PDA

View Full Version : Saying Hello and Seeking Help. Please read.

Seeking_help
12th May 2007, 01:36 AM
Hello All,

A quick introduction of myself. I suffer from Kyphosis and I am seeking help. I am 24 years old and am located in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

I've suffered from this problem for many years and I know I should have done something sooner but I didn't due to:

a) The embarrassment - I wanted to hide the problem and not confront it
b) Lack of diagnosis - My General Practitioner was inept to say the least and didn't correctly identify the problem.

Over the years, the problem has progressed and I've tried everything from chiropractic care to exercise and I believe the only solution is a surgical procedure. At this point there is no physical pain and I guess this would be considered a cosmetic surgery (makes me laugh - as if I'm going into get a facelift).

I am coming here to seek advice as to where to go? I will be seeing an orthopedic surgeon in my city; however, given the complexity of the procedure I may have to venture down to the US.

Can anyone PLEASE provide me referrals as to experienced surgeons in this field? Perhaps from personal experiences. Whether this is in Canada or the US (would prefer west coast). I don't know where to start looking and I want to start as soon as possible because this problem is starting to take over my life. It's all I think about. I find myself starting decrease socializing for the fear of being "found out". I donít' care how much this costs; I need to do this and finally start my life.

I apologize for the length of this post - but it's been a while since Iíve been able to discuss this openly.

Thank You and I am patiently waiting for your responses,

M

Amazed Jean
12th May 2007, 04:32 AM
Hell M welcome to SSO. When have a few Canadians! Hopefully they will pop on in the next few days and head you in the correct direction for your location. There is also a forum the lists surgeons etc. and they are listed by locations. I hope someone clsoer to you can help you out. I have been to Twin City Spine Center in Minneapolis and was really impressed with Jon Lonstein there.

sins
12th May 2007, 04:51 PM
Hi and welcome,
I believe you have Dr Marcel Dvorak in Vancouver who has done a scoliosis surgery for one of our past members.He seems to vast experience and has carried out some very challenging surgeries.Hopefully your GP will have more information but it might be possible that you will not have to travel at all.
Sins

Seeking_help
12th May 2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Amazed Jean@May 12 2007, 03:32 AM
Hell M welcome to SSO. When have a few Canadians! Hopefully they will pop on in the next few days and head you in the correct direction for your location. There is also a forum the lists surgeons etc. and they are listed by locations. I hope someone clsoer to you can help you out. I have been to Twin City Spine Center in Minneapolis and was really impressed with Jon Lonstein there.
Thank you for your response. Could you please point me in the direction of that forum which lists doctors by location?

All of a sudden since I've found this forum....I've been filled with a funny feeling...I think its hope...

M

Seeking_help
12th May 2007, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by sins@May 12 2007, 03:51 PM
Hi and welcome,
I believe you have Dr Marcel Dvorak in Vancouver who has done a scoliosis surgery for one of our past members.He seems to vast experience and has carried out some very challenging surgeries.Hopefully your GP will have more information but it might be possible that you will not have to travel at all.
Sins
THANK YOU! I will most definately follow up on this lead!

For everyone, I would much prefer a Canadian surgeon (medicare issues); however, Any references to the US are great too. I suppose Washington State, Oregon and California would be the best due to proximity!

sins
12th May 2007, 05:12 PM
yes. there's the Scoliosis research society website.
http://www.srs.org/locator/
They have a list of members who deal with scoliosis. Good luck.
Sins

titch
12th May 2007, 07:01 PM
In terms of California, there are some great docs at UCSF - Drs Hu, Berven and Deviren :-)

Seeking_help
13th May 2007, 09:22 PM
Anyone else? :???:

Abbi
14th May 2007, 10:42 AM
Dr. J. Mahood
Edmonton Alberta Canada

Douglas M Hedden, MD, FRCSC
Stollery Children's Hospital
(780) 407-6870
8440 - 112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta
T6G 2B7
http://www.capitalhealth.ca/HospitalsandHe...tal/default.htm

There is more surgeons mentioned in the US, Canada and Australia thread at the top of the general room! :-)