PDA

View Full Version : accupuncture

Joy
5th August 2004, 05:15 AM
I saw my physio yesterday and she said something about maybe doing accupuncture type things... I'm not normally afraid of needles but .... lots of them in my back?? my back! *gulps*

If it worked, I'd be willing to try it. My shoulders are really bugging me and I'm tired of being in constant pain but the idea of needles in my back is not comforting.

Has anyone else tried this before?

Carly
5th August 2004, 05:17 AM
Yes my physio guy tried it and bot did it work! Totally released the tension and no more pain. I do admit that it was scary and sometimes hurts but not as much as you think it does. It only hurts when the muscles tighten up so remember to relax and try to to laugh. I did that numerous times and it is more painful that way. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Blair
5th August 2004, 05:18 AM
Yipes. My mom wanted me to try accupuncture in the worst way back when I was first diagnosed. But I just couldn't stand the idea of all the stickage of needles.... Bleh

You might see if maybe you can find a practitioner of accupressure instead. It uses the same principles, just not using needles.... I've heard that it's not quite as effective (since the needls are able to hit trigger points more accurately than a finger pressing on the area would, or something like that) but it might work fine for you if the needles make you squeamish....

jfkimberly
5th August 2004, 07:30 AM
After two ABGs in 12 hours, I'm a bit shy of needles at the moment. I know it's not the same thing at all, but I'm coming back from a bad night.

Joy
5th August 2004, 06:25 PM
Well I'm supposed to stay witht he physio lady because she has lots of experience with fusions. I'm not normally afraid of needles, it's the back part that makes me nervous. But if it worked for you, Carly, then maybe I will try it.

Carly
5th August 2004, 08:15 PM
Just remain calm and remain positive.... good luck!

Kayla
5th August 2004, 08:33 PM
Julianne also is doing accupuncture might wanna ask her

Carly
5th August 2004, 08:34 PM
Where did Julianne go?

Kayla
5th August 2004, 09:21 PM
nowhere she just doesnt post here much shes in a lot of pain ask Toni she knows more about it

Carly
5th August 2004, 11:52 PM
Toni?? LOL

julianne
6th August 2004, 03:29 AM
Heyy!
Kayla pointed me over here.

Acupuncture is... odd. It has a lot to do with the chinese theories of how the body works. Basically, they believe the body has channels of energy, and they all affect how each part of the body works. What my acupuncturist did (for my lower back pain) was put two needles in each of my hands, one by the thumb and another by my pinky. Then she put two in each foot, one by my heel and the other on the outer-side. Supposedly, she was connecting into a channel that affects my lower back. I just had to lie there for 15 minutes and "relax". Surprisingly enough, it actually did calm the pain slightly, but when I went back for my second treatment, it didn't work. So she tried to put needles in other positions on my arms & legs, and still got no response. Because of my amount of pain, and the sensitivity of my back (three surgeries = a lot of numbness and crazy things going on. I don't let people touch it, let alone stick needles in it), she never put needles in my back. I went back for a third and fourth treatment (on the fourth one she put needles in my ears... that was odd), and still no go. We gave up on that, however I have met quite a few people who acupuncture has worked for them.

The actual treatment? Is incredibly simple and painless. I was totally freaked out for my first appt, because I'm not exactly a needle-fan (who is?). I thought, like most people, that she'd be putting needles directly in my back, but she told me that she could "channel" the energy using spots elsewhere. It feels a little odd. I've heard the mysquito-bite example a few times, but I don't think that really matches it for me. It's more like a buzz in your skin, although that likely sounds really really weird. The needles? Are so tiny. If you've ever had your ears pierced (I actually haven't, but I've heard it hurts a lot), it's nothing like that. Remember, I actually had the needles in my ears (three of them in each ear... ick), and the only time I felt it was on the really sensitive part near my actual ear-hole (that is so not a real term, lmao). Oddly enough, I found the worst part of the treatment to be this incense smell my doctor has, I think it's some sort of anti-biotic because of the needles, but my god, it was disgusting. So if a smell is worse than the needles? You've got nothing to worry about.

If you do end up going to the treatments, just remember that it's totally normal to be scared. I cried before she put them in, which is odd for me because I hardly ever cry. The idea of having needles poked in you is just a frightening thing, although you'll likely realise you have nothing to be scared about by the time the treatment's over.

If you have any questions, just ask. :)

Carly
6th August 2004, 04:14 AM
YEAH JULIANNE IS BACK!!

Joy
6th August 2004, 05:51 AM
No, she wants to put them in my back. The stuff she does is based on physiology, not energy. She says she puts them at the points where they attach, or something like that. But thanks for the reassurance. Glad you're back. I hope your pain gets better... are they doing anything at all?

julianne
6th August 2004, 08:52 PM
Really? Odd. I guess there's a bunch of different ways to go by it.

About my pain, I've just been going to hundreds of treatments & appts in the best 3 months. Nothing's worked so far, but I'm still looking.

Joy
6th August 2004, 10:16 PM
*hugs* I'm sorry...

It's called EMS or something. Like modern medicine's version of accupuncture. To stimulate the muscles.

julianne
6th August 2004, 11:35 PM
Oh yes, I've heard of that. I'm scheduled to go downtown to someone who does that in mid-August. Let me know how it goes, sounds very interesting.

Joy
7th August 2004, 01:40 AM
Well you'll know before me... I don't go back until the 31st. Which gives me lots of time to think.

Carly
7th August 2004, 06:59 PM
I got mine in my back and shoulder.... just where the tension was

Joy
1st September 2004, 02:22 AM
I went to physio today and she tried the accupuncture thing. She only used three needles. :) But it didn't really do anything. My shoulders still hurts really badly and my muscles are still very cramped. And she said that I'll probably have problems with my necka nd shoulders the rest of my life. :(

jfkimberly
1st September 2004, 08:25 AM
Aww, Joy... that's not very encouraging news. Did she do anything else when the accupuncture didn't work? Did you get any relief today?

Abbi
1st September 2004, 11:49 AM
Hey Joy, I'm sorry it didnt go well....I had accpunture, it wasn't sore, she only used one neddle, and I am not really scared of them anyways!
I really hope your back gets better hun! I will be thinking and praying for you. :squeeze:

Joy
1st September 2004, 11:58 PM
:( No. I'm feeling very discouraged at the moment. I'll be more cheerful in a few days. She gave me some exercises but those aren't really for my shoulders.