PDA

View Full Version : Bracing and movement.

RoughRider504
21st May 2007, 03:13 AM
I am going to be getting my brace made soon and I want to figure out if I can still cycle. So. . while in a brace can you still bend at the waist a small bit? As long as I can bent at the waist a tiny bit to reach my handlebars I will be fine. :spin:

tonibunny
21st May 2007, 10:19 AM
You should be able to lean forward from your hips if not your waist :-) Seeing as your kyphosis is in the thoracic region, I don't think you'll have a problem with this. I have a custom-made lumbar support that has big steel strips in the waist region and I can still lean forward :D

Do make sure that you ask the brace guys to cut enough out from the bottom of the front of the brace so it doesn't cut into your legs when you lean forward.

newgirl
21st May 2007, 10:16 PM
Hi,
my 3 1/2 year old has had braces and is in a plaster cast and she can certainly cycle.
As Toni says it is important that they shape the front of the brace so you can lean forward but it shouldn't be a problem.
Good luck
Nicola

jennie
23rd May 2007, 07:32 PM
Hi! my daughter emily, cycled from chichester to west wittering, with her little brother and sister, which took them an hour, might have been quicker without them... but the point is she spends alot of time cycling and skateboarding, and her brace has helped her not made it worse, she also has perfect posture for playing guitar and drums! :D

equinerider4life
5th September 2007, 12:56 AM
It depending on the brace made in my aticular one i could bend only the slightest barely and even then i couldnt hold it for a long time and the bottom of the brace would cut me....this is also why it hurt to sit after a while. My brace though is very odd it seems very differnt from the other braces people are getting. Heres a picture
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/NataDancenet/pics/1545090272_l.jpg