PDA

View Full Version : Went to the Osteopath.

Little Ali
1st May 2007, 06:47 PM
Hi there,

I said I'd post and let you know how I got on with the osteopath. I only went to the physio last Thursday but was in lots of pain with the good old cervicogenic headaches again by Sunday!! :nut: To be fair, my physio did tell me to go easy on the weights as it could aggrevate it and I kinda didn't but...anyway... :ignore:

So, I decided I'd make an appointment with this osteopath as they seemed to know what I was talking about and were pretty sure they could help me :niceone:
I was a bit dubious as I usually don't have much confidence in complimentary medicine, but I thought I'd better not knock it til I'd tried it.

I turned up and was a bit freaked out cos it looked a bit er...retro.... but it was cool. Saw a nice guy called Tim who felt my neck and said 'No wonder you're getting headaches!' and asked me if I knew whether I had any neck deformity (I don't think so) held my head and neck in different places. At one point he had hold of my ears and came out with 'I bet it's really difficult to take someone who has hold of you by the ears seriously.' :rofl: It felt really good though. Like lots of pressure was being released from my neck and head. He also explained how/why it works, which gave me more faith in him.

Then came the bit at the end when he said 'Right, I've relased lots of pressure. I'm going to make you crack. Don't be alarmed, it won't hurt!' He was right, it didn't, although it sounded like i should've done! :D Now it feels amazing! Better than it has in years! He said that he reckons if I go back once more next week, it should pretty much help the problem long term, although I might need to go back for the occasional appointment. Pretty cool if it's true. :rox:

I've decided, I'm gonna go back to my usual physio to get him to help me with excercises and back related stuff. I feel quite loyal to him, seen as he was the one that explained to me why I was getting the headaches in the first place. I can kinda mix and match, depending on what I need.

So...there you go. Osteopathy comes recommended by me! :jump: :bounce: :wave:

Abbi
1st May 2007, 07:00 PM
Hi Ali! Glad it went well for you....I hope it works out in the long term! :squeeze:

tonibunny
1st May 2007, 10:24 PM
Wow! I'm really pleased for you that this has helped so much :-)

As you know, I get similar trapezius muscle problems to you....

Where is your guy based? I wouldn't want to go to someone without a personal recommendation....I used to see an osteopath a few years ago and they didn't really do anything that gave me lasting relief.

GillyG
1st May 2007, 10:49 PM
Hey, Ali, that's brilliant news :D I think you're very brave, I'm too scared to go anywhere like that in case they do more harm than good, unless it's by personal recommendation like Toni said. But then again, I am a bit of a wimp....hmmm, I've been thinking of having one of those SSO names - how about 'SSO Wimp' ???

tonibunny
1st May 2007, 10:56 PM
Nononono you're far from a wimp Gilly!!! Speaking as a member of staff, I wouldn't let you call yourself that :P

GillyG
1st May 2007, 11:09 PM
Aww, thanks for that, Toni :D

I was thinking of 'SSO Snoopy' because of my avatar (and the fact that I commonly wear Snoopy socks!) but then it just sounds like I'm a nosey devil, so I'm not so sure now :P

Ali, I'm so sorry, I've just realised I'm rambling on your 'osteopath' thread.

:oops: :ignore: :oops:

Little Ali
2nd May 2007, 08:30 PM
Hi guys,

Here's the link for the place I went. It's based in Newbury town centre. Bit of a long way to come for a 20 minute appointment but I know what pain can drive you to!!!

http://www.fairbourneclinic.co.uk/therapie..._West_Berks.htm (http://www.fairbourneclinic.co.uk/therapies/osteopathy_and_cranial_osteopathy_Newbury_West_Ber ks.htm)

I did think seriously about it before I went cos I'm aware that you could do very serious damage messing around with necks. I asked the advice of my physio though and made sure the guy I was going to see was properly qualified. Also, Newbury is a very small town and believe me, word would've spread if there'd been any kind of 'mishap' there.

I've booked another appointment with him next Wednesday so I shall let you know how I get on. I'm then going to see my usual physio on the Thursday, I reckon he'll be dead impressed and I'm not sure he'll need to do anything/much on my neck but I'm gonna ask him about back muscle strengthening excercises.

Toni...I havane't been getting half as much trouble with my Trapz since I had the surgery, but I'm sure it's something they could help with.

:squeeze: