PDA

View Full Version : Hi Nicki

RugbyLaura
29th May 2007, 11:53 AM
Hi Nicki,

I just noticed that Lucy has an appointment with Jo Mitchell tomorrow and another with Mr Fairbank next Wednesday. I wanted to say I hope they both go well! Out of interest, I assume that Jo Mitchell is your orthotist. Am I right? and what will be done (x-rays, etc) at these appointments?

We're STILL waiting to here from the orthotist at Birmingham. We are in our eighth week now, having been told that an appointment should take about three! I sent an email last Thursday; think I'll phone today......

Laura

RugbyLaura
29th May 2007, 02:55 PM
Hello again,

SPOOKY.... I just had a call from BROH to say that they'd like to cast for Immy's brace this Friday. I am once again thrown into indecision. We have an appointment on 15th June with Spinecor guys in Sheffield. Would it be very naughty to go ahead with both for the time being?

Laura

titch
29th May 2007, 04:48 PM
If you really think you'd feel bad about it, or are fairly sure that you will decide on Spinecor in the end, perhaps you could ring back and say that something's come up, and could you have the first appointment available in the second half of June? Definitely just do whatever it takes to keep your options open though :-)

Nicki
29th May 2007, 10:59 PM
Hi Laura

Thanks for your good wishes!

Jo Mitchell is Lucy's orthotist. Lucy will have a plaster cast taken and they then make the brace from this cast. I am going to try to take some photos of Lucy having it done and then try to post them in my gallery.... but I dont seem to have much luck posting photos so watch this space!!

Next Wednesday Lucy will have an ISIS scan first, and if this shows any changes in her back they will x-ray her. They try to avoid x-raying where ever possible. An ISIS scan is done by light and produces a graph of the contours of Lucy's back. If anyone can explain an ISIS in more detail I would be grateful!!

I will post how we get on next week, I am getting a bit twitchy (as I always do) hoping that things have remained stable.

Nicki

tonibunny
29th May 2007, 11:57 PM
ISIS is an Oxford thing isn't it? I'm afraid that I don't know too much about it. The RNOH trialled it when I was about 13 or 14, and I had a scan done at Bolsover Street then, but I don't think they decided to make general use of it after that. I just stood up and they shone a laser thingy at my back, which produced the image on a computer screen. Easy! :D

GillyG
30th May 2007, 01:28 AM
Just wanted to say 'good luck' to Lucy for her next couple of appointments!

Oh, and to Immy too! I agree with Titch's idea about keeping both options open, it would be good to have a comparison. I'll be thinking of you on the 15th if you do decide to come to Sheffield - that's where I live and Mr Cole did my surgery!

Gilly xx

RugbyLaura
30th May 2007, 11:00 AM
Thank you Gilly. We have decided to go with both appointments for now, so may bump into you in Sheffield!

Laura X

gerbo
30th May 2007, 12:46 PM
isis scan is used in sheffield as well. Basically it works with a combination of markers put on your spine and horizontal lights shining on your back to get an impression of the degree of curvature of curve and assymmetry of back. It is really not much different than if you would put a mark on each spinal process (sticky-out bit of each vertebra) and take a photograph

GillyG
30th May 2007, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by RugbyLaura@May 30 2007, 09:00 AM
We have decided to go with both appointments for now, so may bump into you in Sheffield!

Well, that could be arranged.......!

Nicki
30th May 2007, 10:09 PM
Hi All

Just to let you know that Lucy had a new cast done today which went well.

We met up with RosieRich - Sam and Megan which was great. They were there to see Jo as well. It was really nice for Lucy and Megan to have a chat about backs and braces!! And Secondary school!

Meeting Sam and Megan got me thinking that there are quite a few girls around the same age on this site now who are either wearing a brace or getting one, it might be nice to arrange to all get together sometime in the summer holidays? If anyone fancies it let me know and we could take it from there.

Will let you know how we get on next week with Mr Fairbank.

Nicki x

RugbyLaura
31st May 2007, 10:46 AM
Gilly, we're at the Thornbury hospital at 12.15 for X-rays, followed by appointments with Mr Cole and then Mr Mills. Don't know Sheffield at all and will have husband with us - lovely man but not hugely sociable! If all goes well we will be visiting Sheffield on a regular basis after this and could arrange to meet up at a later date.

Nicki, great idea! We live in Rugby, which is fairly central and accessible, and would be happy to host a gathering. Perhaps early in the summer holidays?

Laura X

GillyG
31st May 2007, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by RugbyLaura@May 31 2007, 08:46 AM
Don't know Sheffield at all and will have husband with us - lovely man but not hugely sociable! If all goes well we will be visiting Sheffield on a regular basis after this and could arrange to meet up at a later date.

Heh, heh, sounds just like my hubby!! If you do go with the Sheffield mob, I would love to meet up sometime, sounds like a great idea!

Gilly xx