PDA

View Full Version : Lauras first surgery in Jan.

netty
11th January 2007, 01:31 PM
Happy New Year to all, and hope everyones Christmas went Well. I have n't been here for a while because of major problems with my net server!
The update on Laura is that she has an outpatients appointment with Mr Ben Taylor at the Wellington on the 18th of Jan. Her first surgery is due on the 24th and her second on the 31st of Jan. Both surgeries will now be done at the Portland hospital in London. We have been told we will be there for about 5 weeks in total.
We've booked our hotel which is about 10 mins walk from the hospital. My husband will stay with us throughout, which is brilliant!
My insurance will cover me staying with her in her hospital room but not my husband! I'll stay with her some nights and the hotel othernignts.
My son has an outpatients app with Mr Taylor on the same day.
So its all falling into place at last! It wont be so bad when we get over to England, its just this last week is hard. I think once we're caught up in the whole hospital thing we'll just go with the flow.
Netty

andrea
11th January 2007, 02:49 PM
Hi Netty

I'm really glad to hear that things are moving for you now and everything is booked so soon. Who is doing the surgery at the Portland? Does Mr T work out of there too? I haven't been there myself, but I'm sure you'll be really comfortable there and it's great that your husband can stay with you while you're there.

Good luck with the journey to England and your appointments on the 18th.

Andrea
x

mark
11th January 2007, 04:35 PM
Hi Netty

Happy new year to you too

I'm glad everythings sorted and you have your husband staying withyou 5 weeks is a long time for a family to be appart

I hope the surgery is a success and Laura has a painfree and speedy recovery as possible

Be thinking of you on the 24th and 31st of January

florence
11th January 2007, 06:03 PM
Hope all goes well. After recently spending two weeks camped at the birmingham orthopaedic hospital with Beth I know a little about where you are coming from. thank goodness it wasnt 5 weeks like you. I hope you feel able to go back to the hotel - but dont expect too much of yourself. You may simply feel you dont want to leave her. Being 10 mins or 10 hours away seems to make little difference. Your mum brain goes into overdrive and you just think about what if I'm not there. have plenty of supplies with you - and try and sleep wen she does. After 2 weeks I felt like i'd not only been in a time warp (especially as Christmas was upon us when we came out) but I was emotionally and physically drained. Don't forget that theres still a recovery process when you get home. You don't say how old Laura is. Beth is 13 and I became the target for her to vent her frustration on etc at a time when I felt quite fragile too. 5 weeks is a long time to be away from home - you will need to look after yourself too. I wish you all the best and hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Little Ali
11th January 2007, 09:55 PM
Good luck! :hug: