PDA

View Full Version : Physio pheedback!!

GillyG
26th April 2007, 04:30 PM
Hey all :wave:

Just a quicky to let you know how I went on at my first physio appointment today.

Basically he wants to work on keeping my few remaining mobile segments healthy, so my first exercises are very gentle, but I have to do them 200 times each, night and morning!! :-o :-o :-o

Also, he's loaned me a TENS machine to experiment with (sounds a bit risky to me
:glee: ) Has anyone else had any experience with these, good or bad?

Oh, and Toni, my chap's called Pete and he knows Mr Cole really well and deals specifically with spinal problems, so I think I'm in good hands. :D

Gilly xx

tonibunny
26th April 2007, 06:32 PM
Is this at the Hallamshire hospital? They lent me a TENS machine too :-) Be careful not to put the pads over any bony areas or it'll hurt!

I've had varying success with TENS and actually own a machine myself. My problem was that because my pain is widespread, it didn't help much as I could only treat a couple of muscles at a time. I think it can work very well if you have more localised pain.

My current hospital lent me a TSE machine (a lot stronger than TENS) and that was more effective but it was very fiddly getting the pads in exactly the right spot.

Little Ali
26th April 2007, 07:13 PM
Hi there.

Glad to hear it went well. The guy sounds very helpful and knowledgable. I hope the excercises help and don't wear you out too much!
:squeeze:

GillyG
27th April 2007, 03:32 PM
Toni, yes it's at the Hallamshire. Unfortunately, all my 'areas' are a bit bony, but I'll try to be careful!! He's also organising for me to have some sessions in the hydro pool and on a static bike in the gym, so I think I'm going to be kept busy :-o I got out my little notebook to ask him a few questions and he was most amused to find he was sharing a notebook with Mr Cole - said I must tell him at my next appointment as it would give him a good laugh too!! Kind of makes you wonder what these two have been discussing about me, eh? Then, when I asked him when to make my next appointment he said, Well, that depends. If you bring the notebook, I'll see you in two weeks but if you leave it at home, make an appointment for next Thursday!!!! However, I pointed out that I could think of a lot more questions over a fortnight, so I'm going next week :glee: :glee: I think I must bring out the worst in people :glee: :glee:

I'm currently experimenting with different pad positions and settings on the TENS machine - the jury is still out on whether it's giving me much help, but I suppose it's early days yet and I did promise I'd give it a go. I'm a bit nervous about wearing it at work though, I'm worried the pads might pull off or I'll crank the setting up accidentally and fry myself :-o (Hmmm, maybe that's what they're planning?!) One of the settings he showed me (the burst mode) made a muscle in my side contact and it felt soooo weird, I haven't dared to try that one again yet.

Ali, thanks for your hug and comments, I'm already stuck with one of the exercises though :P Basically, I have to sit on a stool and slump, then correct my posture and tilt my pelvis back and forth 200 times! :help: Trouble is, I can't work out how to make the damn thing move, I just seem to end up shuffling my bum around and then I get a pain in my hip/leg. So I've abandoned that one for now, anyone any ideas what I should be doing?

Anyway, must go now, but I'll keep you all posted on any progress with the TENS etc. :D

andrea
30th April 2007, 08:30 PM
Hi Gilly

I know it's not the same, but i used a TENS machine during labour and absolutely hated it, so you have my sympathy for trying to get used to it. I just didn't like the sensation. I was probably antsy anyway, so I probably would have got stressed with anything, but I was too scared to turn it up really high as it did become quite strong. Hope you find a happy balance with it. The exercises sound like fun.

Best of luck with the physio
Andrea
x

GillyG
1st May 2007, 12:14 AM
Hmm, I know what you mean Andrea, I had it on at work this morning and I felt really itchy and irritable. I can't seem to get above about 3.5 before it prickles really uncomfortably. I think I'm just a wimp! :hammer:

Ah well, I'll keep persevering, thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

Gilly xx

GillyG
7th June 2007, 04:23 PM
Just a quick update.

I had my first hydrotherapy appointment today and it was fun! :spin: Lovely and warm and lots of bobbing around with floats around my arms trying to stay upright using only my back and stomach muscles while Dan wooshed the water around to try and topple me over!! (Apparently, it's all part of the treatment! :P) He's working mainly on my core stability muscles, so we'll see how it goes.

Do you remember me telling you about the loaned TENS machine that I was having some success with? Well, I've now developed four rectangular, red and extremely itchy patches where the electrodes go! :-o So I've had to stop using it until it clears up and I've ordered some pads for sensitive skin to see if they are any better. Why does it always seem like taking one step forwards and three steps back? :( Ah well, never mind, keep looking forwards, eh?

