th? Here is a picure of her ribs for those interested (she's breathing in by the way)... Also she is 11 and we have noticed it for a while. Does this mean it's juvenile?

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s3/candyswirl69/th_Phonepics449.jpg

nutmeg
13th June 2007, 05:40 AM
No it doesn't mean you have congenital scoliosis. Idiopathic scoliosis often runs in families. Congenital scoliosis is present when you are born. It's caused by one (or maybe more than one) vertebra being the wrong shape, much narrower on one side than the other (often called a hemi-vertebra), so that the vertebrae on either side sit at an angle rather than upright. If you had congenital scoliosis I think it would have been very obvious in your X-rays.
I'm sorry to hear that your younger sister has scoliosis too - however because you and your mum were so observant it has been picked up early, which will help in any treatment she needs

pink_candy_swirl
13th June 2007, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by nutmeg@Jun 13 2007, 03:40 AM
No it doesn't mean you have congenital scoliosis. Idiopathic scoliosis often runs in families. Congenital scoliosis is present when you are born. It's caused by one (or maybe more than one) vertebra being the wrong shape, much narrower on one side than the other (often called a hemi-vertebra), so that the vertebrae on either side sit at an angle rather than upright. If you had congenital scoliosis I think it would have been very obvious in your X-rays.
I'm sorry to hear that your younger sister has scoliosis too - however because you and your mum were so observant it has been picked up early, which will help in any treatment she needs
Thanks that's helped. :-) What's the name for scoliosis that runs in familys? I have been told but my minds gone blank.

Summer Daisy
13th June 2007, 04:01 PM
I don't think it has a particular name, as of yet.

Scoliosis that runs in families is now generally accepted as existing but not always officially. Many surgeons do not believe the (in my opinion incontrovertible) evidence that exists.

Idiopathic scoliosis does appear to run in families. But as "idiopathic" means of unknown cause, saying this is a bit of an oxymoron!

pink_candy_swirl
13th June 2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Summer Daisy@Jun 13 2007, 02:01 PM
I don't think it has a particular name, as of yet.

Scoliosis that runs in families is now generally accepted as existing but not always officially. Many surgeons do not believe the (in my opinion incontrovertible) evidence that exists.

Idiopathic scoliosis does appear to run in families. But as "idiopathic" means of unknown cause, saying this is a bit of an oxymoron!
Ahh, thanks for the help :-) My old consultant and new one both believe in it that if another person in your family has scoliosis you developed it from the other person (the younger got it from the older or you both got it from someone else in your family). They say it rarely 'runs in families' but if two people in the same family have it, it's 'cos your in the same family... something like that anyways lol. I never thought anyone else in my family would end up with it. I was lead to believe it was rather rare, although I was told my sisters and my children (I don't have any yet, I'm completing College and Uni 1st...) are slighlty more likely to develope it. If one more person in my family discovers they have scoliosis we have decided to help with research. It says about it here... http://www.sauk.org.uk/genetic_research.htm

sins
13th June 2007, 05:31 PM
Ther are many members here on sso who can testify that it runs in families.Many have three generations of scoliosis patients.In fact we should run a poll again just to see how prevalent it is.
Sins