PDA

View Full Version : Kyphosis/Scoliosis

Jose Curvo
23rd January 2007, 04:24 AM
I'm new to the forums and I haven't had much time to look around yet, but I had a couple of questions about the surgery and everything. I saw my doctor about a year and a half ago about getting surgery on my back (I don't remember the degree of Kyphosis or Scoliosis I had, but it was pretty bad). I was told the surgery I would recieve would be where they take out my bottom two ribs and break them into chunks which will be put between the discs of my spine to straighten it, and then have two metal rods put in to support my spine. I opted out of the surgery because I wasn't experiencing any pain, but I have been recently. I'm 19 years old and I'm pretty active with playing music and everything, and I'm afraid the recovery of the surgery might bring an end to those dreams. Basically I'm just wanting to know if anyone knows how long the recovery of this surgery is and everything.
Thanks for any help.

Amazed Jean
23rd January 2007, 06:31 AM
Welcome to the site. I'm sure several someones here will be able to tell you about their surgeries and recoveries.

GillyG
23rd January 2007, 03:50 PM
Hi there and :welcome:

I don't think you should think of recovery from the surgery as putting an end to your dreams, I suppose it depends on the timescale you're looking at.

I had my surgery 5 months ago and returned to work on a phased return just before Christmas. I do still get quite a lot of pain/discomfort, especially when walking, but I was 49 when I had the op and apparently my curve was very stiff (fused into a curve at one part) and this made the surgery more difficult and complex.

At 19, you should be an ideal candidate for surgery as your spine should still be quite flexible and the recovery should be much quicker, although obviously there's no guarantee of that as every case is very individual.

I think the costoplasty (the procedure to remove the ribs which cause the hump) causes quite a lot of pain early on in the recovery phase, but I don't know for how long as I didn't have that done since the goal of my surgery was more about stabilizing the spine than cosmesis - and even so I still got a fantastic correction :-)

Perhaps you need to be thinking about your longer term health, especially if you're already experiencing pain, as the body heals much more efficiently when you're young.

Hope this helps a bit, and remember, whatever your decision, there will always be support for you on this site if you need it :kiss:

Gilly x

Little Ali
24th January 2007, 08:23 PM
Hi there! :welcome2:

I know how scary the prospect of scoliosis surgery is! I'm due for surgery in 2 weeks! :shock:

What musical instruments do you play? There shouldn't be any reason why having the surgery should end your dreams. You'll just need to take it easy for a few months after surgery (no bending, lifting or twisting (BLT)) Hopefully in the long run the surgery will make it more comfortable to do things like that.

I had a fusion 13 years ago and it took me about 6 months to get back to normal. I use a wheelchair so at a physical disadvantage but like GillyG said you should bounce back pretty quickly! :jump:

Good luck with it all!

mark
24th January 2007, 09:24 PM
Hi Jo welcome to SSO

I hope you enjoy the forums and can get some useful information and support from them. Any kyphosis surgery does carry a risk but there have been several members who have had surgery on some very large curves who were in the 30s when they had the surgery. If you read through some of the posts in this forum from zerodegrees, Phil and Andy d you will get some idea of what they went through

mark