PDA

View Full Version : Are Braces Driving You NUTS?

IHeartUxo
15th May 2007, 11:34 PM
Hey! I just went to my scoliosis dr. yesterday.

I'm pretty upset because last time, he told me that I could be out of my brace for school, and now he's telling me I have to wait another 6 months! I hate my brace!

No one else in my class has it, and by wearing it another 6 months means I'd have to go into high school with it!

I really don't want to do this and was in tears all yesterday, but none of my friends really care. They don't know what It's like!

THe guys in my class tease me and I'm sick of it!

I wear a sweater everyday because my school has a dress code and it's starting to get hot, but I don't want everone to have to see how funny-looking I look without it!

So, yeah, that's basically what's going on with me...anyone else want to rant now?

tonibunny
16th May 2007, 12:01 AM
Hi there, welcome to SSO! :welcome2:

I'm really sorry to hear that you're having such a rough time with your brace! I know it sucks :-( Hopefully the next six months will go by really fast and then you'll be able to put it all behind you :squeeze:

If you're about to start High School I guess you're about 13, am I right? Sorry if I'm wrong - I'm from the UK so we don't have the same school system as you do.

Please rant all you like! That's what we're here for :D

Toni xxx

IHeartUxo
16th May 2007, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by tonibunny@May 15 2007, 11:01 PM
Hi there, welcome to SSO! :welcome2:

I'm really sorry to hear that you're having such a rough time with your brace! I know it sucks :-( Hopefully the next six months will go by really fast and then you'll be able to put it all behind you :squeeze:

If you're about to start High School I guess you're about 13, am I right? Sorry if I'm wrong - I'm from the UK so we don't have the same school system as you do.

Please rant all you like! That's what we're here for :D

Toni xxx
Thanks! Wow, it looks like you've been here for a while...

Have you had a brace before? I know alot of people on here have had surgery...I guess I'm lucky!

Actually, I'm 14 years old and 7 months (hehe, my doctor had that on his chart thingie he gave me.)

I've looked for something like this for a while now...

Thank God I found it! (Thanks, Joy!)

IHeartUxo
16th May 2007, 12:34 AM
Haha, I just read your siggy!

Answered my questions, should have read it first!

Sorry, I'm new to this message board. I'm a member of another one, but it doesn't give you the option of avatars and siggys, etc.

You've had alot of stuff done! I'm glad it's okay now!

tonibunny
16th May 2007, 12:59 AM
:joke: No probs! I'm glad you've found us. Do you have a name you'd like to be known by here? (you don't have to give your real name if you'd rather not - it's entirely up to you!) :-)

I like your avatar! :D

Toni xx

IHeartUxo
16th May 2007, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by tonibunny@May 15 2007, 11:59 PM
:joke: No probs! I'm glad you've found us. Do you have a name you'd like to be known by here? (you don't have to give your real name if you'd rather not - it's entirely up to you!) :-)

I like your avatar! :D

Toni xx
Me too! I wish I'd found this earlier!

Well, I usually don't give my name out online, no offense!

Thanks! I've learned I have to do alot of that with scoliosis.

I like yours, too!

Amazed Jean
16th May 2007, 04:45 AM
Hello. just wanted to welcome you to SSO. I can only wish that I had been offered a brace at your age. I know I sound parental but there are worse things in life than your brace - You could have my oxygen unit to stay hooked up to - it's a real pain in the butt, some people with advanced scoliosis and never had the chance for a brace have their spines collapse and they end up in a wheel chair - I am grateful everyday that I can walk and talk no matter how wonky I look! Hang in there!

Marti
16th May 2007, 05:50 AM
Hey, and welcome!

I'm 18, and haven't worn a brace in over three years, but I definitely still remember it!

I totally understand how you feel. It probably sounds silly, but I think in many ways wearing your brace in high school won't be as bad as in middle school. Middle school isn't really much fun for anyone, and its worse if there's anything that makes you at all different. I can't imagine anyone I know teasing someone for wearing a brace, but when I look back to middle school, I bet some of the people who've turned out not to be total jerks were jerks then.

It's tough. But it is temporary! And avoiding surgery is definitely a good thing. If it becomes necessary, it's not the end of the world, but it's not something you want to do if you don't need to.

We're here to listen to any rants you have!

