PDA

View Full Version : pre op appointment

snowy24040
7th May 2007, 11:03 PM
HI EVERYONE
COURTNEY HAS GOT HER PRE OP APPOINTMENT ON THE 29TH OF THIS MONTH A WEEK BEFORE SURGERY .I FEEL LIKE A BIT OF A BAD MOTHER CAUSE I DONT NO AS MUCH ABOUT HER CURVE AS YOU ALL SEEM TO .DO YOU ASK THE DOCTORS EVERYTHING OR AM I ALLOWED A COPY OF HER NOTES TO FIND OUT EXACTLY WHAT DEGREE OF CURVE ETC.I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL IF SOMEONE COULD DO ME A LIST OF EVERYTHING I SHOULD NO SO WHEN WE GO UP IM ARMED AND READY.

THANK YOU :spin:
SHARON & COURTNEY

ELLA22
8th May 2007, 08:30 AM
Hi
I got a form from my consultants junior and she filled a card in to say that I was allowed to get Cerys' x-rays, Mri and Ct scan copies and it also said you could request reports. They have 40 days at our hospital to get them back to you. They can charge you as well. I'm just waiting to see if I need to pay anything. As Cerys has other medical problems it will be helpful to have them in her file to show her other doctors.
As for the curve, I just asked the consultant what the measurement was. I was questioned about why I wanted to know! but they did measure for me.

As for the op, I'd seperate all of the questions into pre-op, the op and post op and take the questons with you and write down the answers or take a little dictaphone in to record the appt then you're not scribbling away!!

I'm sure that somebody who has had the op will have a list of questions for you to ask!
Good luck with everything. I bet you're a nervous wreck at the minute so I'm sending you a big hug. :squeeze:
Love Ella

Joy
8th May 2007, 11:38 AM
I would make a list of all the questions you want to ask. My pre-op was the day before surgery so I was pretty nervous and ended up forgetting everything I wanted to know. You might want to ask question about how you can get refills on painkiller prescriptions when you take Courtney home and other questions about what you'll need to do while she's recovering.

Good luck!!

andrea
8th May 2007, 01:55 PM
Hi Sharon

I haven't got time now as I'm at work, but i'll have a think about all the things i would want to know, and try and write them down tonight. I'm sure some others will be on soon to share their experiences.

Andrea

andrea
8th May 2007, 10:15 PM
Ok, I'm back. I have to admit i'm not sure where to start on this one and because no one else has had this particularly op on the forum, i haven't had to think of questions before. My main concern would be the op and post-op care. I'm not sure what you'd ask pre-op (anyone?).

So, I would want to know:

- how long will the op last?
- what correction can you hope to get?
- what exactly will the op entail (ie one rod, two rods, where will they be secured etc)
- what will be the extent of her pain afterwards?
- will she be sedated, or what will her pain management schedule be after the op?
- how long will she be in HDU (if she is, I don't know) and when will she be transferred to a ward?
- how long do you expect her to be in hospital?
- when will she be up and about (walking, going to the toilet)?
- are there any possible complications? If so, what are they?
- how do we care for the wound (you will be shown this, I am sure)
- what will her recovery schedule expect to look like?

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. Most of the questions are an "expectation" rather than how things "will" be as each child is different and will react differently to things.

I'll see if I can find anything else out.