PDA

View Full Version : hi everyone, i'm new!

Becky
6th August 2004, 07:39 PM
Hiya everyone, my names Becky, i'm 18 and from Bolton. I was told i had scoliosis about 2 years ago. I don't really know much about it, as i'v only recently been told that I will need surgery.

It seems quite strange because to me I look really bent, but apparently I only have a 32% curvature, but i'v read that you usually only need surgery when your curve is about 40%. My curvature is at the bottom of my spine, so one of my hips stands out more, but i'v been told by my consultant that they will go in through my side and I will have a small scar under my arm.

The waiting list is 6-9 months which is quite good because it will fly by but I just want to get it over with now I know about it! I'm quite scarred because I don't really know much about it and I won't see my consultant again untill 6-8 weeks before the operation.

Anyway i'll probally keep checking out this site because it's really good!

Lots of Love Becky x x

lindzi_11
6th August 2004, 07:41 PM
Heyhey welcome! I'm lindsay and i'm turning 15 as of august 11th lol and i'm getting sugeory november 11th and i have a top curve of 57 and bottom of 31. I'm always here if you need someone to talk too and you can add me on msn if you like.

Lindzi

Kayla
6th August 2004, 08:06 PM
Welcome Becky! Hope you become a regular!

tonibunny
6th August 2004, 08:15 PM
Welcome Becky :D :welcome: Great to see you! Feel free to ask any questions you like.....single curves *can* seem a little more noticeable even if they aren't very severe, as double curves tend to balance each other out. Are you wearing a brace?

jfkimberly
6th August 2004, 08:32 PM
Hi Becky. Welcome to SSO!

BlueIce
6th August 2004, 08:41 PM
Hi Becky, welcome to SSO.
There's really no reason to be scared about your surgery. It's amazing what they can do these days. I had my surgery almost 6 weeks ago and everything went well. I had a double curve, so when I dressed in the right clothes (nothing too tight) you almost didn't notice. You can see my pictures and xrays in the gallery.

Lieve
6th August 2004, 10:33 PM
Hello Becky, welcome to SSO! :welcome2:
I have had no surgery so I can not help you with this one but I'm sure a lot of people can help you with all your questions.

BarmyArmy
6th August 2004, 10:48 PM
Hi Becky welcome to our family :wave: I hope you enjoy it here. :D

Becky
7th August 2004, 10:43 AM
Hiya everyone, aren't you all so nice! :bounce:

No I don't have to wear a brace Tonibunny, when I was 16 they didn't think it was anything serious, they said I would go for x-rays till I'm 18, and now i'm 18 and went for my last x-ray they told me that it had gone worse and that i'm too old for a brace.

Your pictures look really painfull Blueice, my scar won't be big as yours though with it only being at the bottom.

It's really helpfull to see the gallery, getting to see the before and after!

Thanks everyone!! :spin:

mark
7th August 2004, 11:04 AM
Welcome to the site licle angel you will enjoy it here everyones so friendly

BlueIce
7th August 2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by licle_angel@Aug 7 2004, 11:43 AM
Your pictures look really painfull Blueice, my scar won't be big as yours though with it only being at the bottom.
I'm not going to lie and say I didn't have any pain, but I was expecting far more pain than I've had up untill now. The pain in the hospital was the worst for me, after I got home I started taking less painkillers and I'm off them now for most of the time.
Btw, I don't feel the screws in my spine. When I was having a closer look at my xrays they freaked me out :-)

titch
7th August 2004, 11:39 AM
:welcome2:

It is a bit unusual to do surgery with a curve under 40 degrees, but if it's causing you to be badly out of balance, that may be why they're doing it. The procedure your doctor described, where they go in from the side, is called anterior surgery. Often discs are removed as part of this, as with a lumbar curve, the discs often become wedge shaped, which helps to hold the curve in place, so removing them often helps in straightening the curve :-)

If you've got any questions, we'll do our best to answer them from our own experiences. Again, welcome to SSO :D

Carly
7th August 2004, 08:16 PM
WELCOME! hope you enjoy yourself here

Kaja
7th August 2004, 08:39 PM
Welcome! I've had the anterior surgery, feel free to ask questions :-) Have fun here!

Jonny
7th August 2004, 11:10 PM
Heya Becky! :wave: I've had surgery too that included an anterior stage, so I'm also around to answer questions.

Marti
8th August 2004, 12:03 AM
Hey Becky! Welcome to the SSO family! I'm 15 and had anterior surgery about a year ago to fix my 45 degree curve. Like everyone else has said, there's nothing to worry about. Yeah, the surgery's painful, but nowhere near as you imagine it to be. anyways, welcome! Feel free to ask questions, becuase chances are someone will be able to help.

clarinetokc
8th August 2004, 07:07 AM
Hi Becky!!!! :welcome: :welcome2:

It is unusual to be considered for surgery with a 32 degree curve, I have a 50 degree curve, and they are still not sure if I really need surgery. I'm 15 and live in Oklahoma(US).

