PDA

View Full Version : HAS ANYONE BEEN IN THE ARTHUR COPES BRACE PROGRAM?

crkcallie
2nd December 2006, 09:08 PM
Hello everyone!
I would like to know if anyone here has been in the bracing program designed by "Doctor" Arthur Copes. I would be interested in sharing stories about him and what your success in his program was, if any.

mark
3rd December 2006, 09:43 PM
Hi Callie

Were you in Dr Copes bracing program? If you were i would be really interested in reading about your experiences and how successful you think it was

tonibunny
3rd December 2006, 10:33 PM
Copes is a fraudster and is not even a properly qualifed doctor.

If you ask on the NSF forums - as I believe you may already have done - you will find many people who have been ripped off by this man! :woe:

Here (http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/copes.html) is a link to information about him and the Copes Scoliosis Treatment Recovery System.

mark
4th December 2006, 08:23 AM
Wow what a fraudster

Thanks for the info Toni

crkcallie
5th December 2006, 04:08 AM
Yes, I was in his program. I was in it for two and a half years. On top of the scoliosis, I also have Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia, a fancy term for scar tissue in the lungs. The scar tissue cuts down lung capacity and the scoliosis compressing the organs certainly does not help the situation. I felt right from the start that I did NOT like this man in any way. He was not a people person, that's for sure. On top of that, he told my mother one time, in order to get me to wear my brace, that she should hit me. That's not all. Every time we would ask the guy about my lung condition and being in the brace, he would change the subject. That should have sent warning signs in my head. It did at one point. The man ripped off many people and he lied to everyone, including me and my family. I was under the impression that he was a real doctor, but something inside me told me that something was not right. I told my mother about this and she could not believe that he was a fraud. She was in total shock. She told me that she wished she would have listened to me when I told her that I did not like him. I had no choice. I had to go to this fraud. He is a licensed orthodist, someone who puts those inserts in your shoes to help your feet and hips. There is more information on the internet. Just type in on Google Arthur Copes and you'll get things on him.

alyssa
5th December 2006, 03:16 PM
I've never worn a back brace, what's it like? I guess you get used to it?

tonibunny
5th December 2006, 03:58 PM
I wore Milwaukee braces and body casts for the first 9 years of my life, up until I had my first surgery. I went brace and cast free for the next 8 years but had a TLSO (hard plastic corset style brace) for six months after my next surgery when I was 18.

Yes, you do get used to them, even the Milwaukees (though not many people wear those now) :-) They're not so bad. I think a lot of people worry about the prospect of getting a brace, but once they have them, they find that they're OK.

crkcallie
6th December 2006, 01:11 AM
I hated wearing my brace. I got accustomed to it after a while, but what I did not like about this brace was that I was not able to breathe very well in it. I had a friend's mother put the brace on me one time and there were two lines drawn on the straps and she tightened it to the line closest to the back of the brace, which was really tight. As a result, I became pale and felt like I could not breathe at all. I wore the brace like that for several hours, which was not good. It made my rib hump go down a lot that night, but I am so glad I am not wearing any brace anymore.

crkcallie
11th January 2007, 08:42 PM
Hey everyone,
My brother did some investigation on the Arthur Copes case and he found information about former companies and foundations Arthur Copes was the owner/founder of and whose licenses to these companies and foundations were revoked (not at the same time, of course). He owned an orthotics company and some other ones. My brother also found an article on CNN.com (don't know if it's still there) about a girl several years ago and the only thing that the Arthur Copes bracing program did for her was screw up her back. I just thought you all might find this interesting.

mark
11th January 2007, 09:52 PM
I know the article your talking about Callie. It was about a girl who wanted to be a model or a film star i can't remember which i must try and look for it sometime it was an interesting article

Found the link it was a modeling career she was looking into

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/04/06/griffin.fakedoc/

crkcallie
11th January 2007, 11:14 PM
Really? I have the article and other information that my brother discovered. He even has reports from the lawyer handling the case. It's amazing. I really could not stand this guy when I would go and see him. I just "knew" there was something wrong with the whole situation, especially with the doctor. I did not like the feelings I got off of him. He was screwy and I could sense it.