PDA

View Full Version : Scars and sun

BlueIce
6th August 2004, 11:08 PM
I was just surfing the net to find out if I could do something to help my scar heal. On a site about automutilation (cutting yourself) it said that sun is good for scars, when in the hospital they told me to avoid the sun. I'll translate that part:
Sun is good for your scars - it makes them fade away - when it's moderate. The scar tissue is more vulnerable than the other parts of the skin, so use sun lotion.

I find this very weird. I've always been told to avoid the sun for the first year and they tell people that it wouldn't hurt. Who's right on this one?
And any good tips for scars? I bought nivea with vitamin E and almond oil which are supposed to be good for this.

Lieve
6th August 2004, 11:28 PM
I heard always to avoid sun on scars but I have not a medical background to confirm it with evidence. And if I start thinking about it we as skaters never hide our injuries to the sun but it's no reference at all because every one of us is full of scars on the knees and elbows. :roll:
Maybe you should ignore this post :ignore:

DublinPauline
6th August 2004, 11:34 PM
A friend of mine whose toddler had a gash on his face were told that he should avoid the sun for a year to avoid permanent scarring.

jfkimberly
7th August 2004, 12:31 AM
Consider the sources... you've got medical professionals on one hand, and self-mutilators on the other. I think I'd go with the advice of the medical professionals and avoid the sun.

Kaja
7th August 2004, 01:04 AM
Um, I think that the article you read explained the effects on old and healed scars? My doc said I need to put on atleast SPF 25 on it this summer. I did so, no problem :D You should probably avoid the sun right now though, so soon after surgery. Anyways, listen to your doctor!

Joy
7th August 2004, 01:38 AM
I've always heard that you need to protect your scars from the sun. If they burn, thats bad.

jaedyn
7th August 2004, 05:33 AM
*raises her hand* i can offer a little insight here... not too much, seeing as i only work in a tanning salon and i am most definitely not a dermatologist, but hey... i don't mind throwing my 2 cents in.

after i had my surgery, i was told that my scars had to avoid UV light for the first nine months. i thought this was my doctor just being overly cautious, but when i started working at the tanning studio, i was told the same thing - a minimum 9 months for fresh scars. we have to tell all of our clients that, and if their scars fall into that category, we help them cover them up for their sessions, or if they're really big we don't let them tan at all.

keloid scars shouldn't be tanned, from what i've learned. they are very succeptible to burning even when they're years old... and if you don't believe me, ask the scar on my stomach. it's a 16 year old keloid and i burned it just a few weeks ago - it still hasn't healed completely.

one of the main reasons to avoid burning scars is because they can develop permanent blood blisters underneath - not an attractive sight. the easiest way to protect scars that you can reach is by applying - get this - an SPF chapstick. like your lips, scars have no protective pigment, so those chapsticks are your best bet for protection.

on another note - i've been told that fresh tattoos should wait at least six months before exposure, and that fresh body piercings should have a three month no-sun time. and tattoos with white or yellow in them will lose those colors very quickly under prolonged sun exposure.

jfkimberly
7th August 2004, 06:52 AM
Very informative post, jaedyn.

Kayla
7th August 2004, 07:21 AM
Yah I have also heard you need to keep out of the sun atleast for my scar on my neck because it has a durapatch but havnt heard on my other scars

BlueIce
7th August 2004, 12:06 PM
I've bought sun lotion with factor 25 in case I go out on a sunny day. My scar is too big to cover it up with summer clothes. Mostly you can see a little bit of it above or below my top. It is pretty annoying with this heath wave and all, but I'll just hope we get another one next year and I'll enjoy it then :-)
I still think it's weird that they'd put such a thing online, especially for self-mutilators. I figured they wanted to hide the scars as much as possible.