I hope you enjoy it here, I know you will!!!!

~Carrie :rox:

Pikey
8th August 2004, 09:25 AM
Hi Becky and welcome to our SSO family , which even though is getting rather large still remains really friendly . I hope you get loads of new friends here and the support you need leading up to your operation .
Have fun and take care ,Pikey.

Becky
8th August 2004, 10:40 AM
Hey iv learnt something new! So its anterior surgery, I didn't think that there would be anyone who could give me advice because everyone seems to have surgery all the way down there back, which seems so painfull!

So how big is the scar you get?
How long are you in hospital for?
How long does it take you to recover?

Thats all the questions I can think of so far but i'm sure i'll think of more.

Thank you!!

Jonny
8th August 2004, 12:02 PM
Becky, obviously it all depends on personal circumstances (...your scoliosis, you know what I mean :oops:) but my anterior scar (four lumbar vertebrae) was 8 inches long, and they seem to come a little shorter than that and rather longer than that. It's really a case of either asking your surgeon or having a look at it when you come round and the dressing's being changed.

People seem to be in for a week to ten days after an anterior I think, but I'm not sure. Obviously it is all personal - some people are bound to take far longer and far shorter. The hospital said to me they saw someone who didn't need any painkillers at all after his, and he went home after 3 days. Although, he was the only one in the country with a certain rare condition.

Recovery is really the time it takes for your vertebrae to fuse together. Again it depends on type of surgery, instrumentation, etc, but according to my pre-admission leaflet we are back to most normal activities after 6 weeks when our muscles have healed and have some strength back in them, can drive etc after 3 months (when most of the fusing's done), and after a year back to strenuous activities, sports etc.

Please don't take anything I say as word, because nothing is the same between two people, but hope that helps. Keep asking!

Marti
8th August 2004, 12:47 PM
I also had anterior surgery and I'm basically going to repeat what Jonny said, but with a few changes. My scar is longer than Jonny's... more like between 12 and 15 inches. But because it wraps around my side, if you measured straight up and down, it would probably be about 8 inches. I can wear a tankini without much of the scar showing. I can also wear low backed shirts without much showing.

I was in the hospital for six days. My roommate for the first few days had had the same surgery and was out in 4 days (but that was rare... she had to beg her doctor and it was only because she was so miserable in the hospital). And a girl at my school who had it was out in 6 days too. So, as Jonny said, it varies. I would expect to be in the hospital for 5-10 days.

It depends on what you mean by recovery. I was back in school after about two months (it would have been sooner, but i had my surgery over the summer). I was able to go to the mall for an hour or so after about 2 weeks. And I was able to sit through a movie in the theater after about a month. I'd say I started returning to normal activities like those after about 2 weeks. But the full recovery is 6 months to a year. I think I am fully recovered now, becuase I went on a bunch of rollercoasters a few days ago and had no pain. After six months I was basically back to normal except for a few weight restrictions. Oh, and like Jonny said, expect to be driving about 3 months after your surgery. However, if you don't already know how to drive, then you'll probably have to wait longer, as you are more likely to hurt your back while learning than if you already know.

I hope that helped!

BlueIce
8th August 2004, 12:53 PM
drive after three months? Yuk! I drove our car in the garage last week to try it out and it was so weird.. I was way bigger so my view was entirely different...
The other things you said are right I think. Monday will be the start of week 6 after surgery and I'm pretty much able to do most things, only with some restrictions (no lifting and stuff)

Becky
8th August 2004, 08:12 PM
I know that everyones different, and I will let you all now if it is. Its just a relief to know others have gone through a similar procedure to what i'll be having done, and everythings turned out alright. I just wanted a rough idea of what i will go through because i'v all sorts of thoughts running through my mind!

Thanx for your help! :spin:

BlueIce
8th August 2004, 09:09 PM
It's probably no use for you, but I saw a show today on "vitaya" (tv channel in belgium) about a children's hospital in toronto. There was a girl, Amanda, who had scoliosis surgery and they showed some of the surgery. After seeing that (giant pliers and stuff :-o ) the pain really is nothing compared to what you would expect from seeing that :-)

If you have more questions, feel free to ask! It's true that we are all different, but a lot of questions can be usefull for others too!

Liv
8th August 2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by BlueIce@Aug 8 2004, 09:09 PM
It's probably no use for you, but I saw a show today on "vitaya" (tv channel in belgium) about a children's hospital in toronto. There was a girl, Amanda, who had scoliosis surgery and they showed some of the surgery.
Yeah, I saw that too, a couple of months ago! Are they broadcasting it again? It's "Life's Little miracles" about the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto. :-D

Hello Becky! I'm 21 and I live in Belgium. I had anterior and posterior surgery on a 85/50 degree double curved scoliosis 5 years ago. I had both stages on the same day and I left the hospital 11 days after! :niceone:

Carly
9th August 2004, 07:26 PM
I love that show Life's Little Miracles.... it seems like such a nice hospital!