PDA

View Full Version : just a question

lindzi_11
10th August 2004, 06:43 PM
Hey guys

Okay i just wanna take a survey lol. . . . heres the question: if you wore or are wearing a brace how many hours did ur docter to tell u to wear it for and did u really wear it as many hours as u were supposed to. . . . so can u guys tell me how many hours u wore it for and how many hours u were supposed to wear it for. lol sorry if the question is confusing. :D

cuz yah i hate my brace and i'm supposed to wear it for 23 hours a day. . however i only wear it for like maybe 16 hours a day hehe.

Kayla
10th August 2004, 07:08 PM
I had to wear mine 23 hours a day I always snuck it off though I would go to bed with iton and then before I went to bed I would put it in my closet and when I woke up I would put it back on and when I got to school and I would take it off and hide it anytime my mom was around though I had it on

Carly
10th August 2004, 07:11 PM
I was told to wear it for 16 hours a day. I did that for the first couple of months but then went down to 8. My doctor then told me to wear it for 8hours a day and I went down to 0! I know I know, bad me. I am not the greatest..
But hey my curves did not increase!

BlueIce
10th August 2004, 07:18 PM
I had to wear mine at night but I didn't. Maybe a few nights but once I knew how to take it off it spent more time under my bed
I should probably mention that my curves increased. Before surgery the top one was 61, bottom one was 52

tonibunny
10th August 2004, 07:29 PM
I wore my Milwaukee for 23 hours a day for 8 years (when I wasn't wearing a bodycast which you can't take off anyway). However, I was a kiddie at the time, so couldn't get away with not wearing the thing!!!

I had a corset-type brace which I was supposed to wear to protect my back for the 6 months following my surgery when I was 18, but I gave up wearing that after a while....my university campus was built up the side of a hill, and I hated the way I'd get really sweaty on the way to lectures, and then have to sit through them feeling really uncomfortable. Ewww.

lindzi_11
10th August 2004, 07:41 PM
haha. . yah like i don't really wear it during the day anymore. . . . and i'd put it on before I go to bed. . i would go and tell my mom i was goin to bed and then i'd go to my room take it off and put it under my bed.

Carly
10th August 2004, 08:11 PM
I would take it off in my sleep!

lindzi_11
10th August 2004, 09:09 PM
Carly its funny how u said u take it off in ur sleep cuz one night i wore it 2 bed and i woke up the next morning with it VERY loose not even done up. lol

andrea
10th August 2004, 09:24 PM
You lot make me feel grateful that Erin can't take hers off. We have battles enough as it is about all sorts of things, let alone that one as well. No doubt the time will come, and I'll be asking you all what bribes I can use to make her wear it!

BlueIce
10th August 2004, 09:33 PM
show her our xrays and tell what could happen if she doesn't wear it. I think I would have wore mine if I had known what the consequences were.

andrea
10th August 2004, 09:49 PM
Did no one tell you what the importance of wearing it was then? or was it a case of you just didn't want to believe it?

tonibunny
10th August 2004, 09:55 PM
Growing up from the age of 2 wearing the Milwaukee, I never even considered that NOT wearing it was an option, Andrea....I just accepted that I had to wear it and that's the way it was. It was just one of those things. Hopefully Erin will do the same! :-)

andrea
10th August 2004, 10:26 PM
Toni, I can't imagine Erin wearing a milwaukee brace - it looks rather harsh. I thought that they had replaced them with the boston brace until i read of recent members wearing them. Oh well, I guess we'll cope with whatever we're given.

lindzi_11
10th August 2004, 10:33 PM
like wutt are some consquences besides ur curve getting worse??

Jonny
11th August 2004, 12:33 AM
That's it - the curve will get worse, and eventually it'll get to the point where you need surgery.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what does "wutt" mean?

lindzi_11
11th August 2004, 01:00 AM
lol wutt is the same thing as saying "what"

sins
11th August 2004, 01:12 PM
If only I'd had a plaster cast instead of a Milwaukee!!
I was instructed to wear my Brace for 12 hours a day and take it off at might.
The curve went from 45 degrees to 110 degrees and was uncorrectable at that point.Looking back on it now I should have been told to wear it 23 hrs a day.
A brace sitting on top of a wardrobe will do nothing for your scoliosis!!
If my kids ever need a brace I think I'll be like Brian's mom.... :oops: I'll put a lock on it :D
But on a serious note it gives me a great sense of relief to see that with options like properly applied and managed plaster casting and improved surgical techniques and instrumentation, very few will end up with the level of deformity that children of my generation did.If your doctor believes that your brace is actually working then try to motivate yourself so that you will wear it.Even if you end up having surgery,it's easier to correct a 50 degree curve than an 80 degree curve.Four years is a long time to live with a brace on your back but you'll have to live a lifetime with a curved spine.
Surgery is not a CURE for scoliosis so if you can escape without it it's so much better for you.Those who never had the chance to avoid surgery will testify how happy they were with their result, but given a choice to turn the clock back I think most would have tried the brace.
Anyway I'll shut up now.......that concludes the lecture for the day :joke:

Carly
11th August 2004, 03:38 PM
Yah I agree with you sins. But always at the time you dont feel like wearing your brace...

Jonny
11th August 2004, 04:18 PM
At the time it's always a case of I don't feel like wearing it right now - what harm will a couple of hours do? and then another couple of hours, and then it's the whole day, and it's too hot to wear it tonight... My 23 hour brace was on for between about 17 hours and 23 hours - I had periods of wearing it obsessively, sometimes for a couple of days at a time, notably when I first joined the forum in October, and periods of not really caring and taking it off for my hour and leaving it off until bedtime. There was a certain "screw it" factor, because I knew I was having surgery anyway before I got the brace, and that wasn't very encouraging.

But I am indescribably glad that I did wear my brace and it kept my curves under control while I waited for surgery, and it let me eventually get a good correction.

titch
11th August 2004, 04:21 PM
I really, really wish that my scoliosis had been caught sooner so that I had a chance at a brace. My curves were slow moving for the most part, so I'm as sure as I can be that being braced from early enough would have saved me from surgery.

sins
11th August 2004, 05:37 PM
You know it's so difficult for someone who's diagnosed with scoliosis to be given a brace with just periodical check ups be expected to wear it continuosly.How many of you actually received "back up" and encouragement to wear the braces?What did your doctors say to you to help you to wear it?

Carly
11th August 2004, 05:41 PM
NOTHING! My doctor did not help me at all. I really think she thought wearing a brace was so easy...
My mom was encouraging at first but never pushed me to wear my brace. I would always gte mad at her for that... LOL

BlueIce
11th August 2004, 05:55 PM
Mine did nothing too, but as I said before, his social skills really aren't good :-) (and yes, I'm stubborn too)

lindzi_11
12th August 2004, 02:46 AM
I don't even wear mine to skool hehe. Shame on me lol. Even if i did have to wear it to skool i'd still probably take it off. lol! 8)

I dunno i sorta don't see the point in wearing it cuz like wutt if it doesnt work anyways and you wore it alot it would sorta be a waste. right???

Kayla
12th August 2004, 06:28 AM
lol yeah I would wear mine to school and take it off when I got there

Jonny
12th August 2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by lindzi_11@Aug 12 2004, 02:46 AM
I dunno i sorta don't see the point in wearing it cuz like wutt if it doesnt work anyways and you wore it alot it would sorta be a waste. right???
Bracing nowadays is very successful and if a curve is caught early and braced, there's a pretty good chance you can catch it. It would be very foolish not to wear it on the offchance that it wouldn't work, because with modern bracing techniques, it probably will. And even if surgery is planned despite the brace, it'll keep it down to a level where you'll still have good correction.

ivanleg
12th August 2004, 02:33 PM
30 degree curves + milwaukee brace + worn 23 hours a day + 6 years treatment = 90 degree curves
Hmm, the math didn't quite work for me but I am the exception I guess.

lindzi_11
12th August 2004, 03:05 PM
yah but my curves were caught too late so like they'll only go down to 45 anyway.

Jonny
12th August 2004, 03:57 PM
Ivy, unfortunately, yeah :-( plus it wasn't a modern Milwaukee. If a brace keeps a curve even stable Lindsay, it's doing its job and it's worth wearing, always.

BlueIce
12th August 2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by lindzi_11@Aug 12 2004, 04:05 PM
yah but my curves were caught too late so like they'll only go down to 45 anyway.
Imagine a 60 curve being pulled straight and do the same thing with a 45 curve. In most cases the last one will have the best correction.
I didn't wear my brace at all, but if it had slowed down my progression, I could be sitting here with 0 curves in stead of 20. You should really consider wearing it

lindzi_11
12th August 2004, 09:32 PM
eeeeeeeeeek. . . .