PDA

View Full Version : Compensatory curve

ELLA22
18th February 2007, 09:27 AM
Hi all
Cerys actually sat still for long enough to have a look at her back last night and it looks like she is starting to curve further down her back. I know that it is usual for a compensatory curve but will they do surgery just on the main curve (which looks like it's getting worse?) or on both?. She has an extra hemivertebrae at the base of her spine too. Can't wait to get back to the hospital to see what we are doing!
Thanks - Ella

GillyG
19th February 2007, 04:50 PM
Hi Ella,

I think it's quite common to just treat the main curve as the compensatory one will usually sort itself out afterwards. The bending x-rays done before surgery help to distinguish between which curves will self-correct and which won't. However, I have no idea what affect the extra hemivertabrae has on all this, so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

Do you have long to wait until you next see the consultant? Make sure you write down all the things you want to ask before you go, if you're anything like me you'll go blank when you get in there otherwise! :P

It's always easier once you know what you're dealing with, I hope you don't have too long to wait. :squeeze:

Gilly xx