Gilly xx

RugbyLaura
7th June 2007, 05:36 PM
Hi Gilly,

The hydrotherapy sounds great, how often will you be doing this? (And how does Dan rate out of 10?).

Re TENS. Oouucchhh! I too used it in my first labour. The only good thing about it was that it hurt so much that labour seemed a breeze afterwards. I kept thinking that I must be doing it wrong, but given your comments and Andrea's I probably wasn't.

Looking forward to your next installment.

Laura X

tonibunny
7th June 2007, 05:59 PM
Hi Gilly,

I'm allergic to normal TENS pads too! Annoying isn't it? The pads for sensitive skin are great though. Hope your skin clears up soon :squeeze:

I love love love hydrotherapy, I can use the Oswestry Hospital's hydro pool whenever I like and just snorkelling about in the warm water does wonders for relaxing a lot of my muscles and calming down my back pain :D

Toni xx

GillyG
7th June 2007, 07:19 PM
He he, naughty Laura :glee: I would have to give him a good 8 I think, really nice guy and quite a hunk!! I will be having 6 sessions in all, so watch this space - he might reach 9 or 10!! :glee: :glee: :glee:

Poor Toni, you must have suffered the crazy itching too then! I'll let you know how I go on with the sensitive skin ones once mine come through, typically though, they cost twice as much :P

(had to edit due to lousy typing errors!)

Lucy7
8th June 2007, 02:06 AM
Gilly,

I've been well out of the loop in recent months and am only now catching up on everyones news. I am so glad that it looks as if you are moving forward and the physio seems fairly diverse, which can onlhy be a good thing. Hydro sounds heavenly but I have never really likes the TENS experience. Having said that, the last time I had it I found that it did "re-educate" my muscles to stop going into spasm all the time but the sessions themselves were nasty. My skin felt sore and itchy afterwards but I would rub in pure vaseline followed by Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion (the one in the white bottle) on my skin before bed and would wake up with lovely soft and non-irritated skin. I experemented with every cream and this combo worked very well for me.

Anyway, glad you are getting stronger luvie.
Big Hug,
L

GillyG
9th June 2007, 11:08 PM
Lucy!! Great to see you back!!

Thanks for the tip about creams, I'll definitely try them if it flares up again. At the moment it's almost gone and I've got some special pads for sensitive skin to try, but I'm going to wait till Monday when I'm at work as it drives me mad at home, I prefer to use heated wheatbags!

I hope things are going a bit better for you, you've been through a hard time recently. Make sure you take some time out for a bit of well deserved pampering (or retail therapy - always works for me!!)

Take care.

:squeeze: :kiss: :squeeze:

Gilly xx

Mandy
10th June 2007, 08:20 AM
I have been doing hydro therapy for a few months at my surgeons office (they have physical/hydro therapy attached to their office) and it is WONDERFUL. The warm pool is very relaxing, and they have a spa/hot tub to sit in as well. Even on the worst of days, it is almost a treat to just go walk around in the water and loosen up the muscles.
The exercise you described with the stool sounds like something that I have to do on an exercise (swiss/gymnastics) ball. I get the same type of pain that you describe above, so maybe it is common. I have a low fusion and it still feels really stiff and hard to move. idk if this is the same feeling for you, but I get the leg pain and pain in my hip as well (right leg).

Mandy
10th June 2007, 08:22 AM
Duplicate

GillyG
10th June 2007, 02:42 PM
Hi Mandy, thanks for your comments. :-)

I've got the pelvic tilt exercise sussed now, but I had to make a weird shaped cushion to put on the stool as my coccyx is really sore and the hard stool made it much worse :P The leg/hip pain has resolved again now, I must have formed one of those scar nodules Mr Cole told me about over the affected nerve I guess...

Isn't hydrotherapy wonderful? :D I nearly cried when he said I'd only be having 6 sessions - I want 60!!! :glee: I have joined a health club which has a small pool, the water is all the same depth and is a little bit warm but not as nice as the hydro pool! However, they do have a spa pool/jacuzzi, so I make sure I use that too, problem is, that's sometimes too hot....!

