PDA

View Full Version : biofeedback

xstephx
21st January 2007, 01:28 PM
In a psychology lesson last week, we were learning about biofeedback- how you can learn to control involuntry behaviours, i.e. slowing doen your heart rate or something.

On the powerpoint we were learning from, my tutor had a slide about biofeedback helping to straighten curved spines and thern i found this on the internet :

"A behavioral treatment of scoliosis and kyphosis was tested with 27 adolescent patients (19 scoliosis, eight kyphosis patients) to determine in which cases the conspicuous and restraining brace treatment could be replaced. In 22 compliant patients, posture biofeedback (PB) was highly effective compared to five non-compliant patients. Biologically more mature scoliosis patients (menarche at the beginning of treatment) seemed to profit more from PB. With kyphosis patients the PB treatment resulted in rapid straightening of the spine and removal of structural deformities of Scheuermann's disease. PB may serve as an unobtrusive yet effective treatment alternative for both juvenile scoliosis and kyphosis."

I was just wondering what you all thought of this and if anyones ever heard/ tried it ?

It would be interesting to find out what it actually consists of and if it is any good. Feel free to discuss.....

Steph

tonibunny
21st January 2007, 02:13 PM
I'm afraid that I think it sounds very implausible. It might work for people who have postural scoliosis that can be 'cured' by simply standing up straight, but I can't see how it could cure structural scoliosis.

As for "removing the structural deformities of Sheuermann's disease" - I fail to see how? Sheuermann's is caused by vertebrae that have grown wedge-shaped.....the bones themselves are deformed, so all the biofeedback in the world isn't going to make them physically change shape.

Where did you find that info Steph? It would be interesting to know how severe these cases of scoliosis and kyphosis were.

GillyG
21st January 2007, 07:44 PM
I have to agree with Toni here, how can it be possible to remove structural deformities using biofeedback alone - it just doesn't ring true. I would be interested to hear more detail about this topic though, and where the information originated from.

titch
21st January 2007, 08:42 PM
I could be wrong but had thought that if appropriate bracing was able to be applied early enough in Scheuermann's, that in at least some cases it could cause genuine straightening - basically, it doesn't so much fix the collapse as more that it prevents the rear of the spine growing so much (pressure on growth plates will encourage them not to grow so much), which has the net result in some cases of the vertebrae becoming a more normal shape as they continue to grow. Hardly a cure of course.

I must say I would also be very sceptical of the idea of Postural Biofeedback being able to correct the actual bony deformity of Scheuermann's - I could see it having impact on the postural elements, but that would be all.

mark
21st January 2007, 09:22 PM
Agree with all said above, as someone who suffers from Scheuermann's condition (i hate calling it a disease)it is structural and definately not postural and as such can not be cured by someone shouting at you to stand up properly as i had.

Amazed Jean
21st January 2007, 10:42 PM
Biofeedback as I recall from what I've read and heard can lower blood pressure and relax people and help with pain issues but there is no way I am going to beleive that it will make much difference to really wonky spines. I suppose if you have a minor postural problem practicing biofeedback might help but I won't beleive it until I hear it from someone with Kyphosis or Scoliosis. I think our spines have their way with us and it takes a lot of strong intervention to change a twisting or curving spine.

Tweety Pie
22nd January 2007, 12:48 AM
Would be interested to know more about the source of this info.

xstephx
22nd January 2007, 07:55 PM
Yeah i thought as much! No harm in trying though..
um i just looked it up on google, let me see if i can find then link n ill get back to you.

UPDATE

Here is the link : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...1&dopt=Citation (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&list_uids=7990071&dopt=Citation)

I just typed in 'biofeedback scoliosis' into the scholar part on google that i use for college and had a look on what came up. Its quite interesting actually.

GillyG
22nd January 2007, 11:12 PM
Hmm... thanks for the link Steph. Have to say I'm still a sceptic though, I still don't see how it can correct the structural deformities like it claims to. :roll:

Tweety Pie
23rd January 2007, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the link.Whilst browsing briefly I found this:

"...adults with scoliosis may experience psychosocial limitations due to poor physical health or body image disturbance. Support group membership can improve psychosocial health in adults with scoliosis. "

Hooray for sso!

GillyG
23rd January 2007, 04:30 PM
I'll second that :kiss:

Love your avatar btw!

Gilly xx

sg-ni
23rd January 2007, 06:48 PM
"...adults with scoliosis may experience psychosocial limitations due to poor physical health or body image disturbance. Support group membership can improve psychosocial health in adults with scoliosis. "

I remember at one of my appointments years ago, I mustve been about 13 to 15 or so at the time. The doc asked about my "mental well being" on a few of my appointments, i cant think of any other better word to use for it but anyway it was just about if it was really affecting my confidence and stuff like that being in the brace during all those years. Its only really now that ive been out of the brace and away from the hospital for a few years ive had time to "reflect" so to speak on things like self confidence & social anxiety(i think thats what its called?) an what could have been if i didnt have to wear the oul brace. I used to be awful some years ago at times, some days better than others. I had to actually get myself all "psyched" up to go and meet new people an stuff like that, it was a big thing for me :nutter:. im not too bad now in that regard but still plenty of room for improvement :niceone: Best way to put it is that i never really got out of my shell, like when being a teenager until i finally got out of the brace for good. In conculsion forums like these are a great thing for rants and the like :niceone:

Thats my slabbering done for today!

Little Ali
23rd January 2007, 09:29 PM
I'm sorry but I think this is a load of rubbish! My uncle has just been told that his back problems are 'psychological.' I've told him to tell him he's a blood relation of mine and I'm sure there's something genetic in it!

People writing things like this really pee me off! :idiot:

Tweety Pie
25th January 2007, 12:58 AM
Gilly,Glad you like my avatar!