PDA

View Full Version : Siblings

ELLA22
31st January 2007, 12:13 PM
Hi everybody
Just had a thought, should I be getting Cerys' brother and sister checked for scoliosis at the doctors?. I have looked to check as much as I can! but am assuming that it is part of Cerys' genetic syndrome and Brooke and Ethan have not shown any signs of having any symptoms. They are 8 and nearly 7.
Thanks - Ella x x

GillyG
31st January 2007, 12:33 PM
Hi Ella

It wouldn't hurt to let your Doctor give them the once-over, it's possible a trained eye could pick up something you've missed. However, if Cerys's is due to an actual genetic condition which her siblings have shown no sign of, then I wouldn't have thought they would be at any higher risk of developing scoliosis than anyone else.

I would ask anyway to set your mind at rest :-)

gilly xx

titch
31st January 2007, 01:01 PM
It's certainly worth keeping an eye on them, give them a quick check every few months and it wouldn't hurt to get the doctor to do a check up either.

It is most likely that Cerys has scoliosis because of the genetic syndrome, and that does mean that the likelihood of your other children developing supposedly idiopathic scoliosis is very low, however fairly recent research has indicated that while there is not a strong link between congenital scoliosis and idiopathic scoliosis in the majority of cases, there is a slightly higher risk in some families. One family I know of in particular who have both is the Burns family, whose young son Braydon has VACTERL association and scoliosis due to the congenital anomalies caused by it, and whose older daughter developed idiopathic scoliosis (mild thankfully) in her teens. I must stress that it is *rare* as I recall from the research (I'll try to find the abstract to post it here, but I'll have to remember the right terms to find it so may take a while), but it does seem the old advice that there is no link at all within families may be out of date - basically not something to do much worrying about, but definitely worth keeping an eye on just in case.

titch
31st January 2007, 01:08 PM
I don't think this is the one I was looking for, but here's the overview of a paper published in 2002: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=12151879&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_docsum)

It suggests the risk is not high, but nevertheless noteworthy - I'm sure the risk is less than that of a child developing idiopathic scoliosis if one of their siblings has it, but of course the earlier treatment of a curve commences the better, so I think you're quite right to want to keep an eye on it even knowing the chances are low. If I find more papers I'll update again.

BeckyH
31st January 2007, 03:34 PM
my mum panicked when i was diagnosed and dragged my younger sister to one of my consultations. my consultant deemed her back "perfect", which i had a sulk about for a while :D

i don't think there's any harm in keeping an eye on your other children, but my opinion is that every child should be monitored, regardless of genetic predisposition because we still don't know what causes most scoliosis.

ELLA22
1st February 2007, 04:54 PM
Thanks everybody
I will get the gp or school nurse to give them the once over soon. I'm more worried about my son as his shoulder blades do stick out quite a bit and he has some hearing loss like Cerys. Cerys' geneticist said that they are very similar so will make him bend down every so often to check. He'll think I'm loopy but never mind!
Thanks for the article Titch - I will also ask Dr Freeman when we see him in March