PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Vs. Adolescent Scoliosis

Round The Twist
2nd January 2007, 01:40 PM
In my preparations for Friday I have been scouring the net for information on various things so I will be well armed by the time I get to the Hosp,

Anyway, being as my DD is 9yrs old and this is when I noticed her curve, her Scoliosis would be classed as Juvenile and from what I have read can be quite aggressive.
My Scoliosis has always been classed as AIS (Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis) because it was discovered when I was 13yrs old, BUT what if is had been developing before then? Say when I was 8 or 9 like my DD? That would also make my Scoliosis Juvenile and not AIS, and might explain why my curves were quite severe at diagnosis and then developed quickly and quite agressively?

Its just my thoughts, as I may have gone on for longer without being diagnosed if my Gran hadn't have noticed a 'lump' on my back one day when she gave me a hug.....

Is there a way the docs can tell what sort of Scoliosis you have by x-ray? Or is it all about when you are first diagnosed?
For example, say you developed a Scoli curve at 13 yrs old but it was quite mild and you wre undiagnosed until you were an adult, are you then classed as having Adult Scoliosis when the curve actually developed when you were an Adolescent?

Think I am getting a bit 'deep' here but all this with my DD has really got me thinking...

Any comments or thoughts anyone?

tonibunny
2nd January 2007, 01:59 PM
It's quite possible - I'm sure there'll be plenty of people who have been diagnosed as having AIS when their scoliosis actually started before they were adolescent, and JIS when they had been presenting with scoliosis symptoms since babyhood. Quite a few of my friends here say that they had been noticing symptoms for years before they were actually diagnosed.

From what I've read, Juvenile Idiopathic Scoliosis is seen as agressive because it nearly always progresses, compared to the majority of cases of Infantile Idiopathic Scoli which start off relatively mild and then spontaneously correct (the kiddies with IIS that you see on the forums are the few that weren't so lucky).

The classification of curves isn't an exact science and doctors know this, so don't worry :-) If someone is diagnosed at 13 but their mother explains that they had noticed symptoms of scoliosis since the child was 8 or 9, for example, the doctor would be sure to take note of that.

titch
2nd January 2007, 03:54 PM
The diagnosis is generally based on the time that the curve was recognised - as toni has said, if you can say well, I knew there was something going on before that will be taken into account. It's definitely possible to go a long time undiagnosed - I was diagnosed at 15 (by my neighbour!!) and have always been written up as AIS, but as early as 7 my aunt couldn't make me skirts that would sit straight, and by the time I was 8 or so if I carried 2 bags of shopping for my mum, the left one would be dragging on the floor and the right one clearing the ground by several inches. Seems to me to be a fair bet I had the curve quite a while before it was diagnosed!

I guess the main thing really is that it gets diagnosed and monitored/treated as early as possible :-)

GillyG
2nd January 2007, 04:17 PM
I was diagnosed at 13 when having a routine chest examination by my GP, but like Titch I reckon I had problems way before then. I noticed for years that my left ribs protruded when laying in the bath and skirts never hung right on me either!
Hopefully once they have all the information to hand she should be treated in whatever way is most appropriate, regardless of what age it was picked up. Our kids are bound to be diagnosed earlier if there's a problem because we know what to look for.
Not long to wait now, I hope all goes well for you and your daughter.
Gilly xx

Amazed Jean
3rd January 2007, 06:57 AM
I thought and was told for years that I had Adolescent Scoliosis since it really didn't appear until I was 13 or 14 years old. However, two years ago whenI was at Twin City Spine and saw "the Man" - Dr. Jon Lonstein he referred to mine as Juvenile probably since it appeared long before my breasts developed and three years before I started having menstrual periods. I still don't actually know who can really put an exact name on the type of each individual's scoliosis.

gerbo
4th January 2007, 12:11 PM
I think the distinction is totally arteficial, as it is based on when it was diagnosed, and not when it developped, which in most cases we might not know. I would guess that most adolescent scoliosis started their life as juvenile scoliosis, remained minor during childhood and became more prominent during the adolescent growthspurt. Ofcourse when it is picked up in the "juvenile" phase it is bound to be more aggressive, as the dangerous growth spurt is still to come

Round The Twist
4th January 2007, 07:29 PM
I agree that at the end of the day it is not the name we call our Scoliosis that is important but the fact that we were/are diagnosed and treated in the best way possible, just sometimes the things I read get me thinking, probably a bit too much..... :-)

Mandy
6th January 2007, 05:37 AM
Hope the appointment went well for you and your daughter yesterday. Hoping to hear good news about both of you.
Mandy