PDA

View Full Version : Article about a girl with kyphosis

tonibunny
9th August 2006, 09:36 PM
Just thought I'd mention that the current copy of More magazine has an article about an 18 year old girl who had surgery for severe kyphosis. The girl grew up with a bad deformity and had to use a wheelchair because it was so severe. Other surgeons operated but their treatment failed. so she travelled to New York to be operated on by Dr Oheneba Boachie-Adjei, who I know is a very well known scoliosis/kyphosis surgeon in the states.

It's a good article and not overly-sensationalist as it is told from the girl's point of view. It does make you assume that the girl is from the UK, but I've just done some research and she's actually an American (I had been surprised that UK surgeons had let her get into such a state, TBH!).

Congratulations to the girl, Krystle Eginger, who now looks amazing. She's very pretty and is now enjoying her new back and is getting lots of male attention :D

ETA: Here (http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/health/bestdoctors/2005/11960/index.html) is more information that I have found about Krystle. It explains that she had VATER Syndrome and that her kyphosis was part of that. I'd just like to point out that VATER Syndrome does not necessarily cause a spinal deformity of this magnitude, as I know that a couple of our members have children with this condition, and don't want them to worry unduly!

butterflylr
10th August 2006, 08:10 AM
Wow. I found a picture of her before the surgery. Talk about amazing difference.

LINK (http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/MedicalMinute/story?id=826545&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312)

titch
10th August 2006, 12:17 PM
Dr Boachie is a true artist :-)

Abbi
10th August 2006, 06:31 PM
WOW!! that is such a major difference.....!!! He is some surgeon! :D

mark
11th August 2006, 10:53 AM
Yes that is a staggeringly good correction, outstanding

BeckyH
11th August 2006, 07:24 PM
wow, that's amazing. another one of those humbling stories.