PDA

View Full Version : Pilates!!

Phil
20th September 2006, 03:45 PM
Simply, just looked in the paper and there is a pilates class starting near me soon. This does not happen often around here. As I've already said my unfused spine above T5 is starting to curve.

My flexibilty is really poor, I know pilates helps this as well as my posture. Had my surgery in December, am currently seeing Physio so am wondering what you guys think, should I go?

You guys know more than my physio or GP so welcome your advice. Need it rather fast though as there are only a few spaces :-? :help:

PS, hope you're all well.

titch
20th September 2006, 04:24 PM
As long as you are confident that you are self-aware enough not to overstress or overstretch anything (you know the old if-it-hurts-the-wrong-way-don't-do-it, and if it just feels like it's going too far at once, don't go further than you're comfortable with, as you can always build up gradually), I'd say why the heck not. I think the biggest problem is that you will be starting in a class, rather than with one on one instruction, so may find it difficult to keep up, or may find the teacher doesn't have enough time to adequately show you alternatives.

Would there be any chance that you could contact the tutor and find out if you could fit in a couple of one on one lessons before the class starts? That could give you some confidence (especially if you'll have long enough to cancel the course, should it be needed, without losing the whole entry fee), and give the tutor time to work out some good alternatives after meeting you, so that you'll get more out of the program.

zerodegrees
21st September 2006, 08:55 AM
I tried pilates for a few weeks but was unable to do most of the exercises that the class were doing (partly due to me & my mate laughing inappropriately I might add!). I would recommend one to one lessons for a wee bit if you can like titch said.

I ended up sticking with swimming & the physio I do at home instead.

cheers

john

DublinPauline
21st September 2006, 10:39 AM
You will be fine if the instructor can adapt the exercises to suit your fused spine and if you "listen to your body" in terms of what feels right. I've just started another course and the basic principle of keeping your "core muscles" (tummy) stable while doing various movements with your back, legs, etc has to be good for anyone with back problems. I have to forget about certain classic pilates movements like rolling the back up to a sitting position from lying down, and vice versa, its just not going to happen vertebrae by vertebrae with a fused spine. :cry: :-D

andy_d
21st September 2006, 12:39 PM
When I read the topic title, I thought it said Pirates...

yarghh! GROG!

Anyway...

I don't really know anything about Pilates, so can't really help in the slightest... I know plenty about pirates though

I know pilates involves strectching and stuff, I guess there would be no harm in you trying it, just be careful :P Have you mentioned it to your physio or consultant about Pilates? If so, what have they said?

Just thought it may be worth checking with someone before going and doing something. Will the pilates really help etc? :D Of course, the important thing is being careful and not doing anything stupid, and not pushing your body to far.

THAR SHE BLOWS!!!!

jfkimberly
22nd September 2006, 02:47 AM
If you do go, make sure you don't do anything that causes you discomfort. I read in your other thread that your fusion is solid, so that's good... your physician probably won't restrict you from pilates, but don't try to force your back to do things that it doesn't want to do. Having said that, I think anything to improve the muscles in your back would be worth a shot. If you follow up on it, let us know how you get on... especially if you find that it helps with that pesky area above T5. Good luck!

Joy
23rd September 2006, 11:44 AM
I tried pilates and found that some of the things that involved holding my neck off the floor were not a good idea. But I think that was partly due to my high fusion. Some of the movements were really helpful, though! Listen to your body and go for it! Just be sure that the teacher understands that your back simply does not bend certain ways!

MOB
25th September 2006, 06:07 PM
Hi Phil,

I think you should check with your physiotherapist first. I asked my physio about doing a course of pilates she said not just now but in about 6 -8 weeks time for me.

tonibunny
25th September 2006, 09:56 PM
We had a pilates and yoga taster session when I was in hospital a couple of weeks back. So long as your fusion is solid and you don't push your back into doing things it shouldn't (and you will know if you are doing that), you can do both yoga and pilates. The focus on core stabilising muscles is very, very helpful for anyone with spinal problems.