PDA

View Full Version : new here, baby boy 18 months in POP cast

Lisa Harvey
18th October 2006, 11:27 PM
Hi guys. found this website via an American one, but am living in Norfolk England. My little boy Daniel has been in a cast/brace since he was 3 months. Would love to hear from anyone with any similar experiences. He hasn't managed to crawl or sit up as he had his brace from such a young age. He is quite okay with it though, but I'm not.

He is in a plaster cast now (since June) that is changed every 3 months. I find life sometimes so hard with it all. He is a brave little thing though and gives me lots of strength and encouragement to go on!

anyway, nice to say 'hello'

Lisa and Daniel x x :-)

Amazed Jean
19th October 2006, 04:56 AM
Lisa and Daniel welcome to SSO. There are people here who have young children and should be able to talk to you about their similar stories. I am unfortunately to at point that at 55 years old the doctors don't think I can be helped in the spine department because my lungs are so compromised its too risky. I will encourage you to keep excellant records and try to get copies of xrays etc. Also, you should get a notebook and write down questions you have as they come up so you can take it with you to see doctors. You are the best cartaker of your child's records. Trust me on this - hospitals, doctors, labs lose patient records all the time. Hang in there !

mark
19th October 2006, 10:12 AM
Hi Lisa

Welcome to SSO

I'm sorry to read about the start your son has had to life. Hopefully the casting will work and your son won't need surgery.

I hope you get all the support you need from this site where a friendly and knowlegable bunch. If you have any questions there is usually someone here who can help.

take care

mark

sins
19th October 2006, 11:39 AM
Hi Lisa and welcome.
There are a number of UK/Irish people here with experience of casting and braces for infants. You're certainly in the right place.How is the casting working out for your little boy?
Sins

andrea
19th October 2006, 01:23 PM
Hi Lisa, welcome to SSO. I haven't got long now as I have to take my daughter to nursery, but i thought i'd say hi. You don't get to meet many mums in the same position as us, so while you don't wish it upon anyone else, it's nice to meet others going through the same thing.

Erin is 4 and has been in a cast since she was 20 months old. Unfortunately it's not working particularly well for us and surgery in the not too distant future is likely. There are many success stories out there though, so don't be disheartened by ours. Our cast has certainly prevented the curve from getting worse!

Where are you being treated? I know how hard it is, but it does get better. We're on our 12th cast now, and hospital visits are part of the norm. The only thing Erin can't do is put her socks on, but she'll give absolutely everything else a go.

Anyway, must dash. Hopefully speak to you later
Andrea
xx

tonibunny
19th October 2006, 02:27 PM
Hi Lisa, welcome :welcome2:

I'm 31 now but I spent my childhood wearing plaster casts. I was diagnosed with scoliosis as a baby and the casts and braces that I wore were able to hold my spine to the curves didn't get worse, and I finally had surgery when I was ten.

It's great that they have cast Daniel so early on in his life, as an infant's bones are so soft there is a great chance that the casts and braces will improve his curvature. How old is he now? Please try not to worry about how he feels in the casts, they're very comfortable really!

Toni xx

newgirl
19th October 2006, 03:53 PM
Hi Lisa and welcome to SSO
My little girl is 3 and although she is currently out of cast she has had a cast or brace since she was 18 months and will be back in a brace in 2 weeks time.

It is hard for the parents, I found that I spent a lot of time grieving over the limitations that being in a cast or brace would place on Niamh, she on the other hand just got on with it and didn't let it stop her doing much. :joke:

It is funny how used they become to it and the adjustments that they make themselves in how to do things. Niamh was already walking when she was put in her first cast so I have so experience in whether being in a cast will affect sitting, crawling walking etc but I am sure that your hospital would advise regarding physio or exercises if they are necessary.
There is very little that Niamh couldn't do in some fashion whilst in her cast, it just may have taken a bit longer for her to do things.

What age is Daniel now?
Nicola

Abbi
19th October 2006, 05:27 PM
Hi Lisa! :welcome2: I think I have maybe "met" you on Spinekids??

Sorry to hear of the circumstances that brought you to SSO, but you can be sure you'll get a load of support!

:squeeze:

Abbi