PDA

View Full Version : Does anything work?

sundayjunk
22nd September 2006, 08:25 PM
Does anyone have any information on non surgical scoliosis correction, exercises or stretching, mechanicle manipulation, anything that has worked to improve the deformity associated with a thoracic curve? I have an "S" shaped idiopathic curvature.

Little Ali
22nd September 2006, 10:28 PM
Hi there!

I also have a thoracic curve. As far as I'm aware, there isn't a great deal that can be done non-surgically to correct a curve once the person with scoliosis has stopped growing. I may be wrong. I go to the physio for manipulation and that really helps with the pain, but I don't think it can help to correct it. Also stretching out helps to relieve the tension caused by the curve. I find lying backwards over the edge of my bed really comfortable and relieving!

I'm sure the others will be able to help answer this question too.

I havem't seen you around here before I don't think so :welcome2:

sundayjunk
22nd September 2006, 11:59 PM
Thank you for your input, Ali. Actually, you responded on one of my other posts too. Thanks again for sharing and I hope you have a great weekend.

Joy
23rd September 2006, 11:40 AM
As far as I know, nothing except surgery can correct a curve once someone is done growing. But there are techniques that can offer pain relief, and possibly increased flexibility. As Ali said, physio can be helpful. I also used an inversion table for a while and found it help to take the pressure off my back.

scoligirl
24th September 2006, 10:50 AM
Hello!!!

I have scoliosis 30 degrees maybe more but don't have pain or need surgery. I was told things like swimming, yoga etc are good for flexibility etc.

I don't really do much though, I do some streches, toni posted a thread on here with some good exercises for core stability. It's important to have strong core muscles I think.

I don't think much can "improve" the curve, I would say it's best to stay healthy and work on staying flexible. I have a good video by the "back docter" who he himself has a curve, it's seven streches (excuse my spelling) a day theory to keep the back streched, (forgotton how to spell that word!!! Not very good) as when you get old the spine compresses (gravity) so stretch (wah-hey!) it everyday and it will help prevent it compressing (as compression on scoliotic spine will have pressure points)

Hope you can make sense of that

mark
26th September 2006, 10:28 PM
Hi Sundayjunk

Heres the link to the post Joy mentioned above

http://www.scoliosis-support.org/modules/i...433&hl=exercise (http://www.scoliosis-support.org/modules/ipboard/index.php?s=&showtopic=3433&hl=exercise)

Hope you find them useful

mark

Little Ali
27th September 2006, 05:50 PM
Oops...I have a bad memory! Sorry!

crkcallie
29th October 2006, 02:47 PM
I have found that doing yoga stretches has helped me a bunch. I have three curves in my spine, the worst being in my middle back at 90 degrees. I can't have the operation because of a lung problem that I have, so I will have to do yoga stretches for the rest of my life.

crkcallie
30th November 2006, 10:51 PM
Yes, there is something that can be done about correcting scoliosis non surgically. I have three curves in my back and I cannot have the surgery. You can do yoga in order to break up the muscles and straighten my back. That is what I have to do for the rest of my life.

MOB
2nd December 2006, 10:32 PM
Hi Colorado girl are you also scoliosis colarado?

crkcallie
2nd December 2006, 11:30 PM
Yes, I am. Why? Have you taken a look at my web site?

mark
3rd December 2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by coloradogirl@Nov 30 2006, 10:51 PM
Yes, there is something that can be done about correcting scoliosis non surgically. I have three curves in my back and I cannot have the surgery. You can do yoga in order to break up the muscles and straighten my back. That is what I have to do for the rest of my life.
Hi Callie

You can't correct a large curve by exercise alone you may be able to stabilise it to ensure it does not progress and you may gain a little improvement but without early intervention i.e bracing when the spine is still developing surgery may be the only answer.

Techniques in bracing have come along in leaps and bounds over the last couple of years and i am cetainly no expert on them but having read some very encouraging posts in both this forum and the juvenile forum some really good results have been achieved.

I am sorry to read that surgery appears not to be an option in your case due to the problems you have with your lung function however i am pleased to read that you have found a way to manage your scoliosis. Hopefully with advances in surgical techniques they may be a procedure that will enable you to have surgery in order to reduce the risk of any further damage to your lungs as you get older due to progression of your curves.