PDA

View Full Version : Lauren back home ..................

sarmstrongs
25th November 2006, 07:30 AM
Hi all Lauren is back home and doing well.
She had her surgery on the 9th nov at qmc she is amazingly straight she spent 9 hours in surgery , 4 days in icu. We had a few scares along the way she had a dural tear and we stil have to be war of any leaking fluid and have her straight back in.
Due to incidents that happened in theartre on that day lauren developed simular problems with her liver for 2 days and gave drs a scare for a few days. she went on completer bed rest for 3 days so far no signs of any leaking she is taking short steps up to date we can do 12 steps without going dizzy. She is so proud of herself. we have to go back to hospital on wednesday for a check on wound and to see how she is doing. but she taking it at a steady pace everytime she sits or goes to the loo she has to wear her cast wil update you more later just thought id drop a line to let you know all is ok . :squeeze: :niceone:

titch
25th November 2006, 12:19 PM
That's so good to hear that despite the complications Lauren is doing so well! Dural tears can be quite irritating, as although minor ones don't cause any lasting damage, as you've discovered bed rest is needed and they can cause you to develop a terrible headache which also makes it necessary to stay flat or only very slightly tilted.

Even so, it sounds like she's doing very well and should be bouncing back nice and fast now that she's able to start getting around :-) Send her hugs from all of us here at SSo, and I look forward to the next update!

titch

sins
26th November 2006, 06:59 PM
Hiya,
it's great to hear lauren is home and doing well.For such a complicated surgery, it's wonderful that she's come through with such minor complications.I hope she's pleased with the result and no doubt looking straighter will do wonders for her confidence.
keep us updated on her recovery.
Sins

Little Ali
26th November 2006, 09:31 PM
Congratulations on Lauren being back home and doing well!

Here's to a continued speedy recovery!

:hug: :niceone:

Mandy
26th November 2006, 10:12 PM
Glad to hear that Lauren is home and doing better now. Hopefully things will go smoothly from here on out!!! Wishing her a speedy recovery :D.

newgirl
26th November 2006, 11:22 PM
That is great news, thanks for the update.
N

ScoliJess
26th November 2006, 11:45 PM
Thats really good to hear, glad she's doing well after surgery.

Wishing her a speedy recovery!

Be sure to keep us updated!

mark
27th November 2006, 11:58 PM
Hi, i'm glad to read Lauren is home and doing well, sorry to read about the problems she had.

I hope her recovery is as pain free as possible and she is up and around in no time.

sarmstrongs
29th November 2006, 10:24 PM
Lauren went to qmc for a check up with her surgen. He is pleased with her progress no signs of any leaks she has to go back again next wednesday for a repeat check up. the wounds are healing well and her walking has improved greatly she is doing really well and has picked up no end. Asking loads of questions about what happened etc still cant get used to how straight she is and that everything is imn a diffferent position her balance is good still hasnt got used to wearing her cast . But understands why she starts getting her home tutor next monday for a hour a day the sad thing about her being at home is that she thinks she can go back to old lauren as she feels better even though we keep telling her oputside she may feel ok but inside takes a longer time to heal and to slow down dont rush. She has managed the stairs to the top so last night i slept for the first time in weeks in my own bed it was wonderful. Lauren went to her bed too and had a good night we were both much more refreshed this morning. We are still waiting for her wheelchair to arrive then we can venture out of the house and hit the shops.................

netty
30th November 2006, 01:03 PM
Hi, glad to hear all going well now, and the surgery was such a success. Netty

conni60640@gmail.com
3rd December 2006, 03:12 AM
Great news, although sorry you guys had such a scare! I can relate to the recovery part, my son just had a fusion in August, and it took a bit of getting used to everything before he was up and about walking...

I'm still a nervous wreck thinking about him getting back to normal activities and possibly disturbing the fusion, haha. He is out of the cast and in a TLSO brace to protect him from too much movement, although that will be coming off in three weeks...

