PDA

View Full Version : prevention of post op DVT

Blair
30th July 2004, 01:46 AM
Ohhh... I hated those TED hose things! You're supposed to move them around a bit. But my nurses forgot to do that. And I got sores in the backs of my knees. I still have scars from them!

Flutemwc- Marching band, eh????? My sis played flute in her high school marching band (she is now graduated from college- Music major...). They were state champs three of the four years she was in. I was never big into band (I was somewhat lacking in the talent department, musically. And I don't like to make noise... LOL) , but they were a LOT of fun to watch. Does your band have their show picked out?????

Jonny
30th July 2004, 02:36 PM
I managed to get off the TED things - they just gave me exercises to do when I came round: clench your bum ten times, scrunch your toes up ten times, and raise each leg ten times every hour. I didn't bother but I was thrashing my legs about anyway enough not to get DVT.

BlueIce
30th July 2004, 03:20 PM
I found this on the internet:
T.E.D. hose should be worn continuously for 6 weeks after surgery unless instructed otherwise by your physician. The stockings may be removed once daily for up to one hour for bathing and skin care. :oops: I got rid of mine as soon as I got home, after 9 days. I did have injections with fraxiparine (or something like that) for about two more weeks. If you ask me, those stupid things are a real pain in the ass, mine were too big so I had to turn the end around for a few times which would always leave a big red line on my upper leg.They should really invent something else for these things.

Jonny
30th July 2004, 04:30 PM
An alternative to TEDs, apart from exercises, is a strange pneumatic massagey thing they can put under your legs, and every few minutes it inflates and starts rippling along your legs or something. I think that's mainly if you have immobile legs (leg surgery etc).

Blair
30th July 2004, 05:35 PM
I had to have BOTH of those stupid things. I had TED hose the whole time I was in the hospital. I only had to use the pneumatic thingies until I was up and walking around a couple times a day though. Thank god.
They really aren't *that* bad, but I had a preconcieved notion from my other surgery where I wasn't able to move for a full week except to roll over to prevent bed sores. I'd had an allergic reaction to one of my meds, and had hives all over my body pretty much, and had to wear those stuipd squeezy things. That was a miserable, scratchy mess.

Marti
30th July 2004, 06:17 PM
ugh... Glad I just had to do the exercises.

Kayla
30th July 2004, 06:41 PM
im not even glad I just had to do exercises

jfkimberly
30th July 2004, 07:34 PM
I had those stupid things on after my brain surgery two years ago. There were so many incentives to getting up and around again... they wouldn't remove the catheter or take off the sock things until I was able to get up out of bed.

Jonny
30th July 2004, 07:52 PM
They waited until I came round and proved I couldn't use a bottle before they put a catheter in, and they took it out a day before I could walk again. But when I was walking, I forgot I could walk, and I asked for a bottle, used it, and stood up and walked over and gave it back to them to empty. They were pretty annoyed!

jfkimberly
30th July 2004, 08:07 PM
hahahhahha! That's hilarious! But you're lucky... girls don't have the option of a bottle. We either have to get to the bathroom or have a catheter. :/

BlueIce
30th July 2004, 10:21 PM
argh, how I hated that thing. But I didn't even realise I had one untill they came to check it. But then again it was an excuse to call them in the middle of the night and say that I thought something was wrong with it. I was real glad they finally took it out, but walking to the bathroom with my IV wasn't the easiest thing either

Marti
31st July 2004, 04:30 AM
hehe jonny! I got my catheter out the day before I went home and that same day they gave me the wrong medicine. That night I was in so much pain that they had to bring some portable toilet thingy over to my bed.

Little~shedevil~dee
31st July 2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by jfkimberly@Jul 30 2004, 07:07 PM
hahahhahha! That's hilarious! But you're lucky... girls don't have the option of a bottle. We either have to get to the bathroom or have a catheter. :/
when i was in hospital because of my breast redcution i had to use a bed pan a nuse had to help me get on it as i could move after a few days i was allowed to get out of bed use one of them toilets they have on wheels lol

Joy
31st July 2004, 05:37 PM
I never had to use socks. My mo has to use them all the time though because she has varicose veins.

Vicki
1st August 2004, 10:22 AM
I didn't have the socks, but then again the scares about DVT hadn't really come to light when I had my surgery, I didn't even do all that much excercise come to think of it, which was probably quite bad considering I was on the stryker bed for a couple of weeks at a time, almost completely unable to move my legs.

Carly
1st August 2004, 07:29 PM
AAAHHH!! So gald that I dont need surgury.. doesnt sound to plesant! I have a great respect for all of you!

BarmyArmy
1st August 2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Carly@Aug 1 2004, 07:29 PM
AAAHHH!! So gald that I dont need surgury.. doesnt sound to plesant! I have a great respect for all of you!
I agree Carly *nods head* I'm always amazed at the experiences of our friends on here. They give me so much hope and inspiration and help put my problems in perspective when I'm having a bad day.

You are all heroes to me :cheers:

Carly
1st August 2004, 07:35 PM
:cheers: Here is a toast to all of our surgery friends!!!