PDA

View Full Version : first time under general anaesthetic

Rachie
10th May 2007, 10:36 AM
I'm feeling a bit apprehensive as Maddy needs to have an MRI soon and it will be under general anaesthetic which she hasn't had before. I'm surprised she can be in and out in one day, but apparently anaesthetics have changed alot since i had one 15 years ago and was passing out all over the place afterwards!

Just want someone to tell me it's no big deal!

Rachie :woe:

sins
10th May 2007, 10:57 AM
Hi rachie,
I'm sure she'll be absolutely fine! I would feel the same if it were my child who was having a general anaesthetic, it's so hard to expose them even to the smallest of risk.I expect it's just the stress and worry which makes it seem worse.
Just don't let her detect any sign of nreves from you and I'm sure she'll be fine- and so will you.
Sins

tonibunny
10th May 2007, 11:07 AM
Hi Rachie,

Please don't worry! You're right, anaesthetics are brilliant these days. When I have my steroid injections, my pain doctor (who is an anaesthetist) gives me a general anaesthetic for five minutes just to knock me out because they're so painful to have done. Then I wake up straightaway and after half an hour's rest I am able to get up and go home :-)

I've had lots of anaesthetics in my time, both as a child and as an adult, with no adverse effects. I'm sure Maddy will be fine, it'll be a lot nicer for her to have a sleep than to lie in the MRI scanner listening to all the clanking noises it makes :squeeze:

andrea
10th May 2007, 11:48 AM
Hi Rachie

It really is no big deal. Erin has had about 15 of them now, and while i still remember the first one and how nervous I was, now it all seems so normal. Erin even gets to push the white stuff in herself now (although Maddy may well have a mask - they smell like strawberries or something these days). I usually expect her to wake up groggy and cranky, and usually starving hungry. Have some water on standby when she comes round and once she's had that and kept it down, she can have food. They will usually check she is passing water and keeping food down before she can go home. GAs sometimes make some children (and adults) vomit.

Please don't worry, it will all be fine.
Andrea
x

Little Ali
10th May 2007, 12:43 PM
I thought it was just me who woke up starving hungry! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

I'm sure Maddy will be fine. Anaesthetists are great these days!

Amazed Jean
10th May 2007, 06:36 PM
It's your child - perfectly normal to worry. Anesthesia has come leaps and bounds. They can put you asleep in seconds and even better they can wake you up quickly and with fewer side effects. I wake up bitchy and crabby - exactly like I wake up everyday!

LynChris
10th May 2007, 07:41 PM
I understand how you feel.
My younger son had to have surgery on a broken wrist just last month and I was a nervous wreck. But I needn't have worried. They let me go through with him until he was asleep. The doctors were great, jokingand chatting to him so he felt relaxed. He woke up very quickly and said he felt ok, a little tired and only a little wobbly on his legs for a short time. And was sitting up eating toast by the time we got through to see him.!

I am sure everything will be fine .
Will be thinking of you :)

Lyn

GillyG
10th May 2007, 11:29 PM
My eldest son (now 16!) had a GA when he was 18 months old and I felt physically sick until he came round again :woe: He was fine - it was me that was the wreck, so you're certainly not on your own! The funniest bit was when we were waiting for a Doctor to give him the 'all clear' to go home and a nurse came up to us and asked what he was going to have done - he was pretty active again by that time and she didn't realise he was post-op :glee:

Good luck - everything will be fine. :squeeze:

Gilly xx