Gilly xx

Mandy
10th June 2007, 06:35 PM
I know what you mean. I nearly cried when they told me I only got 12 visits. The surgeon told me that I was supposed to get 30, but the insurance would only pay for 12. I was sooo HAPPY because I hate physical therapy, but then when I got in the water for the first time I was sad. Finally we got it worked out where I am on the "gym program" and I pay per month to go as many times as I want. (that is really nice). Maybe you can talk to your hospital and see if they have any outpatient programs like that as well. I had joined a health club after my 2nd surgery, and the water there in the pool just wasn't warm enough.
Good luck and hope the remainder of your hydrotherapy goes well.
Mandy

GillyG
7th July 2007, 04:49 PM
Just a little update folks :D

I'm not having much luck with the sensitive skin electrodes. Basically, from the very first time of use, the signal felt totally different and not very pleasant. After 3 or 4 uses, the stickiness had almost totally gone, so the signal was either none-existent or intermittent at best. I discussed this with my physio guy who suggested having another go with the original electrodes to check that my TENS unit itself was working OK and in the hope that my previous reaction was a one-off. Unfortunately, within about an hour or so the itchy patches were back, but the signal was brilliant, so the unit itself is obviously fine. So, the question now is, did I just get a duff batch of electrodes or are the electrodes just duff period?!! The company I bought the machine from are sending me some new ones to try free of charge, so we shall have to wait and see.

Hydrotherapy is still going well, not many sessions left now though :cry: I'm managing to do most of the exercises he's shown me in the health club pool, but the water is nowhere near as warm as the hydro pool, so it's just not the same!

I came out if physiotherapy a very happy bunny this week as Pete (my physio) told me he thinks I'm doing really well, especially considering the extent of the surgery I've had. I thought I was doing OK, but it was really lovely to actually be told so. :spin: He took me into the gym this week and had me balancing on one of those gym ball thingies - now that was FUN! He said I should buy one for home and blow it up each day to improve my lung function!! :hammer: :hammer: Anyway, I have bought one, but not actually got round to pumping it up yet!

Will write more when I get my new electrodes.

Gilly xx

Thaleias spirit
7th July 2007, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by GillyG@Jul 7 2007, 04:49 PM
He took me into the gym this week and had me balancing on one of those gym ball thingies - now that was FUN! He said I should buy one for home and blow it up each day to improve my lung function!!
He wants you to do what??????????????
Are you serious? Those things are big, I assumed you should always use a machine to inflate them!

Just even the tought of that . I can't even blow up kids balloons!!

GillyG
7th July 2007, 09:43 PM
Don't panic Chele - my physio just has a wicked sense of humour!! :hammer:

GillyG
20th July 2007, 04:06 PM
Well, had my last hydrotherapy session yesterday, got kicked out a week early for doing so well - damn, just can't win, eh?!

Still having physio sessions but they are also coming to an end as he says there's not much more he can do with me now. He also thinks I'm doing really well, which is brilliant, and I know I should be really pleased not to have to go anymore (it's a right old trek on the bus, if the damn thing even turns up!), but the simple truth of the matter is...I'm scared. Sounds crazy, I know, but I feel a bit like having a rug pulled from under my feet. Pete (my physio guy) is my safety net, someone I've been seeing on a regular basis and can ask loads of questions and always get help and reassurance, and not just about physio exercises. I have a review appointment with Mr Cole at the end of August and then that's it....nothing for a year! I don't think I feel ready to be left completely to my own devices yet - it's a confidence thing - I always have so many questions and there'll be no-one to answer them. I know if something goes horribly wrong I can always phone Mr Cole's secretary or something, but I wouldn't dream of doing that unless it was really serious. But I feel I still need some sort of reassurance that I'm doing things right and everything's OK. Pathetic, eh?

Sorry guys, didn't mean this post to turn out like this, the ramblings of a mad woman!

Gilly xx

Lucy7
20th July 2007, 09:17 PM
Gilly. I TOTALLY get your fear. Its NOT pathetic. I have never had an op but just had two bad accidents - the car thing that messed up my neck this year and my prolapsed disc in 2005. I cried when the physio ended for the disc problem. Two years on I am in pain again and I am so scared about what I should and should not be doing. Is it a disc issue again or the muscles around getting tight? No idea... I am in dire financial probs right now with my divorce and my insurance does not cover old injuries. Also, because of my scoliosis, I no longer get physio covered and last year I got a massive bill to pay. So right now I'll just have to wait. It may be nothing major but I am so worried. Now Gilly, I look at what you and others have been through and I am amazed at how brave you all are. Please never feel silly. If you were not scared, you would be either crazy or on the happiness dust (know what I mean!!).

You rock Gilly 8)

Take care mate and keep us posted
Lucy

GillyG
21st July 2007, 12:01 AM
Lucy, thanks so much for your kind words of support. (I've sent you a PM)

:squeeze:

Gilly xx

lady p
24th July 2007, 10:50 PM
Hi Gilly,
dont ever think you are being pathetic or silly, you have been very strong and brave facing surgery and recovery. What you are feeling is all part of the healing and recovery processes. You have been a tower of strength and support to many people on this site - me included. Keep up the good work :-) :-)

Lady p xx