PDA

View Full Version : growth rods

snowy24040
7th February 2007, 04:15 PM
hi everyone
me and hubby were talking about the growth rods courtney will be having and we came up with some wierd ideas of how they will be lengthing them every six months.i thought it best to find out how its really done. :idea:

titch
7th February 2007, 05:16 PM
I haven't managed yet to find anything more specific, but here's a link that shows growth rods in use: http://www.scoliosisassociates.com/subject...pn=practice1025 (http://www.scoliosisassociates.com/subject.php?pn=practice1025) As you can see, the rod is very thick in the middle, and on the side view appears to have steps in it. I believe that similarly to the old Harrington rods, growth rods effectively have a sort of ratchet system in them, so that the lengthening procedures basically involve opening just a small amount of the scar to get to the ratcheted part of the rod and crank it out longer. That's not a very descriptive explanation of course! I do also know that for some years there have been tests done to try to develop rods which would be able to be lengthened without surgery, because the ratchet is motorised, but they're unfortunately still a long way away yet.

andrea
9th February 2007, 10:11 AM
Unfortunately I don't have anything to add to Titch's explanation, which I think is pretty accurate. Your surgeon should be able to explain this fully to you. Are you meeting again with him soon, or not until the surgery?

Best of luck with it all
Andrea
x

Rachie
12th February 2007, 12:50 PM
Hi, my daughter is expecting to have growth rod surgery too. As far as I am aware it is a simple 10 minute operation to lengthen the rods as they are telescopic. I understand that they are trying to develop then with an electromagnet, so that the lengthening can take place without surgery. However that is 10 years away apparently as the pull required is very great and they need to find a way of getting the magnet small enough!

We have an appointment at Great Ormond Street on Friday and we have loads of questions to ask, so I will let you know if I find out anything else.

Rachie 8)

crkcallie
12th February 2007, 05:04 PM
I don't know anything about the growth rods, but I heard that every time the child grows, the child has to have surgery to get new rods put in. I don't know if that's true or not. Don't quote me on that.

andrea
12th February 2007, 05:54 PM
No, that's not true. It is true that the child will need a surgery to extend the rods, as detailed in Titch's post above, but they will not need new rods. It's just so that the rods "grow" with the child and keep the correction.

I'd be very interested to hear exactly how it's done, if you can find out Rachie. Good luck with the appointment on Friday.