PDA

View Full Version : Does physio work?

stana29
8th June 2007, 09:01 PM
Hi,
My daughter was diagnosed with scoliosis at the age of 4 as a result of a removal of a part of her tumor wrapped around her spine in march 2006. Her scoliosis was 20 degrees six month ago and today we got the bad news that her scoliosis progressed to 37 degrees. I was absolutely shocked as I didn't expected this at all. Jessie has been through so much since diagnosed with childhood cancer 18 months ago and apart from her surgery, she went through 6 courses of chemotherapy.

Today she was meassured and in three weeks we will pick up her first Boston brace jacket. We hope the brace will help to stop the progression and in future she will avoid any surgery.

Our orthopeadic surgeon at Great ormond street hospital told us that exercises for scoliosis don't work. Does anybody have a different opinion?

If you want to know more about Jessie's fight against childhood cancer please feel free to explore her website on www.caringbridge.org/visit/jessicamagnus

Could anybody give me any tips on how to get through the summer with a Boston brace (especially on what to do on holiday's).

Thank you and all replies much appreciated,

Stana - proud mother to Jessica (ganglioneuroblastoma-childhood cancer, scoliosis 37 degrees, lordosis, weak stomach muscles)

jennie
9th June 2007, 12:23 AM
Hi! you've already been through so much, and we remembered when our daughter was diagnosed with scoliosis we thought she already had enough to cope with, but it hasnt been tooooo bad really... last summer was hot, but we went out early in the morning, had a siesta and went back to the beach, park etc in the evevning. this summer she will wear her old brace to go in the sea, with a shirt over, to skim board, bodyboard etc. and all will be well!
The temperature at school has also been managed very well and both the juniors and secondary school have done everything they can possibly do to help, allowing her friends/class to be with her rather than her with them, good luck! :spin:

Little Ali
16th June 2007, 08:03 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of the tough time you're having. I just wanted to welcome you to the site and offer my support.