PDA

View Full Version : How Lucy got on today

Nicki
7th June 2007, 07:55 PM
Hi everyone!

GOOD NEWS :monkey: Lucy's curve has remained stable. Phew the relief!!

Lucy had the ISIS scan and when Mr Fairbank looked at it he said it was vertually identical to the one she had done in November. We all wanted to jump up and down and cheer :D

He did say the the rib hump was slightly higher, which was not too much of a surprise as I had noticed it looked 'different' (which was the main reason for me being so worried). But he was not concerned about it, he has said to keep up the good work and come back in 6 months. Yipee!

Love
Nicki x

ps did anyone see the article in todays (7/7/07) Daily Mirror about the little girl who has a brace for scoliosis. The headline read quote ' Only 1 hour a day to play... for the next eight years'

GillyG
7th June 2007, 07:58 PM
Hey, Nicki, that's fantastic news :D :clap: :jump:

(let the emoticons do all the jumping up and down for you!!)

Gilly xx

jennie
7th June 2007, 08:25 PM
hey! Just googled the daily mirror story....gosh.. glad the brace is working!

RugbyLaura
7th June 2007, 08:29 PM
Fantastic news!!!!! Has Lucy grown much since November? When does her new brace come? and what colour is it? (Immy wanted to know).

Laura X

tonibunny
7th June 2007, 08:46 PM
Great news about Lucy's curve, congrats! :D

Re: the Daily Mirror article........oh come on!!!! It's not that bad!!!! I can understand her mum's in shock, but her daughter is hardly going to "miss out on her entire childhood". I wore a Milwaukee and plaster casts from the age of 2 until I was 10 and still had a great childhood. That only came off for one hour a day as well, and the plasters didn't come off at all! But guess what? It's NOT THAT BAD!! :roll:

newgirl
7th June 2007, 09:08 PM
Glad to hear that Lucy is doing well.
That article was really poor I thought. Niamh has had braces and casts since she was 18 months old and there is very little that she cannot do. Yes she is a bit more restricted than her peers, but she rides her bike, runs, skips jumps etc the same as any other child. She wants to do ballet and I have enquired with a few teachers and they see no reason why she could not at least try it once she is 4 :-D
I hate the fact that she has to wear the damn thing but as Toni said It is not THAT bad.

Nicki
7th June 2007, 09:09 PM
Hi Toni

I agree, Lucy loves life - as you know from my previous posts about her.

I have emailed the journalist who wrote the article saying that Lucy wears her brace 23 hours a day and it hasnt stopped her from doing anything!!

Whenever I read any newspaper article about scoliosis it is always so negative, dont get me wrong scoliosis is a big deal and maybe I am on a high because of todays good news but it is not always as bad as you think it is going to be.

I am by no means trivialising it and I would do anything for Lucy to have a straight spine but it is not always doom and gloom as so many people who share their experiences on this site can vouch for.

Laura - they dont always measure Lucy on her visits, but from the results of the ISIS it looks as though her spine has grown by 1 and a half cm. She may well have grown a bit more that that in her legs but the spine itself is 1 1/2 cm longer!

She chose a very delicate design this time, little finger prints (pink of course) that have been made into bunnies!! We should be collecting it in 3-4 weeks time.

We were sitting in the waiting room today (for what seemed like and eternity!) when a man came over and said that he had seen Lucy on this website, he and his daughter wondered whether they would recognise her!! He was seeing Mr Fairbank as well. Apparently he doesnt post on here, just browses. Lucy was bemused!!

Nicki x

kidz taxi
7th June 2007, 09:57 PM
So glad Lucys brace is working :niceone:

RosieRich
7th June 2007, 10:08 PM
Nicki
That's brilliant news. I'm so glad the curve is stable, the brace must be working. :D
Will catch up soon.
Sam

andrea
8th June 2007, 06:39 PM
That's really good news Nicki. I'm glad it's holding and brace is working. Good for her too, for being committed to making it work. We all know it can suck sometimes.

Nicola - Erin has been doing tap and ballet since she just turned 3 and now performs in a show at our local theatre once a year. We've got a dress rehearsal tomorrow so I'll take some pics of her in her cheerleading outfit. As you say though, it goes to show that nothing holds these kids back.

PS I just emailed the Mirror too. It won't do any good, but a positive story from them might be nice!

Amazed Jean
8th June 2007, 09:18 PM
Nicki, That's great news - we love it when curves stay the same. Tell her I am hopping around for her and her new bunnies! :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

Nicki
8th June 2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the good wishes. I love this site!!!

:squeeze: to you all x

scolioscott
9th June 2007, 09:24 AM
Well done Nicki and Lucy - fab news!

H 8)