PDA

View Full Version : New here

smellybellyje
18th May 2007, 08:20 PM
Hello. I'm new here. We found out in February that my 5 year old Daughter has scoliosis. At the x-ray in Feb, she had a 23 degree C curve. Are there others on here who have kids with Scoliosis as young as mine? Are any in braces? We saw a pediatric orthopedist on May 1st and at this point he just wants to monitor her although he says that at her age she is at risk of progression. She will be re-x rayed at the end of August and then see the Dr again Sept 4th to compare the x-rays.

Jen :)

ELLA22
18th May 2007, 08:58 PM
Hi
Sorry to hear about your daughter. It's all a bit daunting isn't it! but this site is a godsend for advice and support. My daughter is 3.5 years old and was diagnosed in Jan 2006. She has problems in the cervical spine mainly and we are 'watching' at the minute too. Her curve is at about 30 degrees at the minute. We go back for more x-rays and to see the doctor at the end of October. Her consultant is aiming to put off surgery until she is 5 if he can.
We have not got the option of a brace as she has congenital scoliosis so was born with abnormal vertebrae. Where abouts are you? We are being seen at QMC in Nottingham who are very good.
Better go and make tea now!
Ella x

RugbyLaura
18th May 2007, 09:02 PM
Hi Jen,

And :welcome: . I'm fairly new here too. My daughter is now 9 but her scoliosis was first spotted by her gymnastics coach when she was 7. She may have had it for some time before that. Immy's curve is now 31 degrees and we are about to get her first brace. She is very excited and feels rather special. She is a very active girl and loves dance, gymnastics, athletics and all-sorts (and she's pretty good at them too). So Scoliosis has not held her back (so far) and she gets no pain. I still find this whole thing quite scary but forums are a great help - you're not alone!

Laura

smellybellyje
18th May 2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks. Yes, it can be scary. Thanks for your reply. I'm hoping that we can avoid surgery.... but I guess we will have to see what the future holds. To the best of my knowledge Emily was not born with the scoli. Im sure they would have picked it up if she had been.

I am actually located in Pennsylvania, USA. :) Found this group and wanted some support and to talk to others with kids with Scoliosis.

Jen :)

tonibunny
18th May 2007, 09:32 PM
Hi there, welcome to SSO :welcome2:

I had idiopathic scoliosis as a child - I was diagnosed as a baby, but my scoliosis was definitely idiopathic rather than congenital, which is caused by malformed vertebrae. I wore plaster bodycasts and braces up until I was 10, when I had surgery (I had a big curve from the start though, so surgery was always on the cards for me).

Please try not to worry too much, there are quite a few parents of little children with scoliosis here and we'll all try to help you as much as we can :-)

Toni xx

andrea
20th May 2007, 05:30 PM
Hi Jen

Welcome to SSo. My daughter Erin was diagnosed at 20 months with idiopathic scoliosis and is currently in a cast to delay surgery as long as possible. Hopefully your daughter's curve won't progress, but if it does, there's heaps of advice here from people who have gone through it themselves, or whose children have scoliosis. Erin was in a brace for a summer, but is now back in a cast.

Yes, it is daunting, but the more people you speak to and the more you know about it, the less daunting it becomes.

Andreax

Nicki
20th May 2007, 09:50 PM
Hi Jen

My daughter was 6 and a half when she was diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis. She was moninitored for 2 years, before the curve progressed. She has been in a brace for almost 2 years now (she will be 11 next month). The brace has held her curve stable at 43 degrees during those 2 years. We are due back for her 6 month check up in June and hopefully the curve will still be stable.

This is a great site, informative and very friendly.

Nicki :D

newgirl
21st May 2007, 10:05 PM
Hi Jen and welcome.
Sorry to hear about your daughter but it is good that she has been diagnsosed and is getting treatment.
My daughter is 3 1/2 and was diagnosed with infantile ideopathic scoliosis at 7 months. Her curve was approx 37* She has been treated with both plaster casts and bracing since she was 18 months. For us bracing did not work but that was because she was too small for a brace and there is a good liklihood that she will be braced again probably after she is 5 all going well.
Keep in touch and let us know how things are going
Nicola

mshell
28th May 2007, 01:24 PM
Hi

My daughter was diagnosed at seven, she went to the doctors as i thought she had a chest infection and came out with a referral to hospital for scoliosis, after her first appointment we were sent to oxford, she had mri scans and xrays, it was found that she had s bend curves that were 37degrees and so began bracing, i wasnt sure and felt terrible not being able to explain what it would be like for her, i researched the internet saw some varied bracing but we were fortunate the orthotics department are great, they used plaster of paris quickly around her get her shape, it was a bit messy and she didnt like that bit too much, it doesnt bother her now. They had lots of patterns for the brace which she could choose, the first had pink and purple butterflies, the second one has groovy chick kids, i think we are heading for her third one next month. Shes a great girl who has learnt alot very quickly. Most of her friends have been excellent, only now she is finding it harder to cope with, especially with the heat, i found getting lots of ice lollies in the freezer helps and lots of incentives too. Generally though we find her remarkable and i am exceptionally proud of her, her brace has made her curvuture to 24 and 27 degrees which is fantastic but we are aware it may go the wrong way when she goes through adolescents which i hope it doesnt she has put so much effort into being good. the thought of surgery does worry us but we take each day as it comes and live as much as possible and be thankful for what we have. If your child would like to speak to my daughter im sure she would love to help, she is a very positive and happy child who loves other children.

Little Ali
28th May 2007, 05:01 PM
Just popped in to say hi and :welcome:

stana29
16th June 2007, 04:03 PM
Hi there,

My daughter Jessica is 5 and her scoliosis progressed from 20 degrees to 37 degrees in six months. She developed scoliosis as a result of a surgery to remove her tumor wrapped around her spine. She will now have to wear a Boston brace jacket in two weeks time and we don't look forward to this at all. I hope this will stop from the spine progressing.

Good luck to you,

Stana

michelle wessollek
16th June 2007, 04:23 PM
Hi my son was born with congintal scoli.At the time his curv was 55.when he was about one and a half it progressed to 63 he could not be braced because of hemmi verta bra. We live in USA we live in Wyoming.If you ever have any ? feel free to ask I will try to answer.We go To Saltlake childrens and see Dr Smith.

Rachie
18th June 2007, 11:36 AM
:welcome2:

My daughter was diagnosed with a 61 degree curve at the age of 4. It is idiopathic and she was just watched. Now she is 7 and has a 76 degree curve which will be corrected by growth rod surgery in the next couple of months.

If you are advised to have her braced I would have no hesitation. My daughter's curve was always going to require surgery in the end, but if yours can be halted now surgery could be avoided.

Even if she makes a fuss you have to take a long term view. She WILL thank you when she is older.

All the best,

Rachie x