PDA

View Full Version : scheuermann's disease and bladder control.

RoughRider504
18th May 2007, 07:51 PM
I recently was diagnosed with Scheuermann's with a curve of 105, and my doctor asked me if I had any problems controlling my bladder while asleep. I told him no, but until I changed my habits about a year ago I did. I now do not drink for hours before going to sleep and have hardly any problems right now, but why would my Scheuermann's make me lose control of my bladder?

titch
18th May 2007, 10:16 PM
I guess that depending on where your curve is, and how exactly it's shaped, he could be thinking that you've got impingement of the nerves that control the bladder as this can be a problem sometimes with unusual curves.

As a consequence of the way my original surgery was done (it was done by a general orthopaedic surgeon rather than a proper spine surgeon, unfortunately), I ended up with a kyphosis at the back of my waist. The pressure of this caused the disc below to collapse, and I developed a forward-leaning posture, as well as then keeling off to the side. The combination of these things (I'm not sure of any one thing that caused it) gave me several problems - depending on which type of back pain had the upper hand I could a different one. It varied from not being able to go, to not knowing whether I needed to or not, to being in and out of the loo all day because I could only pass a little and still felt just as urgent after as I did before. Thankfully, all of these problems resolved with the surgery which pulled me back upright from having roughly a 45 lean forward prior to surgery.

abbysmith1983
12th July 2007, 11:42 AM
I was only recently (Apr) diagnosed with Scheurmann's, as I was previously told that it was scoliosis.

When I first starting getting pain in my back last year, I had trouble controlling my bladder. Not bad enough to have any accidents, but it was like I wasn't getting proper warning that I needed to go, and was having to rush to the toilet. When I was put on medication, this eased off significantly, though sometimes when I am in particularly bad pain it flares up again.