PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Brace

angelsfan
2nd August 2004, 04:10 PM
Hi, my name is Brian, I'm from scoliosis life to see how this one is? I've been in my milwaukee brace now for 5 1/2 months. just wanted to say hi

tonibunny
2nd August 2004, 04:27 PM
Welcome Brian! I wore a Milwaukee brace from the age of about 3 until I was 10 - that was in the early 80s though, it seems like it's quite unusual to be wearing a Milwaukee these days! There's a photo of me as a kiddie wearing the brace if you look.

How are you getting on with it? Whereabouts in the world are you, and how long have you had scoliosis for? Will you need surgery? Do stick around, we're very friendly here :D

floralgypsy
2nd August 2004, 04:31 PM
Welcome to SSO, Brian, I never had a brace prior to surgery so I can only try and understand how it feels to be wearing a Milwaukee. Don't feel isolated though, there are quite a range of experiences shared on this site just like Slife, so if you have any questions please ask and we will endeavour to help you.
:welcome:

Jonny
2nd August 2004, 04:33 PM
Heya Brian :wave: welcome! I wore my pre-op TLSO for a year and now I've got a post-op one to wear for 3 months. Glad you found us!

Kaja
2nd August 2004, 04:47 PM
:welcome2:
I haven't worn a brace either, but do stick around to tell us more about yourself :D

sins
2nd August 2004, 04:55 PM
Hi Brian and welcome,
I wore an old style Milwaulkee in the late 70's (showing my age a bit) :-D In those days they were very difficult to wear and bracing for scoliosis was a very hit and miss affair compared to how it is now.
Milwaulkees can get good results for upper thoracic curves. How do you find wearing yours?I guess the same problems exist nowadays as they did in my time.....hot in summer and pressure on the waist and hip area.
I think a few around here have worn the newer style milwaulkees....it's peak holiday season and lots of us are away and just arriving back so let's see who has similar experiences.Nice of you to drop by and hope you stick around a bit. :welcome:

Carly
2nd August 2004, 04:58 PM
Welcome Brian.. I wore a TLSO (Boston Brace for just under a year) I want very goo d about wearing it but I hope you are becaseu they do help! Gald you found us!

Lieve
2nd August 2004, 05:14 PM
Welcome to SSO, Brian! :welcome:

BlueIce
2nd August 2004, 09:06 PM
Welcome! I was meant to wear a brace but I didn't, but I suppose I would have ended up with surgery anyway. I'm 19 and my surgery was 5 weeks ago.

Kayla
2nd August 2004, 09:14 PM
hey Brian! Welcome to SSO I wore a Boston brace so dont know much about yours but best of luck!

Kathryn
2nd August 2004, 09:22 PM
Hey Brian! I'm also wearing a milwaukee brace and i've had it for 6 months now...sounds like we started at about the same time. Hope you're doin ok!

tonibunny
2nd August 2004, 09:23 PM
Hey, another newbie!!! WELCOME KATHRYN!!!!! :D

:welcome:

I'm glad you've found us! How are you finding your Milwaukee? Tell us about yourself (I'll start a new thread for you!)

mark
2nd August 2004, 09:27 PM
WWelcome Kathryn and Brian hope you enjoy the site its SSO friendly

jfkimberly
2nd August 2004, 09:38 PM
Hi Brian! Welcome to SSO! I really hope you stick around. The poor guys are so outnumbered on this site. *grin*

I have congenital scoliosis, and it was pretty severe so I had surgery as an infant. I didn't have to wear a brace when I was a teen (but I did have body casts both before and after my surgery). How are you doing with your brace?

BarmyArmy
2nd August 2004, 09:39 PM
Hi there Brian, welcome to the site :wave:

I'm sorry but I've never had a brace so I can't pass along any wise words :ph34r:
I'm guessing the Angels in the your username refers to the baseball team, I'm a D-backs fan and my boyfriend supports the Cubs.

I hope you enjoy being a member here :D

clarinetokc
4th August 2004, 06:09 AM
Hi Brian, welcome! Sorry I'm late, I've been gone on vacation!!! Now I'm in a manditory summer band class (6 hour practices a day) ugh! so I haven't really had time to check up on things. Anyway, I'm 15, and I'm from Oklahoma, USA, I will have surgery sometime early next year.

~Carrie

lindzi_11
4th August 2004, 04:48 PM
Hey welcome! :niceone:

Marti
4th August 2004, 11:08 PM
Welcome Brian!

Joy
5th August 2004, 05:05 AM
Welcome!! Hope you're getting along OK with your brace. I never wore one.