Hang in there and your daughter will do well!

sarmstrongs
8th December 2006, 10:16 AM
:welcome2:

Hi All
Lauren has to go again next wednesday for another check up.
That will be 3 weeks in a row. From what they were saying when we went this week it seems as if she was let out too soon. Although she is doing good they are concerned of further possible leaking and as she dosnt seem to be showing signs of discomfort or pins and needles etc she has had a few headaches over the last couple of weekswhich they are keeping there eyes on. They seem to feel lauren isnt telling them all as we were told that the op she had carried so many risks the leaking has stoped but they have put on dressing again in that area as they are concerned about the healing process. She hasnt complained of anything and maybe if she is in any pain its a fear of going back in thats stopping her from telling us. S o for the time being we are having weekly visits.
We are still stranded in the house we were booked a wheel chair that she can use as public transport is out of the question but as too date we still havent recieved so on wednesday the hospital were chasing that up so fingers crossed it will come anytime then our outside world will be more than home and hospital we have trimmed up the christmas tree which was fun and sang a few christmas songs like you do.
Now her worry is will we be able to get presents from the shops
bless her
but thankyou online shops because without i would have been at a loss these last few weeks.
HOPE YOU ARE ALL IN THE CHRISTMAS SPIRIT AND GETTING READY FOR ALL THAT FUN ;-)

netty
8th December 2006, 11:03 AM
Hi, gosh you really have been in the wars! It most have been so worrying for you when they said that she had been discharged too soon. They seem to be keeping a good eye on her now though with check ups etc. I hope she continues to improve and that you manage to stay sane through it all! Hope the next couple of weeks will be worry free for you all, best wishes, Netty

titch
8th December 2006, 12:06 PM
I think perhaps - as to how things have felt after my surgeries - it's not even necessarily a fear of going back in so much as just that what you're feeling doesn't seem important compared to what you've been through, if that makes any sense? Also, while on painkillers, reactions to things in terms of how you think about them can be quite different than they would ordinarily be, so they may be right that they're not getting the whole story and yet not because Lauren is being in any way evasive or awkward or even scared.

It's also entirely possible the headaches are just part of the healing process by which I mean that muscle tension and the like from the change in posture and the effects of healing can give you headaches initially. The good thing is that they're keeping a close eye on it all, so although it must be stressful going to the hospital so often, at least you know that nothing will be missed.

A suggestion for you, as it's something I'd never heard of until my mother told me about it, is to try contacting your local Red Cross and see if there is anything they can do to help. My godfather recently went down to stay with my parents, and he's needing a hip replacement so cannot safely get into and out of the shower or stand for very long and also has trouble getting on and off the toilet. Apparently they were able to borrow a bath seat and a set of bars with a seat raiser for the toilet, and made a small donation for the loan. I know you should be getting stuff for free from occupational health, but if they're being awkward about it (and some of them really are - mine wanted to put me on the standard waiting list for a bath seat, which would have meant 6 weeks til assessment, 8 for delivery!! the district nurse waded in and told them exactly what I needed and that it was an emergency ;-) so I was lucky), this is just a thought in case it can help :-)

sarmstrongs
13th December 2006, 06:23 PM
:party: :welcome:

Laurens appointment went well today we got there at 10.30 for our 11am appointment on the ward. We couldnt go in the childrens bay as it was out of bounds due to flooding.
We got seen by consultant at 12.05 and were on our way home by 12.07 he looked at her back femoved her dressing and said see her in clinic in january.

I didnt even get chance to ask any questions or tell him about the problems we had had during the last week.
On sunday lauren woke and couldnt move her left leg at all after a hour of trying to get her up into sitting position feeling began to come back into her legs. I put it down to her laying funny during the night. It hasnt happened since and on phoning the local dr after we had got her sorted to see if wed done the right thing we were told to consult her surgeon when she went today but everything moved so qwuick when he turned up and went he spent less than 2 mins with us. I have tried to phone but as we all know this can be sometimes near impossible to get a answer. Any body else had numbness in legs after surgery like lauren?

ScoliJess
13th December 2006, 09:49 PM
I had a bit of numbness in my legs after surgery, however check out this thread:

http://www.scoliosis-support.org/modules/i...&showtopic=3704 (http://www.scoliosis-support.org/modules/ipboard/index.php?s=&showtopic=3704)

hope that link works (its to the 'quick question' thread in the General Discussions Forum). There is a discussion going on there about numbness people have experienced, which may be of use to you.

