PDA

View Full Version : Sickness

andrea
10th May 2007, 01:37 PM
Hello all

I just wanted to ask your opinion on something. Erin had her cast changed last Wednesday, and the tummy hole on this one is a lot smaller. It's about 10cm across. All Wednesday night she was up vomiting, and again on Thursday night, yet was fine during the day (bouncing off walls as I kept her home from school). I thought it might be a reaction to the GA, but she's never had one before. She was sick again last night after having a big dinner at the childminder's (she was starving after being at school all day and stuffed herself).

Do you think this is anything to do with the smaller tummy hole, or do you think she's just got a bug. I'm tempted to call Lily at Stanmore and see what she thinks, but obviously don't want to make the hole bigger if it's just a bug.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading about a rather unpleasant topic.
Andrea
x

tonibunny
10th May 2007, 01:43 PM
Oh poor Erin :( 10cm certainly seems very small for a tummy hole, but I'm not sure that it would cause her to vomit - is the cast very very tight across her tummy? As a baby I had Minerva casts that came up around my ears and didn't have a tummy hole at all, and TLSOs don't have them either, so I wouldn't imagine that this would be a problem.

I think it's a good idea to call Stanmore for advice :)

Toni xx

Sealy
10th May 2007, 01:57 PM
Andrea,

I recently got an e-mail from a dad whose child was continuously throwing up after a cast was applied, the little boy's tummy turned purple and they had to remove the cast immediately. I'm hoping this is not the case with Erin and perhaps just widening the tummy area will do the trick.

gerbo
10th May 2007, 02:16 PM
wouldn't worry, she was fine on thursday with cast on, so cast can hardly be the issue. More likely to be GA or stomachbug. Further episode night after most likely because she eat too much on still sensitive stomach. Most likely things are settled by now

gerbo

sins
10th May 2007, 03:46 PM
Hope she's ok Andrea,
Chances are she may have picked up a tummy bug either at nursery or in stanmore.There are lots of viruses doing the rounds at the moment. My living room floor was covered in towels for Liam and newspapers for the puppy. :vomit:
If it hasn't resolved in 48 hours check with stanmore then.

Amazed Jean
10th May 2007, 06:25 PM
Eeww, sorry Andrea. It can't be pleasant for either of you. I would give it 24 hours then call the clinic about the cast. Good Luck!

GillyG
10th May 2007, 11:19 PM
Poor little mite! I hope she's feeling better soon and that it doesn't turn out to be any complication with the cast.

:squeeze: :squeeze: :squeeze:

BeckyH
11th May 2007, 02:27 PM
gerbo's theory makes sense to me: if it were a problem with the cast, surely the vomiting would've been consistent and not overnight? sounds more likely that it's a bug, poor erin :(

andrea
12th May 2007, 08:39 AM
Thank you all for your replies. At the moment she seems to be fine, although I've not relaxed totally yet. Thanks again.

gerbo
12th May 2007, 10:35 AM
that looks good then, doesn't it? Technically cannot think of any reason why even a tight cast would make you vomit. If it really would be far too tight it would cause considerable pain of pressure before any vomiting. Sure you can relax!

newgirl
12th May 2007, 11:11 PM
Hi Andrea,
Glad to hear Erin is feeling a little better. It is very unlikely that the cast would cause her to get sick. Niamh never had a tummy hole in any of her casts until this last one and she never suffered any ill effects except not having a huge appetite, but she would eat little and often. It is very strange to see her with a belly for the first time, now that she has a tummy hole and her appetite seems to be improved. Downside of this is that it looks like she will only get 9 weeks out of this cast as it seems very tight to me at the moment so we are booked in for review on Thursday with possibility of replacing cast if they think it is too tight.
Hope things are going well with you
N

Sealy
13th May 2007, 12:50 AM
Hmmm... that's interesting because I got the e-mail from that gentleman about two weeks ago and it did seem odd that his son's belly turned purple from the cast and was vomiting repeatedly :???: Anyway, I'm glad to hear Erin is doing well now. :niceone:

Nicola,

Niamh is in a cast now???? :D

andrea
13th May 2007, 11:23 AM
Hi Nicola

I did know of someone on a support group whose child was vomiting and they had to remove the cast, which is why I went down that route. I've spoken with the teacher and am going to send in snacks to school that she can have during the day, so she isn't relying on 3 meals to get her through the day, as I don't think this is providng her with enough food. She's skinny enough as it is!!

The last 2 casts she's been in have both been very tight, but it's off the shoulders so it's a bit of a compromise. The tightness doesn't seem to make much difference though :cry:

Thanks for all your replies.
Andrea
xx

newgirl
13th May 2007, 06:50 PM
Andrea, Little and often is definitely the trick with a tight cast. Niamh coped much better with about 6 small meals during the day. See how you get on for a day or two, but if there is no improvement get it checked out.

Originally posted by Sealy@May 12 2007, 10:50 PM

Nicola,

Niamh is in a cast now???? :D

Yep Sealy had to change consultant and hospital to get my way but we got there and are in a waterproof cast no less

:niceone: