PDA

View Full Version : update on Niall plaster jacket removal

jacke
6th March 2007, 01:58 PM
:-) just to let you all know. Niall tried having his jacket removed with the plaster saw last thursday. It was so much better than the last time. Even though it was noisy it was so quick, it was finished before Niall could get too upset. The plaster jacket appears to be holding the curve at 42 degrees. They have advised us that plaster is only effective for two years (that is another six months for niall), and then just monitor every six months. We were told that this is the current procedure which is different from what we initially advised. As we were told that after the plaster jacket, he would be braced to avoid the early need for growing rods. Is this the current policy around the country?. `

Thank you for all the advice on plaster removal it was alot better than last time and Niall was much happier.

Jacke and Niall

tonibunny
6th March 2007, 02:57 PM
Hi, I'm so glad that Niall managed the jacket removal so well :-)

These days, plaster casts are used to try to correct infantile curves whilst the infant's bones are still relatively soft and pliable; as the child gets older the bones get firmer and thus the casts are less likely to actively correct the spine. Children are often put into braces instead because they are seen as easier to tolerate than casts, but there doesn't seem to be a standard age at which casting is stopped; Erin is four and still wearing casts.

When I was a child (over 20 years ago) I wore plaster casts from babyhood to the age of ten - with Milwaukee braces during the summer months - but the casts were only ever intended to hold my curves rather than correct them.

Toni xx

Amazed Jean
6th March 2007, 07:06 PM
Glad to hear that things went well on second removal. Sometimes I think medical people forget how traumatized children can get. Sounds like this time may erase some of the first nightmare visit. )

andrea
8th March 2007, 11:59 AM
Hi Jacke

Glad to hear all went well with the removal. We still have ours removed with the cutters, but it's tough going. As Toni said, there doesn't seem to be any national policy in place for this treatment, and whenever I ask how long Erin will continue to be in casts, I don't get a straight answer. I don't think a brace will be an option for Erin as her curve is too severe and when we stop with casting we'll go straight to growth rods. There doesn't seem to be any reason to stop with the casting for Niall if it's holding the curve though.

Andrea

christine-1985
10th March 2007, 12:42 PM
glad 2 here niall was a brave i hope the curve dont progess