mark
7th August 2004, 12:07 PM
I'd go with Jenn and Kim

Marti
8th August 2004, 01:16 AM
I was told to avoid the sun. I burn incredibly easily (i have a pretty bad burn from yesterday even though i put a lot of sunscreen on), so I got a tankini and onepiece for the summer. I haven't burnt my scar yet and it's healing really well. you can barely see it now. And I think that vitamin e works... I used it on my scar.

jaedyn
8th August 2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by jfkimberly@Aug 6 2004, 08:52 PM
Very informative post, jaedyn.
*blushes* thanks. i didn't realize how long it was before i posted it... i tend to ramble a bit, me thinks (it's the writer in me).

i should listen to myself when it comes to caring for scars in the sun... went out to help my mother paint the rails on her deck and got a wee bit too much sun. ah well, doesn't look like a burn, but makes the scars sensitive as heck!

Pikey
8th August 2004, 10:38 AM
Now my op on my back was about the time of the ice age , well nearly .I had my op in 1976 and had to wear a large plastercast over my body through the hottest summer ever , after that I had to wear a Milwaulkee brace for another year .When I was finally set free and allowed to finally shed my clothes I guess it was the summer of 78 and I can confirm your scar will get sunburn and become sore if you dont put sun protection cream on .Then again it has faded quite well .So I guess my post hasn't really helped , ho hum . :pint:

jfkimberly
8th August 2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Pikey@Aug 8 2004, 03:38 AM
Now my op on my back was about the time of the ice age , well nearly .I had my op in 1976...
Hmm. My first fusion op was in 1974. Second one was in 1975. Ice age, eh?

Pikey
8th August 2004, 11:10 AM
Oh , Stone age then . :lol:
Or with what I had put in my back maybe it was Metal age .

jaedyn
8th August 2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by BlueIce@Aug 6 2004, 01:08 PM
I was just surfing the net to find out if I could do something to help my scar heal. On a site about automutilation (cutting yourself)...
i just noticed that part...

and i agree with BlueIce, doesn't it seem ironic that a site about self-mutilation would tell you ways to help your scars fade?

*shrugs*

anyhoo, to comment on sun helping scars fade, it really does. lots of scars i have on my arms and legs, minor ones from chickenpox and the like, have faded from sun exposure... but i wouldn't think of heliotherapy for deep tissue wounds.

Becky
9th August 2004, 07:32 PM
I was told that lavender helps scars heal, but i assume that the scar will have to be completely healed.

Ill have to top my tan up before i have my op if you cant have scars in the sun!!

Angel :angel:

BlueIce
9th August 2004, 08:02 PM
lavender.. I'll look that up later. Someone I knew gave me this basket filled with stuff for your body, and it was all with lavender. I don't like the smell but if it's good for my scar it's worth trying it :-)

Jonny
9th August 2004, 11:32 PM
I've found the smell of lavender oil to be very very relaxing, and since surgery I've kept a small bottle of lavender oil by my bed to sniff if I'm a little uptight and need to get to sleep.

Joy
10th August 2004, 01:06 AM
I hate the smell of lavender. I used vitamin E oil for a while.

Hi, Jenn. You're back!

Jonny
19th August 2004, 12:24 AM
Article about sun damage on scars...hope it's helpful (http://yalenewhavenhealth.org/healthnews/healthday/040731HD510829.htm)

Crazy16girl
19th August 2004, 03:20 PM
oops, ive just been on holiday in the 50's and 60's and wore a bikini. I was told sun does the scar good, well mines faded anyway and its made it feel smoother getting a tan.

BlueIce
19th August 2004, 04:58 PM
I don't know how long ago you've had your surgery, but they told me that you don't need extra protection after a year or so. A bit of sun probably wouldn't hurt, but I burn easily so I just stay out of the sun for a while :-)

Crazy16girl
19th August 2004, 05:33 PM
i burn easily aswell, but i only burnt on my chest/stomach. My scars on the side anyway so its not really ever directly in the sun as much, its a year ago in 10 days sicne i had surgery :)