PDA

View Full Version : Old Newbie!

javaboy
17th January 2007, 07:01 AM
Hi all!
New to this forum, but not to kyphoscoliosis, or to some of you, who may have seen me poking about on the forums at scoliosis.org.
At age 27, I was coerced by my then-fiancee, now wife, to go and get my back checked out by my doctor. I was having chronic migraines and neck pain, couldn't lift anything above my head, and seemed to have a bit of a hunchback. The doctor sent me off for x-rays, and the rest is history.
They found an anterior unsegmented bar from T9 to T11. It hadn't been detected when I was younger because it's fairly light on the curves - 21o scoliosis, 42o kyphosis, and hence underneath the usual curves they operate at.
They've left it where they found it (it seems to be stable enough, and the curve is low, so operating was ruled out). So the battle has been to sort out the muscles around it that have been giving me all sorts of problems.
My migraines were linked back to an imbalance between my trapezius and sternocleidomastoid (SCM) muscles. My traps are too weak, and my SCMs are chronically tight - apparently a classic symptom of spending far too much time leaning forward and hunching over. When they're overworked, these muscles inflame and trap nerves, causing the migraines, and some killer pain to go with it!
I've spent the last couple of years on Pilates and swimming to correct this, but it's a slow process. We're trying to correct 27 years of incorrect muscle use, so I'm having to rebuild muscle by muscle.

Pleasure to have found you all! Hope to help a few of you who are not as far down the line as me! :-)

mark
17th January 2007, 08:32 AM
Hello welcome to SSO

Heres a link to some exercises that might be of use to you

http://www.scoliosis-support.org/modules/i...&showtopic=3433 (http://www.scoliosis-support.org/modules/ipboard/index.php?s=&showtopic=3433)

and heres a link to a discussion on muscles

http://www.scoliosis-support.org/modules/i...&showtopic=3347 (http://www.scoliosis-support.org/modules/ipboard/index.php?s=&showtopic=3347)

I hope you enjoy the site and find it as supportive as i do. We are friendly bunch who just want to help each other through the good and bad times

mark

GillyG
17th January 2007, 01:12 PM
Hi Javaboy!

I can sympathise totally with the migraine thing, I was getting them extremely frequently until my surgery last August. I thought they might be something to do with either a trapped nerve or muscle spasms in my neck, but was still surprised when they stopped completely after the op, and I haven't had one since :-D

I'm sorry to hear that it's such a slow process to balance up your muscle strength, but have you ever thought of trying acupuncture to help with the pain in the meantime? In 2005 I suffered what my GP thought might have been a 'vertebral collapse', when my back pain suddenly shot through the roof and I had a trapped sciatic nerve. This was what prompted her to refer me to an orthopaedic consultant, as conventional physio just made things worse. However, one of the physiotherapists at work suggested acupuncture for the pain, which didn't touch my back pain but definitely helped with the trapped nerve.

Hope things go OK for you.

Gilly x

Little Ali
17th January 2007, 03:21 PM
Hi there! :welcome2:

Amazed Jean
17th January 2007, 07:52 PM
Hello and Welcome.

javaboy
18th January 2007, 01:02 AM
Thanks all!

Thanks for the links, Mark - I recognize a couple of the stretches there as being similar to a couple of the things they've had me doing in pilates. But I do need to do things like this more (don't we all)! :oops:

Gilly- I haven't tried acupuncture yet, but I do need to look into things like that. I've been surviving on over-the-counter painkillers for the last few years, and while they work, I'm starting to get a bit sick (literally!) of the side-effects. I have a sister-in-law having acupuncture, so I should pick her brains! :D
And yes, looking forward to the day they just stop! :party:

Tweety Pie
21st January 2007, 11:39 PM
Hello there!