PDA

View Full Version : Back on track

newgirl
13th March 2007, 10:05 PM
Hi all,
Just to let you know that we are going back into cast on Thursday. It has meant a change of consultant and hospital so we are facing a little bit into the unknown again.
Fingers crossed that Niamh stays healthy until Thursday as she has caught everything going since Christmas including scarlet fever :woe: :woe:

On the really good news front apparantly the new cast is going to be "waterproof". Can't get my head around the concept but can't wait to find out all about it on Thursday. Has anyone any experience of these casts and are they as good as they sound?

Hope everyone is doing well
Nicola

Thaleias spirit
13th March 2007, 10:23 PM
It would be great if it was waterproof .. can imagine there would be no keeping her away from water if that works out !!!

Will keep ye in my thoughts and hope she stays well til Thursday morning. It must be such a relief knowing something is being done again. Was great seeing you again yesterday .. will have to come see Niamh soon and see how much she has grown!!!

*hugs to you all*

Amazed Jean
13th March 2007, 11:31 PM
Waterproof just in time for summer! Sounds good to me. It's always nice to hear your updates.

newgirl
16th March 2007, 10:05 PM
Well we are back in cast :clap:
Yesterday went really well, Niamh was great not a peep out of her the whole day. I got to bring her to theatre for the first time and she didn't even struggle with the mask.
They managed to get very good correction with the cast and yes it is waterproof, she can have a bath, go for a swim basically anything she wants.
She also has a tummy cutout for the first time ever, which is quite cool
As they got such good correction, they are happy not to change the cast for about 3 months, initally we had been told that they may want to change the casts every 4-6 weeks until the best level of correction was achieved but thankfully they got there first time.

We are just so pleased to be back on the right track again.
Nicola

Amazed Jean
16th March 2007, 10:17 PM
Congratulations again!! I know you're happy and maybe this will put some sunshine in your daughter's life.

sins
17th March 2007, 11:37 AM
Hi Nicola,
That's fabulous news.I'm so pleased it went well and hopefully you're feeling more relaxed as well.
Sins

tonibunny
17th March 2007, 01:18 PM
Wow - a waterproof cast! I'd have loved those! How do you dry it inside after a bath or a swim? Is it safe to swim - wouldn't it weigh her down?

titch
17th March 2007, 04:15 PM
That sounds so fantastic! Truly brilliant news, and I'm sure she will just love the freedom of being able to swim :D Is it some kind of fibreglass type of affair then? I imagine whatever it is to be waterproof must also mean that it is quite light?

newgirl
17th March 2007, 09:44 PM
The cast is lined with a gore tex type material which looks like bubblewrap and the cast bit is like fibre glass so it is quite light. The way it works is that the majority of the water will pour out the bottom of the cast and the remainder will be absorbed by the goretex lining and will evaporate away from the skin. This is a bit more information about the liner.
http://www.castliner.com/product_faqs.html
It will take about an hour for the cast to dry out completely after full immersion.
Have tested it out in the bath and so far so good
:-D

Can you tell we are really happy with it?
N

MOB
17th March 2007, 10:12 PM
Thats great news nicola.