PDA

View Full Version : Workstation Chairs

andyw
14th November 2006, 12:05 PM
Can anyone recommend a good chair to use when operating a computer for a long time? I have looked around and seen prices between £300 and £1500. Some companies 'claiming' to be ergonomic chair, when really they are not. Have followed the usual instructions on posture, but no matter what i do after about 3 hours i am in agony. I use a computer for between 10-12 hours a day with work and want to find a good chair that can help.

titch
14th November 2006, 12:30 PM
I've got an RH Logic 4 at work, which they provided me when it became clear that the silly little chair I had was quite literally crippling me. Here's a link: http://www.rhform.com/Templates/Product1.a...43-dcb8d7206255 (http://www.rhform.com/Templates/Product1.aspx?PageID=a7c8e841-cf66-4ba1-b343-dcb8d7206255) If I was buying one for myself now, or getting a new one through work, I think I'd try for an RH 400 24hr: http://www.rhform.com/Templates/Product1.a...52-dbade0f538da (http://www.rhform.com/Templates/Product1.aspx?PageID=faa6ba1a-9027-4b33-9e52-dbade0f538da) It has slightly deeper padding, as the one complaint I have with the RH4 is it's very firm. Either that or I'd try to get the memory foam seat as an option (it's not listed on the site there, but does appear at the places selling them in the UK).

It's got just about every adjustment you could possibly need - the back tilts independently, then you can adjust the tilt of the whole seat, the seat can be pushed forward or backward for different leg lengths (this was the biggest problem I had, 36" legs and crippled by the chairs we had which provided no thigh support), the back goes up and down, the arms can be adjusted for width as well as height, and there's a pumpable lumbar support. The chair literally made all the difference between being able to work and not for me.

I find I cannot follow the standard instructions on posture, as they cause me a great deal of pain. Particularly I cannot follow the main one which is that when viewed in profile your rear should be higher than your knees - doesn't work for me and in fact will tend to give me crippling sciatica. Before revision the only thing that worked was to have my knees higher than my rear, and since I have them level.

tonibunny
14th November 2006, 12:44 PM
I'm afraid I can't recommend anything yet, but my company are in the process of obtaining a special workstation chair for me, on the advice of their medical insurance people. I mostly work from home, so they sent an occupational therapist round last week to assess my workstation. She took lots of measurements and said that they may well have a bespoke chair made for me, if they can't find something that would suit me!

Remember that ordinary "ergonomic chairs" are designed for people without scoliosis/kyphosis, so it's not surprising that we don't find them comfy!

I'll let you know what they come up with......I can't wait, I'm also finding it very painful to sit in front of my computer all day, so I really sympathise!!! I'm currently having to use a dining chair with a wedge shaped cushion on it, it's horribly uncomfortable.

andyw
14th November 2006, 01:10 PM
Thanks for your replies. I have had a look at that website, the chairs look good, will probably look into the RH400 a bit more, might visit them ad give it a try. The memory foam option sounds good, I have a memory foam bed and itís so comfy :niceone: . I bought a tempur seat wedge and lumbar supports for the chair I am using now, but they donít work very well, so need to consider a very good chair.

How did you get your work to spend so much money on a chair?

Itís interesting what you said about the occupational therapist, I might see if I can go the same. Was looking into finding a agronomist to do an evaluation on my workstation at home (I also work from home), but that could be expensive.

Itís true what you said about ergonomic chairs, they definitely donít fit us! :-)

titch
14th November 2006, 01:16 PM
I honestly think most so-called ergonomic chairs fail to fit most people with normal backs!!

As to how I got work to do it, I got a workstation assessment from the health and safety person we had at the time, and she recommended it. They got a certain amount of money back from the government, but I don't have the figures to hand for how they work it out. I'm considering (now that I have a rather pro-active new department head) pursuing trying to get them to provide me a chair to use at home as well, given that I work at home at least 2 days per week - and those 2 days as far as I am aware come under "reasonable adjustment" as defined by the Disability Discrimination Act (I just wouldn't be able to work full time in the office). Of course trying to persuade HR that anything at all about my back comes under reasonable adjustment is proving an uphill battle. I'll try to hunt those figures out for you though.

Meanwhile, I'd say ask Chele (Thaleias spirit) what can happen when they do you a supposedly made to measure chair :idiot:

andyw
14th November 2006, 01:24 PM
If you do have those figures it would be great!

The company i am with has only just started and i am the first employee. We have no business premises so i work from home at the moment. My boss is great and he knows about my scoliosis (although he doesn't know much about it), so he would probably be very open to the idea of getting it through the business and claiming some money back from the government.

I have also heard some bad stories about made to measure chairs! :nut:

titch
14th November 2006, 01:35 PM
http://www.direct.gov.uk/DisabledPeople/Em...0347&chk=Pq8ETE (http://www.direct.gov.uk/DisabledPeople/Employment/WorkSchemesAndProgrammes/WorkSchemesArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4000347&chk=Pq8ETE)

There you go - if you've been in the job less than 6 weeks, it potentially covers the whole cost, if not your employer pays the first £300, then 20% up to a ceiling of £10,000. It's certainly better than nothing, and is of course a better deal on more expensive equipment ;-)

andyw
14th November 2006, 01:42 PM
Thats excellent, thats so much. thats made me so happy!!! :squeeze:

Will get on to that straight away! :P

Oh, one thought, i am not registered disabled!

andyw
14th November 2006, 01:49 PM
Well, i'm off to see the Disability Employment Adviser at the jobcentre now, to try and see if i can get any help!

titch
14th November 2006, 02:22 PM
I don't think you have to be - in actual fact, "registered disabled" doesn't exist anymore and hasn't since 1995, despite that application forms still ask if you are, and it's the first question asked if you want a disability ticket for something like the London Eye.

