PDA

View Full Version : Looking for others

Erin564032
4th March 2007, 03:38 AM
Hi Everyone,

My name is Erin and I am 32 years old. I have had scoliosis since I was 7. I have an S curve with the top being 60 and the bottom being 49. I am looking for support groups for people who have not had the surgery. I have been going to a chiropractor pretty much my whole life and have little to no pain. I am a competitive tap dancer and because of the S noone even notices I have it until I tell them or they look at my back very carefully. I have had one child and my epidural did not work which sucked. I also wanted to know if anyone knows if when I have another one and I want the epidural if there is something that can be done to make it work. I know that this is a long post but hope someone can help.

Thanks!! :wave:

Amazed Jean
4th March 2007, 09:07 PM
Erin, Welcome to the site. I haven't had surgery or bracing but have not fared as well as you have. I have a fair amount of pain my worst just lately is in my neck. My curves have progressed through the years though. Until I now have three curves instead of the two they found when I was 14. I 'll bet you are doing so much better because you have continued to exercise etc. I unfortunately had "sedentary" jobs where I sat most of the day and was lazy or too tired to exercise. Now I do what I can but I am on oxygen full time and I have a BIpap plus the O2 at night. I'm glad you found us!

crkcallie
5th March 2007, 05:08 AM
Welcome to the site, Erin. I have had scoliosis my whole life, even before I got diagnosed in my pre-teens. I cannot have the surgery, due to a chronic lung disease, and I have to do yoga stretches for the rest of my life. I have three curves in my back right now, the worst being at 90 degrees or more.

sg-ni
5th March 2007, 10:43 PM
Hello there & welcome

Same boat as myself more or less...diagnosed at about 2 with S shaped curve, cast and braced until about 18/19. Curve is also more or less unnoticable to others and im in no pain (other than when I have to stand about for long amounts of time)

crookedmomma
27th June 2007, 06:04 AM
I was too far along for an epidural with my first baby in 2002. :shock: This year, I made it in time! However, because of my curvature, it took about 8 stabbing attempts and 35 minutes to hit the sweet spot in my spine. After that, I felt like I could give birth every day as long as it felt like that! :rox:

RugbyLaura
27th June 2007, 04:22 PM
Hi Erin,

Wow competitive tap dancing at 32 with fairly severe scoliosis, that's amazing!! I'm interested to know why nothing was done about your curves when you were younger and how they've progressed over time. The reason I ask is that my daughter's scoliosis was first noticed at age 7 and she is also a competitive dancer. I've always been told that surgery is inevitable for her, your post gives me hope that it may not be.

:welcome:

Laura