PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with a young child in a TLSO brace...

conni60640@gmail.com
28th September 2006, 11:20 PM
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I posted. My son Billy is six and has congenital scoliosis and is now six weeks post fusion (T11 - sacrum with pedicle screws and rods). He is currently in a cast and will be getting a Wilmington TLSO brace on Tuesday. From what I've seen, the brace opens in the front at side and attaches with velcro straps...

Does anyone else have a little one wearing a TLSO, and if so, how do they deal with toileting/dressing issues with the brace? Like getting undies and pants up and down by themselves in school? He's been out of school so far with homebound tutoring but I'd really like to get him back into school before he misses too much!

Any advice would be appreciated!

tonibunny
28th September 2006, 11:55 PM
I should think that once he's more or less back to normal after his operation, he'll adapt very quickly to wearing the TLSO, which will be lighter to wear than the cast. I was able to manage by myself in the loo whilst wearing a Milwaukee when I went to school aged 5. I was able to change in and out of PE kit without help as well :-)

andrea
29th September 2006, 06:37 PM
Hi there. Glad to hear Billy came through the fusion well. I can't believe it's been 6 weeks already. My daughter was still in nappies when she was in the TLSO, so I didn't have the toileting issues, but I can't imagine it would be more restrictive than a cast. She is currently in a cast and does fine with going to the toilet by herself and dressing. The only thing she really struggles with is socks. She can get them off but can't get them on, as generally speaking she can only get one hand to her feet at a time (the other one props her up so she doesn't fall over), and you can't easily put a sock on with one hand. She is only 4 though.

Anyhow, seeing as Billy is in a cast, I guess you know all this anyway (depending on the nature of the cast) :D

Hope to have helped a little. It's amazing how kids work out their own way of doing things no matter what obstacles are placed in their way.

Take care
Andrea
x

conni60640@gmail.com
4th October 2006, 06:57 PM
Thanks Andrea and Toni, turns out it's really a non issue. His TLSO is a wilmington brace, which is very light weight and form fitting, so his undies and pants pull up right over the brace with no problem. Looks like he'll be able to go back to school very soon! Thanks for the advice!