Pikey
8th August 2004, 03:47 PM
Hi Brian and welcome along .I had a Milwaulkee brace from 1969 until 1977 .I used to play football in the playground as a kid with it on , you really do get used to them after a while .It was very strange after 8 years when i finally didn't have to wear it , especially the first night in bed with it off .Maybe you could post a pic of the modern brace and I will tell you how much it has changed .I hope you enjoy the site , take care Pikey .

angelsfan
9th August 2004, 01:52 AM
Thanks everyone for replying my first post. A lot of you asked me to tell you a little more about me. My name is Brian, I'm 14 and I live in Mission Viejo California. And yes, I'm an angels fan, Anaheim stadium is 30 minutes from our house. My mom said that I have Adolecent idipathic scoliosis. She has it too. She wore a milwaukee brace in 1970's for four years. her curve in went as high as the mid 30's but now it's in the low 20's and our doctor has said the brace worked for her. when she was done with treatment, the doctor said that there was a chance her childred could get scoliosis because it ran in the family. I guess my aunt had it. well I'm her only child so my chances were not good. I found out i had it last year and our regular doctor said that most likely it would not worsen. it did. When he decided to send me to an orthopedist he told my mom and i that if i needed a brace, it would'nt be like my moms. It would probably be like a plastic body brace. I remember seeing pictures of mom in her brace and Ididn't want anything like that. before I went to see Doctor Brown, i did a lot of surfing on the net and found braces like that but they still looked uncomfortable and i didn't want to wear a brace. Doctor Brown did his thing and in the end he told us that I had a C curve in my upper back at 27 degrees, alot like my moms. He said I needed to wear a brace and it would have to be a milwaukee since it's so high up in my back. plus some of you questioned why i was in a milwaukee? my brace maker says that he has eight other people in milwaukees, "they're coming back". I remember what our family doctor siad about if I needed a brace, it wouldn't be like my moms, well i've seen my moms old brace at my grandparents and it's identical to it. I've been in my brace since february. my doctor told me i have to wear it 23 1/2 hours a day probably for three years or so. I cant even imagine that. i hate it. I hated it so much that i stopped wearing it when my mom was at work this summer. but she caught me, told my doctor and they put a lock on the back of it. they taught me a lesson and took it off after a week. it sucked. so I guess i have stick with it now. i've met a few people who have really helped me. epsecially kathryn from the original scoliosis life. and a lady named stacy who lives in our area who wore a milwaukee and has had several surgeries. i also met a girl who wears a boston at the orange county fair. so thats it about me. again thanks for all the replies.

BlueIce
9th August 2004, 12:08 PM
I had a brace once, it was like a plastic corset and I had to wear it at night. But I was young (about 9 years or something) and stubborn and it wasn't very comfortable to sleep with, so after my mum put me to bed I took it off. My mum let me and we all forgot about my back a bit. I did visit a masseur untill I was 16 or something. I ended up with surgery, which isn't a very pleasant experience to go through.
I know I'm not the best person to tell you to wear your brace, but I would give it a try. I know three years seems long, but when you end up with surgery it takes you about a year to be back to normal. And in my case, I've lost a LOT of my flexibility (you can look at my xrays in the gallery). Please give the brace a try, just imagine how glad you'll be if it works for you

sins
9th August 2004, 12:29 PM
Milwaulkees are tough to wear, ther's no doubt.I got a plastic moulded milwaulkee in the late 1970's and although the neck ring is lower in the modern ones It still looks like a difficult piece of work!!
It was never adjusted and I outgrew it before I even got it.Modern Bracing is far better because doctors now know how to run a bracing programme properly.If you have discomfort, keep complaining until the brace is altered to suit you.
Noone can force you to wear the brace, but if you wish,we can try to help motivate you to wear it.In the end the decision has to be yours.I didn't wear my brace properly and my curve ended up at 110 degrees from an initial 45 degrees.My x ray is also in the gallery.........If you find wearing it a bit difficult this is a good place to vent and get it out of your system.
Sinead

BarmyArmy
9th August 2004, 12:52 PM
I've never worn a brace so I don't have any words of wisdom :( but good luck and I hope you're able to get some helpful advice from my friends on here that have been through this.

Kaja
9th August 2004, 01:21 PM
I have never had a brace, I just want to wish you all the best :-) I've had surgery though, and I'm 14.

Lieve
9th August 2004, 01:34 PM
I cannot speak through own experience either I have never had a brace. When they discovered it when I was 16 they told me it was too late for it. Now 14 years later x-rays confirmed a deterioration of my curves, not that much, however a brace would have maybe prevented it of getting worse, but I'll never know.

clarinetokc
9th August 2004, 06:26 PM
I have never had a brace, but if I had known about my scoliosis at your age, I would have had to do the same thing. My curves wouldn't be 50/40, and I wouldn't be needing surgery in February. I would have had more flexiblility at age 16 than I will now. I almost wish I had been able to wear a brace and avoid all this. But remember. It's totally up to you. I'm just giving you my two cents.

~Carrie

Carly
9th August 2004, 08:22 PM
I wish you luck with your brace. You seem very committed and I admire that! GOOD LUCK and if you have any questions dont be afraid to ask!

Kayla
9th August 2004, 09:22 PM
ooo Brian I hope you become a regular on this site!!! I am 14 too and I live in California San Diego area hehe yay Americans are catching up! About you not liking the brace I only ad a boston but I would sneak it off too but eventually it didnt matter I still had to have surgery

andrea
9th August 2004, 09:43 PM
Good luck with the brace Brian. Unfortunately I don't have any advice as it's my daughter who has scoliosis, not me, and her brace is a permanent one so I don't have the struggle of coaxing her into it every day. Hopefully you'll seek inspiration from those on here who have been through it themselves.