PDA

View Full Version : OPERATION DATE AS FINALLY ARRIVED

sarmstrongs
6th September 2006, 01:16 PM
Hi all ...... Great news Laurens surgeryis temporary planned for the 9th Nov. After a long wait she has to go in on the 18th oct for pre-operative assessment tests. We were told that she will be in untill the end of november. and that they will not know untill 5am on the 9th if surgery will take place that day.
Must say its a big release to know that things are finally moving :niceone:
will keep you posted on outcome on the 18th october as we are also going to see Dr Mehdian to discuss what will be happening and the risks involved

Little Ali
6th September 2006, 04:35 PM
That's really good news! :niceone:

Keep us posted and good luck with everything.
You know where we are if you have any questions.

:squeeze:

DublinPauline
6th September 2006, 11:20 PM
Great that you have a date now. Keep us posted on how Lauren does!

andrea
11th September 2006, 01:27 PM
That is good news - although probably a bit scary for you all too :squeeze: I guess they need to wait until the very last minute to make sure there is a bed available for you in the right ward, as well as other support staff on hand. How is Lauren feeling about it? I'm sure she'll take it in her stride. Keep in touch.

Abbi
11th September 2006, 07:33 PM
congrats on the date! I guess its a little overwhelming for you all! But hang in there, it'll be fine!!

We are all here for you :squeeze:

sg-ni
12th September 2006, 12:01 AM
All the best!.

newgirl
13th September 2006, 08:25 PM
Hi,
Glad to hear that all is falling into place for you,
Best of luck with the pre-op tests in Oct and let us know how you get on,
Nicola

sarmstrongs
2nd October 2006, 10:26 AM
Lauren is very emotional at the moment and crys at the littlest thing.
She goes in on the 18th october for the day for pre op assessment.
TRYING to take her mind off it all is proving to be quite stressfull . She is going away with school on the 5th to see william shakesperes birth place and a show overnight which she was looking forward to but now dosnt want to go. I have told her she has no choice that its been booked and she wil enjoy which iam sure she will when she gets there but at the same time she hasnt been away oin her own before so even iam a little concerned. Which i know is normal for us as mums am i wrong to make her go?
She has made a list of questions to ask when we go on the 18th some of them too touching to mention as adults our fears are the worse and i have been very positive and as honest as i can be when lauren as asked me cirtain questions will it hurt etc yes it will but they have medicine to make you feel better.
Iknow i shouldntr have but she has a diary and when i was cleaning her room i moved it and had a look and she is very concerned about dying and not going to heaven and if she does will i forget her and go on holidays with my other 3 children heart pulling thoughts which i wouldnt have expected her to feel but her fears are the same as mine do i speak to her about them i wouldnt let her know ive looked at her diary but feel that i should try to bring some of her fears into the open but know all i can do is reassure her.

sins
2nd October 2006, 11:53 AM
It brings me back to my own surgery when I was 15. Now as a mother of two I can symphatise with you and I can only try to imagine what you're going through right now.As a parent you can keep strong for her, even if you're panicking inside.A 15 year olds fears are so vivid no matter what you say to her, the fear of the pain will be the main thing.
I'm sure also, she's hoping for a good surgical improvement and the best thing you can do for her is to try and focus on how much better she'll look and the potential benefits of the surgery.
The sooner this surgery is over the better, because the waiting is cruel.
I think it's just something you'll both just have to endure and wait it out.
Once it's over you'll just heave a huge sigh of relief! In the meantime, just keep occupied, you're right to get her to go on her trip.
Try to round up her friends to rally behind her and keep her spirits up and reassure her that she's the most important person in your life and you'll be with her all the way.Hold tough and you'll both get there.
Sins

Round The Twist
2nd October 2006, 01:57 PM
Hi there,

I am new to this forum and I just wanted to say I hope everything goes well for you and your daughter.
I was 15 when I had my surgery and it is scary, but as a mum now myself, I think it is more scary for us than them.
I would be careful what you say to her about her fears in case she does realise you have read her diary, I know its hard but maybe you could get her on her own and tell her that she can tell/ask you anything she likes, its just between you and her or something similar, thats what I do with my kids, but mine are younger.
Ask her why she doesn't want to go on her trip, it might turn out to be nothing to do with her op, sometimes we have to be cruel to be kind and depending on her personality she might enjoy herself once she actually gets on the trip, but as her Mum only you can really know.

Just curious as to which Hospital you are at? Hope you don't mind me asking, I am under RNOH in Stanmore.

Kat x

Abbi
2nd October 2006, 11:01 PM
Hey!

Its totally normal for lauren and youself to be pretty emotional at this time!
When I had surgery last year I think I just sort of burried myself into SSO, and asked every question imaginable!

I didn't talk to my parents that much about how I felt, 'cos I really didn't know how I felt, I was up and down like a yo-yo, one moment I would be like "yay - nice new spine" next I was like "uh oh..this is pretty scary" I knew my parents were scared for me, which made me worry quite a bit!

I think, if you can...have a chat with Lauren, sometimes being open brings comfort!
If you can try to reassure her and be strong for her, it'll be a much more easier thing to go through for you both!
I know you are probably on such an emotional rollercoaster right now...and I really wish I could just forward this whole time for you and Lauren! But often difficult situations create stronger relationships. (sorry that sounds so cliche) but my mum and I get on so much better, and are very open with one another! (Before surgery I kept a lot of my feelings bottled up!)

I think this trip will be a very good thing for Lauren, a chance to relax and have fun with friends! I have been to straford-upon-avon a few times, and it is gorgeous!

Sorry to ramble....I hope pre op goes well on the 18th. I will be thinking of you both! :squeeze:

sarmstrongs
3rd October 2006, 08:44 AM
We sat down last night and had a heart to heart a few tears flowed between us but it all ended positive she was very open about how she feels one minite she wants the op so she can be as straight as posible but the next she fears she will die and i will forget her and carry on with holidays with the other children. Told her that it is normal to feel all those things and that even without operations like she will have other girls her age feel the same things but if she is ever frightened iam there to talk to it dosnt matter how silly she thinks it is she can always let me know.
I will always be there for her and how could i ever forget you your the one who made me mum which she felt quite proud of. But she left me a note on my pillow saying i love you mum thankyou for letting me talk to you alone can we have more of just us withoutr the others .
Answer to a previous question lauren is beung treated at the Queens Medical Centre Nottingham she is under Mr Mehdian

Round The Twist
3rd October 2006, 09:40 AM
Hiya,

I'm so glad you and Lauren had a heart to heart, it bought tears to my eyes and a lump to my throat reading your post.

The reason I asked where Lauren was being treated was because I am due for more surgery on the 9th November aswell and wondered if we were going to be at the same hospital.

I know I am much older (31) but if you want to contact me, or Lauren would like someone to 'compare notes' with drop me a line.

Kat x

ScoliJess
3rd October 2006, 09:11 PM
It's really good to hear that you have a date for the surgery, be sure to keep us all posted as to how it goes. I was 16 when I had my surgery and I remember being very worried and emotional too. I hope it all goes well!