It's something that really winds me up actually - with the Eye for example, queues can be immense, and I just can't stand for that long, so it's not a question of wanting the discount but rather that I need to skip the queue if I'm to be able to do it at all. As it happens, they made an exception for me so I was allowed to the head of the queue, but paid the full price which I was perfectly happy with.

There did used to be a register, which you could get onto - the intention was that it would protect you while on benefits for example, by supporting that while you were not eligible for Incapacity Benefit (or the incapacity component of Income Support) or Disability Living Allowance, you did have restrictions which could among other things affect the kind of work that you were able to take on. After my first surgery, having discovered that I just couldn't stand for long and of course being limited in the amount of lifting I could do, I wanted to get on the register. I was advised - by the DEA - not to as it was being updated and changes to it could in future compromise my ability to get certain jobs. In the end it was clear they weren't going to allow me, and then in fact the update was to abolish it. A couple of years later, having still failed to get a job (bearing in mind that a main source of local employment had collapsed during that time and there was in excess of 50% unemployment in the town at one point) I had the hatchet woman set on me to try to prove I wasn't trying. She kept demanding to know how I could prove I wasn't malingering when I said that I'd need to be allowed to sit for checkout work etc when I wasn't registered disabled!!

That said, the Disability Discrimination Act is supposed to cover things a lot better now, and I shouldn't think that you're likely to have too much trouble getting the funds for the chair, especially as you can say that in the longer term it is likely to become a matter of maintaining your ability to work and is not just a comfort issue. Let us know how it goes!

Phil
14th November 2006, 02:33 PM
Cant offer any advice on the chair but my employer covers me under the Disability Discrimination Act. I can if reqiured have any equiptment to make my working life better if it does not effect my ability to carry out my 'normal' tasks.

andyw
14th November 2006, 04:40 PM
Just got back from the Job CentreÖ it went quite well.

I went and asked if I could see the DEA, I was asked if I was on benefits, I told them I wasnít to which they replied ďsorry, if your not on benefits you canít see herĒ. I explained my reasons for wanting to see her and I was taken to see someone else who again told me I couldnít see her because I wasnít and never have claimed benefits! Now this confused meÖ so I argued (a lot) and got to see her. Once I explained to the DEA the situation, she gave me the number of the Access to Work Business Centre and that was itÖ. Some people just like to make things harder than they need to be!

I phoned the Access to Work Business Centre, and they are sending me an application to have my workstation assessed. I started my new job 6 weeks ago today, so might miss out on the 100% grant. I am worried that whoever does the assesment will just advice to get a chair, but not the one I want!

Anyway, itís a huge step in the right direction, many thanks :spin:

Vicki
14th November 2006, 09:40 PM
I swear I'd underestimated the importance of a good chair until this year. We have new desk chairs in our rooms (shared student house), and obviously they're cheap ones as they're provided by the landlord. All three of my (non-scoliosis) housemates have started complaining of back pains from sitting in them for extended periods of time, I'm rather glad I tend to sit "backwards" on mine (so unladylike, heh) and write most of my coursework lying on my bed with a laptop.

Little Ali
15th November 2006, 03:55 PM
Get this! Isn't it cool?! :rox: :jump: :bounce: http://www.gerald-simonds.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh...2dPLE#aGS_2dPLE (http://www.gerald-simonds.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000002.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2egerald%2dsi monds%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fManufacturers%2ehtml&WD=lift&SHOP=%20&PN=Products_Elevating_9%2ehtml%23aGS_2dPLE#aGS_2dP LE)

Thaleias spirit
15th November 2006, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by titch@Nov 14 2006, 02:16 PM
Meanwhile, I'd say ask Chele (Thaleias spirit) what can happen when they do you a supposedly made to measure chair
gosh, dont remind me about it!!

Andy,our department at work arranged for each of us to be assessed at our workstations. i was one of the last to be done and I bsically made him work for his fees! Each suggestion he had I gave a reason why it would not work (I was only 4'3). he aid he would have to go away and think about how to change my desk/chair but he never came back with a solution. My physio however reffered me to a group that could assess me. The chair cost neary Ä1700 and work paid for it (I think they were able to claim back on a bit of it too).

The chair was not very comfortable and all these levers etc. The best part was the footrest that was actually attached to the chair, I could reach that better than a stand-alone one. However, and I really dont know why or whose bright idea it was, but they also attached straps to the chair so I could strap myself in (for fear I would fall out) and attached another bar that a table could be laid arcosee the chair. No bear in mind I work at a desk and I am perfectly capable of walking around and do not need to be strapped down. Go figure :nutter:

(If I thought I'd get away with it, the chair would end up on a trash heap somewhere ... )

You may be better off shopping around and trying the chairs out, so many now have levers to adjust various parts of the chair and at least you can tell straight away if it will be of any benefit to you.

mark
3rd December 2006, 09:46 PM
Hi Andy

here is a link to toni's most recent post on the the chair was describing in her post above

http://www.scoliosis-support.org/modules/i...&showtopic=3655 (http://www.scoliosis-support.org/modules/ipboard/index.php?s=&showtopic=3655)