Joy
16th May 2007, 09:26 AM
ah, here you are! I'm glad you found us :D

You're right, Toni has been around forever, shes awesome and has really helped me through some hard times!

I really hope things are better for you in high school.

Summer Daisy
16th May 2007, 02:57 PM
And the best thing ever is when you get to stop wearing that brace! I had mine for 9 months, and it was a pain -- although only a few idiotic boys ever made a negative comment about it.

But yes. Once you don't have to wear it any more ... whole new wardrobe is in order :D Great excuse for shopping!!

Plus it'll hopefully stop you having to have surgery, which is a plus. :)

Buuuut don't think I'm trying to belittle it, I know how much of a pain it is :S But trust me, 6 months will go by so quick. People will get used to your brace. And when it comes off it'll be a great boost to the ego.

Little Ali
16th May 2007, 06:35 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your brace. I remember having to wear mine. I hated it, although I wasn't very co-operative and took it off as soon as I got out of school :idiot: Hopefully if you can persevere with it for the next 6 months (I know it feels like forever at the moment) you can avoid any further treatment.

I'm sorry the boys at your school tease you. It's just ignorance amd it's their problem, not yours!

You sound like a great person and I hope you like it here. Rant away any time you like (I do!!) :squeeze:

P.S Toni rocks!! :rox:

IHeartUxo
16th May 2007, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Amazed Jean@May 16 2007, 03:45 AM
Hello. just wanted to welcome you to SSO. I can only wish that I had been offered a brace at your age. I know I sound parental but there are worse things in life than your brace - You could have my oxygen unit to stay hooked up to - it's a real pain in the butt, some people with advanced scoliosis and never had the chance for a brace have their spines collapse and they end up in a wheel chair - I am grateful everyday that I can walk and talk no matter how wonky I look! Hang in there!
Wow...

That really puts things into perspective for me. I guess I am really lucky!

Thanks!

IHeartUxo
16th May 2007, 11:05 PM
Wow, I've been reading all of you guys' siggies.

I now see that I have no right to complain. There are tons of things worse than being in a brace for 6 more months!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

tonibunny
17th May 2007, 01:20 AM
You still have a right to get annoyed and rant! Most kids don't have to deal with braces, and even though there are people who have worse cases of scoliosis, it doesn't mean that you should keep quiet if you're feeling rubbish about your own case :squeeze:

MoparMan87
19th May 2007, 06:22 AM
SSO Group Hug!

IHeartUxo
20th May 2007, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by MoparMan87@May 19 2007, 05:22 AM
SSO Group Hug!
Woot!

KogepanGirl
31st May 2007, 09:01 PM
awww sorry to hear about your brace hun :(

I have one too I know how it feels!

Ive had 2 operations and im in a brace (which not only covers my stomach but also covers my boobs >:()

Hang in there thoooo, itl be off before ya know it!

equinerider4life
5th September 2007, 12:03 AM
Just hold in there i have had the exact same problem! I was told well next visit youll probably get it off now another 3 months now 2 now 5 it was always changing. I had mine in 8th grade up to the begining of 9th. I afraid though in 8th grade i was serverly pressed y it as i had to quit ballet and i couldnt do much excersise other then pe in school which was embarssing cause i had to take the brace off in school and put it back on. The only help to me was it was a small school {im now doing distant learning}. I was still poked in the back but i just decided to take on things that i liked to do such as pottery. DOing the pottery helped me take my mind off the brace and the world.
Just hold in there before you know it, it will be off! dont go down the road i almost went down.....death. Thanks to my mind i stopped and then went into pottery which helped me a lot. Find something solo you can do on your own. It does really help once a day once a week it can make a difference. Also cry when you need to i cried almost everynight but my mom was there for me and i just let it out after i took a shower put the brace on and went to bed i would feel better. You'll actually become stronger once this is all over, well i did.
JUST HANG IN IT WILL BE GONE, soon enough

jennie
19th September 2007, 08:24 AM
tis Emily, not Jennie

Braces are evil!!!!!!!! In a good way though :D
I've been wearing a brace for abot 3 years and it hasn't really got any less anoying but at least some of my friends no about it and except it. High schools not as bad as the school before (wont call it by a name because it probably differetn to what it is in America/Canada) Because there are more people so less people will notice you and there might be someone else in the school wth scoliosis :)

i think i posted this a bit late but oh well...