I would phone up the surgeons secretary though if you are really concerned and perhaps ask if you can speak to him even if it's over the phone, to get some reassurance. I

crkcallie
19th December 2006, 03:31 AM
I'm happy to hear she's back home.

sarmstrongs
16th January 2007, 09:21 AM
Update on Lauren.
She is doing really well now she went back to hospital last monday and we were told she can return to school in 4 weeks but first 2 weeks part time.
She is almost back to her old self on the outside.
She faces minor surgery when she is around 18 to correct her rib hump but no more major surgery in the near future,
Thankyou once again for all your support over the years
wishing you all the best in 2007

titch
16th January 2007, 03:23 PM
That's fantastic to hear that she's doing so well :-) I'm sure getting back to school and back into the routine of life will help her continue to recover even better. Here's to a bright 2007!

sarmstrongs
22nd January 2007, 03:03 PM
Lauren back at school on 5th feb only doing 3 days first week 3 2nd week then full time after half term.
poor girl has coime down with a nasty cough today but stil doing excellent

ELLA22
22nd January 2007, 03:24 PM
Hello sarmstrongs
I'm new to the forum and have been reading about Lauren as my 3 year old daughter Cerys is being seen at QMC under Dr Freeman. We have so far been in for 1 appointment and then later for a ct scan and finally an mri. We just recieved a letter saying they will see us in March for more plain x-rays (assuming for comparison). I just wondered if you could tell me how long you waited from referal to surgery. We have been told that surgery is the only option and just wondered how quickly they tend to move things along. Also could you tell me if you can stay on the ward overnight?.
Good to hear that Lauren is doing so well
Ella x

titch
22nd January 2007, 03:25 PM
I'm glad to hear that Lauren will be back at school soon - getting back into a proper routine really helps the recovery after a certain point, and it's just so good to feel that things are back to normal :-)

Sorry to hear she has the cough though - I remember sneezing and coughing after my revision very well, it's not too comfortable to start with!

GillyG
22nd January 2007, 11:04 PM
That's great news to hear your daughter will be back at school in early Feb - is she looking forward to it?

It sounds like she's had a rough time of it, you must be very relieved to be over the initial recovery period at last.

I hope she continues to go from strength to strength :-)

Gilly x

sarmstrongs
5th March 2007, 12:25 PM
Lauren has just done her first full week back at school She is doing well and lapping up all the extra attention. She dosnt have to wear the full tie blazer uniform and goes in her school track suit which suits her down to the ground. Iwas very worried after 3 months off with only 5 hrs a week schooling how she would cope but she taken to it like a duck out of water and on sat went to the cinema with her friend i was at a loss but she got a buzz from it and its given hher some of her independancy back.
We go back to queens on 12th march to see how everything is going fingers crossed all is as well as it seems

titch
5th March 2007, 01:20 PM
That's great news! Hopefully her recovery will continue in leaps and bounds now :-)

ELLA22
5th March 2007, 02:42 PM
Hi
It's great to hear that Lauren is doing so well and is back at school. How long has she been off altogether? I bet you're feeling lost now! We are at QMC on the 12th March too for Cerys 2nd appointment. I'm worrying already! What time is your appt? I think that we are 10.30 but have got to have x-rays too. Got the usual expect to be in the department for 2-3 hrs note. I'm hoping that Dr Freeman is in the clinic as we've not seen him yet.
If you see a very cheeky 3 yrs old causing chaos that'll be Cerys! so say hello. It'd be nice to put a face to the name!
Love Ella

sarmstrongs
15th March 2007, 12:24 AM
Hi Lauren appointment went really well she no longer has to wear her cast and her next appointment is in 6 months he is really pleased with her progress.
In answer to ella questions
Lauren has been off school for 3 months in total she has now done 3 full weeks at school and loving it.
Sorry i didnt reply sooner our appointment was at 2.30 but we always go 30 mins earlier to get xrays out the way gives us a bit longer with the consultant i always think dosnt always happen but then it usually means you get seen around the time your down for but it was very busy never seen so many we didnt get seen till 4 ish i did see dr freeman he said hi to lauren.
She got to see her xrays and its the first wed seen of her rodding etc. she said mum look me back looks like a metal work lessons store room it was quite impressive.
she has 2 very long rods whole spine and about 20 screws cos she had to count them. they had taken out the rod from her previous op but she is still a lot straighter she just wants to grow now her body is changing as does at 12/13 which i am very pleased about as one of her main worrys were that she wouldnt get boobs etc but looking good all round she just wants to be taller but thats something we were told my not happen and as she is the average hight of a 7 yr old she will be lucky with 4 inch more. but she is aware that there are many adults a lot smaller than she is now and same as i say you come through so much and surprised everyone count your blessing who knows what the future holds take it one day at a time.
How did you get on with dr freeman?
Hope all went well