PDA

View Full Version : Surgery for large bulging disc/kyphosis

evee0709
18th August 2006, 07:15 AM
Hi, My name is Evee.

I was diagnosed with Kyphosis. I just had a MRI, CT scan and diskogram on my lower back. They found a large bulging disc. They told me that I had Osteoarthritis. The doctor said I had lots of things going on with my back. He ask me which surgery do I want to do first? The kyphosis or the large bulging disk? I said the bulging disk. He told me after I get the MRI he would talk to me about surgery. I have an appointment next thursday. I am very scared and just going crazy wondering what kind of surgery is he going to do for the large bulging disk. His nurse said something about cutting the bone and fuseing the bones together.

Has anyone had surgery for a large bulging disk? Please tell me any details about the surgery. I need to know how long you were in the hospital, how big was the scar, how long to recover etc. I have a 3 year old and no one to watch him. I might be able to put him in respite since he has a disability. Also if there are several different options for surgery for the bulging disk. I was told not to get my spine fused. Did the surgery help with the pain? I have applied for SSI and am going to court in December. Im worried about if I have the surgery first maybe I might be denied. I still have to have surgery for the kyphosis.

Please help
Evee

Phil
18th August 2006, 02:05 PM
Hello, youve not recieved a welcome from me because I dont frequest round here so often nowadays but miss everyone.

Anyway.

Is there not a chance the prolapsed disc would be removed with correction of kyphosis, as in kyphosis?

One of my work colleagues has had his bulging discs removed and fused. I think he had two. He was in hospital for around 5 days, very small scar of about 4 inches and he was out of action for about 6 weeks.

Anyway, good luck and take care.

sins
18th August 2006, 04:11 PM
Hi evee and welcome.
The surgery for the bulging disc may not require fusion. It may be enough just to remove the disc itself if it is accessible.You will need to check this with your consultant. Make sure he's aware of your personal circumstances.
I guess the kyphosis surgery is a big undertaking and I feel you may need to arrange respite care for your little boy. No matter how you feel about doing that, you shouldn't feel bad about it.Getting your own health issues sorted out will make it better for you in the long term and make you fitter in order to cope with the demands of a samll child with special needs.
People on this board have limited experience of SSI and having to go to court, however may I recommend a good site where you may find more information from people who have been through the SSI experience.
http://www.scoliosis.org
They have some useful forums too.
Sinead

titch
18th August 2006, 11:40 PM
I'm sorry for the circumstances that have brought you here, but nevertheless :welcome2:

In purely practical terms, I think you should find out what disk it is that is problematic, and if the doctor decides that it needs fusing, it would probably be a good idea to discuss the kyphosis surgery and ask him what levels that would cover, and how he expects the 2 things to affect each other.

Given the complexity of your situation, it also might not hurt to get a second opinion if that is possible. There are some great adult surgeons out there who deal with some of the most complex cases including Dr Frank Rand in Boston, Dr Keith Bridwell in St Louis, Dr Mike LaGrone in Amarillo, Drs David Bradford, Sigurd Berven and Serena Hu in San Francisco and Dr Thomas Errico and Dr Oheneba Boachie both in New York. I'm sure there's a couple I've missed from the surgeons used by a Yahoo group I'm a member of, but can't bring them to mind right now. Oh yes - Dr Behrooz Akbarnia, who is somewhere or other in California and is current president of the Scoliosis Research Society is another one who is known to deal with adults. I'll add more if I can remember them.

I'm sorry we can't offer you any help with the SSI aspect of things - while we do have some US members, I don't think there is anyone who is active on this site who is on it, but as Sins has pointed out you should be able to get some information at www.scoliosis.org Meanwhile though, we're always here to talk to and will do our best to help you with anything that we can.

evee0709
19th August 2006, 08:12 AM
Thank you everyone for answering my post. I will look into that website.

evee

mark
21st August 2006, 12:53 PM
Hi evee welcome to SSO

I can't add more to whats been already said already

Any other questions you have just ask away and i hope you enjoy the site

take care

mark

zerodegrees
21st August 2006, 06:19 PM
hi evee

just a quickie to say welcome.

john

Little Ali
7th September 2006, 09:45 PM
Hi Evee! I've just realised I haven't said hello to you yet!
Sorry got the delay :welcome2: