PDA

View Full Version : What should I expect after my daughter's op?

Rachie
20th February 2007, 10:26 PM
We had a second opinion at Great Ormond Street Hospital on Friday. We are very pleased that we have been able to to transfer Maddy's care to Mr Noordeen there. She should have growth rod surgery in 3 - 4 months time.

Our main concern post-op is that we have a very boisterous 4 year old son who loves to rough and tumble and doesn't take much notice of what we say to him! How on earth do we protect Maddy from him while she is recovering from surgery?

Rachie x

andrea
21st February 2007, 01:27 PM
Hi Rachie

It's great that you now feel comfortable with your surgeon and Maddy's treatment. It makes such a huge difference!

Do you know if Maddy will be placed in a cast after the operation? Some surgeons do this while others don't, but it may add some extra support and reassurance for you and her that she won't get injured in any way while her back is still so sensitive. Even a brace would help. You may just find that after her spell in hospital, your son will realise the enormity of what she's been through and be gentle with her. I guess by the time she has the operation, he may be in school, if he isn't already, which will help give her a break during the day.

Sorry I can't be much help.
Andrea
x

GillyG
21st February 2007, 01:52 PM
Andrea, I'm sure your lovely reply will have been a great help to Rachie, and as you say she will almost certainly be put in a brace, at the very least, after surgery.

Rachie, once your daughter looks a bit different (with a brace or cast) this will probably also help your son be a bit less boisterous with her. Kids are often a lot more perceptive than we give them credit for, I'm sure things will be fine. :-)

Keep us updated on your daughter's progress. :squeeze:

Gilly xx

tonibunny
21st February 2007, 01:55 PM
Hi Rachie, that's great news. Mr Noordean is one of the older, more experienced scoliosis docs around - I remember his name from years and years ago, and I think he may have treated Vicki as a child.

Because he's an older surgeon who worked at Stanmore for a while I suspect that he'd be more likely to cast Maddy after her operation; it was standard practice in Stanmore back then, although they didn't have growth rods at that time. The newer surgeons don't seem to be as keen on casting as the older ones.

I love the idea of growth rods, they are a brilliant invention and it makes me really happy that children can have them now :D

andrea
21st February 2007, 02:17 PM
Rachie, just had a thought. You may want to check out www.veptr.com for their experiences. Yes, it's a different operation, but it's still spine-related and they have good sections on what to expect after the operation and what the expansion ops are like. It won't be identical, but may give some good tips and help manage your expectations.

Rachie
22nd February 2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the website recommendation - I will check that out when I have some time.

Maddy will be in a brace for 3 months post op so, yes, her brother will notice she is different. Her op should be May/June and he won't actually be in school until September so I am going to have occupy them for the whole summer holiday! This is a bit of a nightmare in terms of having them both to entertain, but I think its a lot better for Maddy who will not miss so much of school. She should be okay to go back, at least part time, in September.

Thanks guys :clap:

sarmstrongs
15th March 2007, 01:14 AM
Hi
what i did when lauren had her cast when she was 5 i brougt my twins who were then 3 and right tear aways a roman toy suit of amour so that they didnt feel left out but saying that avoid the showds that come with some. They thought it was great in the begining but were very careful around her its amazing how sibblings know to be careful because they were terrible if it was breakable theyd break it tell them not to touch and theyd touch. but they were fantastic. SO I WOULDNT WORRY TOO MUCH
just play by ear and all will be ok

littlelou1975
24th April 2007, 11:19 PM
Although A long long time ago.. (1981). I had my first plaster cast at 6 and after 4 or 5 weeks (I wore it for 6 months!!) I thought I was invincible! It was my tortoise shell! I have also been braced..this I was not so tolerant of because I knew it could be removed. Your child will surprise you..they are sometimes tougher than we give them credit for. I wish you lots of luck!