PDA

View Full Version : financial help

snowy24040
2nd February 2007, 01:35 PM
HI EVERYONE IVE GOT OPERATION INFO FOR COURTNEY TODAY THEY ARE OPERATING AT THE END OF MARCH AT GUYS,WOULD I WOULD LIKE TO NO IS I WORK AT THE MOMENT SO IAM GOING TO HAVE TO GIVE UP WORK FOR THE NEAR FUTURE AT LEAST HAS ANYONE CLAIMED DLA FOR THERE CHILDREN OR CARERS ALLOWENCE OR IS THIS CONDITION NOT CONSIDERED SERIOUS ENOUGH TO CLAIM .OBVIOUSLY COURTNEYS HEALTH IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYTHING SO ILL BE GIVING UP WORK REGARDLESS BUT IF YOU CAN CLAIM ANY BENEFITS THIS WOULD BE A BONUS. :niceone:
SHARON COURTNEYS MUM

titch
2nd February 2007, 02:38 PM
You might want to look into parental leave rights:
http://www.dti.gov.uk/employment/employmen.../page18480.html (http://www.dti.gov.uk/employment/employment-legislation/employment-guidance/page18480.html) It's unpaid, but if all goes well 13 weeks should cover it anyway, and 18 (the entitlement for a disabled child, which Courtney may well qualify as) is certainly likely to.

I suspect DLA will not be an option as it's pretty much designed for ongoing needs, and the guidance here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople...ort/DG_10011816 (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DG_10011816) says:
Your child must need a lot more help or supervision than other children of the same age.

You can claim for care needs before a child is aged three months, but benefit will not be paid before the child reaches the age of three months unless they are paid under ‘special rules’ (see below).

You can claim for mobility needs from:

age three, if your child is unable, or virtually unable, to walk
age three, if your child is both 100% blind and 80% deaf
age three, if your child is severely mentally impaired with severe behavioural problems and qualifies for the highest rate of care component
age five, if your child needs guidance or supervision when walking out of doors

That said, the guidance implies that it's almost impossible for more or less anyone to get - it's certainly worth a visit to your local CAB and to ask them for assistance in filling out the forms, as all too much of the decision comes down to key words and key numbers. Hopefully they would also be able to advise on what other benefits may be available, although it looks like Carer's Allowance is only available if the person you are a carer for is getting certain key benefits themselves.

Hope that helps a little!

Abbi
2nd February 2007, 03:09 PM
Hey! When I had surgery my mum was off for 8 weeks! Her work gave her compassionate leave, and the GP just signed her off with 'stress'
I think she got full pay as well....but I guess what you are paid is up to the individual employer!

sins
2nd February 2007, 03:45 PM
Hi Sharon,
As a mum myself, I would be reluctant to give up my job unless I really had to.
You should be entitled to parental leave which is unpaid.I've taken this myself when my kids were younger.You can see if it applies to you.Titch has provided the link.Some employers can be awkward about it but most aren't, provided they have enough notice.
alternatively and the best thing is to ask your GP if they'd sign you off for stress, at least you'd have some entitlement to money.
I know where you're coming from though and your daughter's health is of vital importance to you.
Sins

ELLA22
2nd February 2007, 04:32 PM
Hi
We get DLA for Cerys but she has other medical problems too. The form is pages long and it helps to have someone help fill it in! I always photocopy it before I send it too just in case. I didn't have any problem with them but I've heard lots of horror stories! and cases going to appeal and tribrunals etc. I would give them a ring and they will tell you if it's worth filling the forms in. If you do get DLA then inform the tax credit people too as you get a little bit more.
It's good to hear that you have a date and it's not too far away either. Good luck with the dla. If you need anymore info let me know.
Ella x

christine-1985
4th February 2007, 01:21 AM
hi i get dla for my scoliosis and have been getting it since 11 or 12 i think

sandrahinder
22nd September 2013, 03:58 PM
Hi My daughter (14 years old) has just been diagnosed with a 66% curve in her spine, would we be able to get dla to help with home schooling? any advice would be helpful please

tonibunny
22nd September 2013, 05:05 PM
Hi Sandra, welcome to SSO :welcome2:

If scoliosis is your daughter's only issue then it is very unlikely that you will be able to claim DLA for her. DLA isn't awarded simply because someone has a specific condition or illness, but rather because the person has care or mobility needs due to having a disability or illness.

A teenager with a 66 degree scoliosis wouldn't usually have any care or mobility needs. If, however, your daughter also has other conditions that affect her then it may be worth applying for DLA because of those.

Hope that helps,
Toni xx